Hound doggers this weekend!

Buckman18

I hope GON does a story about this hunt next month will be an interesting to read.

I just let my subscription run out after that goofball wrote an article about the turkeys going extinct. I haven't really found myself wanting to renew after that article of fake news.

greg_n_clayton

Until now, I really didn't realize there was so much dislike of folks who hunt with dogs ! From the different posts I have read, not just the bear hunters on these hunts, but people who hunt with dogs in general, are not very well thought of !! I have never heard anybody knocking folks that hunt dogs till now !! I guess we never know what/how most people think or believe in !

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Until now, I really didn't realize there was so much dislike of folks who hunt with dogs ! From the different posts I have read, not just the bear hunters on these hunts, but people who hunt with dogs in general, are not very well thought of !! I have never heard anybody knocking folks that hunt dogs till now !! I guess we never know what/how most people think or believe in !

Greg, I don't think most people are against houndsmen, they are simply not in favor of losing part of their season to them.

Christian hughey

Greg, I don't think most people are against houndsmen, they are simply not in favor of losing part of their season to them.
Bingo, not against them I just acknowledge how much of a factor the dog is locating the bears, doesn't make them less a men. They still hump it up and down those hills just like I do, they just have one heck of a nose ahead of them. If you put that same group together without the dog opportunity would go way down.

splatek

UAEC
The study that I just read about the fawn recruitment by mr kill master explained out of 8, 2 fawns were lost to bear 4 lost to coyote, 1 lost to Bush hogging and one died out of the whom. Seems like coyotes need the axe more than anything and I understand this was just one study and it will take years of study to truly understand.

Yeah I was listening to a guy from UGA talk about the coyote and bear problem and the general fawn recruitment issue. It appears to be a combo of a lot of things, sort of a perfect storm for the decrease in fawn recruitment: bear, coyote, habitate (or lack there of), and (according to what I heard, not me) mismanagement of doe harvest by hunters, which might be why now it's buck only east of 75. I would be interested to know what percentage of fawns were lost to late season prego does being harvested as a factor in that mix, as well. I am not sure if that's a real issue, but that's the, or one of the reasons I would like to know. My main issue, personal as it might be, is that to hunt deer right now I have to go south, thru ... Atlanta ... something I've successfully avoided for a long time. I much much much prefer the mountains, the fishing, the terrain, etc. Just being a newb, things took me south. So I'd love to see a mountain deer population explode, I know it wouldn't make me any better of a hunter, but heck at least I'd be NOT killing deer in an area I like to be. HA

Christian hughey

Yeah I was listening to a guy from UGA talk about the coyote and bear problem and the general fawn recruitment issue. It appears to be a combo of a lot of things, sort of a perfect storm for the decrease in fawn recruitment: bear, coyote, habitate (or lack there of), and (according to what I heard, not me) mismanagement of doe harvest by hunters, which might be why now it's buck only east of 75. I would be interested to know what percentage of fawns were lost to late season prego does being harvested as a factor in that mix, as well. I am not sure if that's a real issue, but that's the, or one of the reasons I would like to know. My main issue, personal as it might be, is that to hunt deer right now I have to go south, thru ... Atlanta ... something I've successfully avoided for a long time. I much much much prefer the mountains, the fishing, the terrain, etc. Just being a newb, things took me south. So I'd love to see a mountain deer population explode, I know it wouldn't make me any better of a hunter, but heck at least I'd be NOT killing deer in an area I like to be. HA
Piedmont region has some awesome deer hunting but I totally understand not wanting to come through Atlanta. As much as I enjoy hunting the mountains, if we had bear i would stay down here for that exact reason but our bear population suck so I'll see yall around.

Gator89

Splat, just get up real early, about 2 am, and put the hammer down through 'Lanta and get to your hunting spot just in time to go hunting. When I was living in NW Gwinnett, I would get up about 3 am, get dressed and hit the road for Baldwin county. I could stop at a Waffle House in Macon and still be at the lease with time to spare.

If you don't have to pull a utility trailer, a peach pass is a good thing to have, too.

Now that I have rejoined the Floriduh boys, I have a six hour drive instead of two.

Hillbilly stalker

If most of the dog hunting permits were issued to out of staters....I think that's just wrong no matter how you try to justify it. But on the same hand if you go back and read some of the earlier posts on this thread were people were talking about sucking up the issued tags by taking their wife's poodle bear dogging, that might be a self inflicted wound. Wheather they were just expressing frustration or being serious, the State sure eliminated that threat. A never met a dog hunter that didn't want to share the experience . Maybe next year the state will do it different to make it better for everyone. Some of y'all might make a new friend or learn something if you go on a dog hunt with someone. It's nothing like running deer or treeing coon with dog. Not from my expierence anyway. It's all hunting, stick together and work together. Give it a shot.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Dog hunters are also hunters like us and they deserve a shake at things also. But the state did a poor job with the timing, drawing, and other things in my opinion. It is what it is.

This^^^^^ I don't necessarily have a issue with them hunting. The timing is my main thing and the lack of in staters getting drawn is just plain wrong. I think the state needs to make ALL QUOTA hunts limited to 10-20% NR and the rest residents. Then on top of that charge them a fee to apply to begin with say $25 processing fee. Lord knows I've paid it before out west and in the midwest over the years.

Yep.

Heath

Got a couple of friends of mine on the hunt one of them me last night that they had a dog killed and couple cut up from hogs on Chattahoochee

Must have been so easy, them dogs laid down and died! Would you be open to coming up for a hunt sometime? I’ll gladly dispel your fears of anything being easy about mountain hunting with a dog. I’ll even take care of 3 meals a day and you can kill every hog you can crawl and climb to. We won’t be able to kill bear but you can video or take as many pictures as you want. Plan on coming 3 days in a row and if you can make it through the 3rd day I’ll give you $500 bucks for your trouble. It will be an eye opening experience for you, I promise.
I will not leave my dogs ever again because someone can’t go any further, make sure you can cover 8-10 miles a day and come enjoy this easy hunting!

brownitisdown

This^^^^^ I don't necessarily have a issue with them hunting. The timing is my main thing and the lack of in staters getting drawn is just plain wrong. I think the state needs to make ALL QUOTA hunts limited to 10-20% NR and the rest residents. Then on top of that charge them a fee to apply to begin with say $25 processing fee. Lord knows I've paid it before out west and in the midwest over the years.

I hear you that what I been saying for years I know Iowa use 10 bucks a point now it 50 bucks and we still pay it it usually that 3 years to drawed up there now it use to be 1 maybe 2

brownitisdown

Must have been so easy, them dogs laid down and died! Would you be open to coming up for a hunt sometime? I’ll gladly dispel your fears of anything being easy about mountain hunting with a dog. I’ll even take care of 3 meals a day and you can kill every hog you can crawl and climb to. We won’t be able to kill bear but you can video or take as many pictures as you want. Plan on coming 3 days in a row and if you can make it through the 3rd day I’ll give you $500 bucks for your trouble. It will be an eye opening experience for you, I promise.
I will not leave my dogs ever again because someone can’t go any further, make sure you can cover 8-10 miles a day and come enjoy this easy hunting!
I hunt the MTN all the time I don't need or want any help from you and I don't anything or anybody