Watch out!!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Curious why that is? I was going to start relocating them from my place to another place I own about 15 miles away.

Unfamiliar with a strange place from their own home range. A friend of mine worked down at Tall Timbers Research Station spent a good bit of time catching rattlesnakes, diamondbacks and canebrakes, and fitting them with tracking transmitters. The findings were that males had a home range of about a half mile. Females normal range was about a quarter mile.

rosewood

You would think one would have better sense than putting a live poisonous snake in the cab of a vehicle with oneself. Real head scratcher there...

Rosewood

fishnfool

Sorry I know I'll be pounded on by some but my thoughts of relocating a poisonous snake especially around my house is head buried and body somewhere else. Snakes and needles are the only thing in this world I'm scared of and they both turn me into a 12 year old girl.
A friend and I was bank fishing we were 17-18 years old. I seen him out of my peripheral rushing to grab a black rope that "I had all ready seen". Well his scurrying convinced my mind that that black rope was a Black Mamba! As he threw it I went into the matrix Keanu Reeves had nothing on me...then took off running. When I gathered my senses I turned kept running caught him, beat the living crap out of him, threw him in the lake, got in the truck and left him there! Later that day he came by apologized and asked if he could have his truck back? Lol
I don't do snakes well.

rosewood

It is all in your head.

I can't stand roaches, they will make me dance around. Snakes not so much.

Jim Boyd

You would think one would have better sense than putting a live poisonous snake in the cab of a vehicle with oneself. Real head scratcher there...

Rosewood

I did mine accidentally!

I do have a rattlesnake in a burlap bag story but we can save that one for another day.

I will remark that it got me kicked out of camp and a cold dinner by myself.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I did mine accidentally!

I do have a rattlesnake in a burlap bag story but we can save that one for another day.

I will remark that it got me kicked out of camp and a cold dinner by myself.

I got my very own freezer the easy way, back close to 40 years ago. My Lady took out a pack of deer link sausage to that out that was wrapped up in white plastic. She wasn`t real pleased to find a 3 foot cottonmouth instead. That didn`t go over real well. Little did she realize that it was only one of at least 30 more I had stored in there, mostly diamondbacks.

Only cost me one hollering at and a new freezer. facepalm:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I read a radio telemetry study a few years ago by a guy studying timber rattlers in the Appalachian mountains. He said that they seemed to be genetically imprinted on den sites that they had used for probably centuries, and if something happened to the den they would mostly crawl around until they froze to death. He said that two miles was the furthest from the den site that any of them traveled in the summer. So, I would assume that taking one too far away would kill it when winter comes.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
You would think. Oh well. I lived, so that made me the winner. :)
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
I've transported many a snakes that were poisonous back in my earlier days. Had a 4ft black racer get loose in momma's house.. I never told her it got loose. I told her I let it go.. :bounce:

I got my very own freezer the easy way, back close to 40 years ago. My Lady took out a pack of deer link sausage to that out that was wrapped up in white plastic. She wasn`t real pleased to find a 3 foot cottonmouth instead. That didn`t go over real well. Little did she realize that it was only one of at least 30 more I had stored in there, mostly diamondbacks.

Only cost me one hollering at and a new freezer. facepalm:

I got that big copperhead that got hit by a car in a clear vacuum sealed bag in my freezer. I've opened that chest freezer door and reached in to grab meat and that joker has scared me a few times. I finally stuck it inside a white trash bag..

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Unfamiliar with a strange place from their own home range. A friend of mine worked down at Tall Timbers Research Station spent a good bit of time catching rattlesnakes, diamondbacks and canebrakes, and fitting them with tracking transmitters. The findings were that males had a home range of about a half mile. Females normal range was about a quarter mile.
I read a radio telemetry study a few years ago by a guy studying timber rattlers in the Appalachian mountains. He said that they seemed to be genetically imprinted on den sites that they had used for probably centuries, and if something happened to the den they would mostly crawl around until they froze to death. He said that two miles was the furthest from the den site that any of them traveled in the summer. So, I would assume that taking one too far away would kill it when winter comes.
You boys are good teachers.. ;)

Juan De

I guess I’m one of the odd ones, but if it’s poisonous it’s time here is over, was bitten by a rattlesnake that crawled under my moms carport, and as a parent I couldn’t go through that and I don’t want to find one while turkey or deer hunting.

Latest posts