2020 Oglethorpe County

Arrow3

Terry Perry, owner of Firetower deer processing passed away last night .

Buford_Dawg

Terry Perry, owner of Firetower deer processing passed away last night .
Goodness, hate to hear that. I got his cell programmed into my phone as he told me several years back to call him directly anytime I wanted to drop off a hog if FT was not open.

Triple C

Sold a remington 770 in 270 yesterday and found a 7mm-08 Ruger American st sporting arms this afternoon. Somehow it followed me home ?
I never have been much of a gun guy. Just lucked up when my grandson was 9 or 10 and I went into a gun store and told the guy I wanted a youth model gun for my grandson. He pulls a youth model 7mm-08 off the rack and I walk out with it. Grandson loves that darn thing! He's 16 now and has taken a few deer and hogs with it.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Spent yesterday morning and this morning on the Oglethorpe lease.

Food plots are up and really looking great. Acorns, from both white and red oaks, litter the ground in our hardwood sections. Lots of buck activity on trail cams although much of it is still nocturnal.

Had a couple of visitors come by this morning. Thankful for younger, stronger backs and UTVs.

IMG-3994.jpgIMG-3997.jpg

hotamighty

@Todd E, it was really good meeting you and your dad. I really enjoyed talking with yall. That place kicked my butt too! With all the sign I was finding everywhere I walked, I thought for sure it was gonna happen. Oh well, I guess thats why they call it hunting! I saw a few small bucks but nothing big enough to shoot. I will be saving my points to make another trip in a few years. I like the place even though I came home empty handed. At least I met some new friends! That alone was worth the trip!

Last edited:

Triple C

Great bucks @fredw and @southernhunter17!

Just got home from a weekend of misses and cruising bucks. I'm 0 for 2 with the trad bow on bucks this year. Missed at 8 yds Saturday morn. Bound and determined to make it happen with the recurve. So far...deer don't have much to worry about. Lots of deer and lots of bucks cruising this weekend. Headed back down Wednesday for a few days of the chasing phase.

The coolest part of my weekend was Saturday morn after I had just missed a funky racked buck I watched square off with a larger buck Friday afternoon. They went at it about 10 minutes in the middle of a food plot. Saturday morn I'm hunting down near the bottoms and here he comes cruising out of the bottoms. Walks right to me and turns quartering away. Draw...release...and watch arrow plow in to the ground right in front of his brisket. He pays it no attention and just meanders back to where he came. Nocked another but didn't want to attempt a shot at 20ish yds.

Maybe 10 minutes afterwards I hear what sounds like a mountain lion screaming above me. Freaked me out. I look up into a blue sky to see to my amazement, 4 bald eagles soaring over head! Could not believe it. 3 weeks ago, Brooks and i drove down to Big_Red's place and saw a bald eagle on hwy 77S eating on road kill. Never knew we had em in this area. Pretty dang cool to see em flying over.

@Todd E...come on back to Oglethorpe. Bucks are cruising!

transfixer

@Triple C probably 25yrs ago or so I saw a single bald eagle soaring over some short planted pines on the lease next to ours where we are now, I was amazed and shocked to say the least, when I got back home I called the DNR office and also called over at the GON offices, I don't remember which one told me what, but one basically said I must have been mistaken, and the other one acting like I was telling a story,, but I know what I saw back then ! They're around,, probably a lot more of them now than back then, but they were around back then also.

Buford_Dawg

Been a long weekend in OC for me, hunted Friday thru today, saw good deer activity most every hunt, I think I got skunked one hunt. We took another pig, 2 does and a pretty nice buck this weekend out of our camp. Several other missed opportunities. The cold weather this AM really had deer moving, but late in the AM. And we are seeing young bucks cruising and looking. And much more buck activity on Trail cams, still mostly at night, but they are starting to show up. Going back down Wednesday evening for another 4 day weekend :)