Coydog?

GeorgeShu

This morning I stepped outside to take trash to the shed. Looked across the yard and saw a critter trying to find a way thru the hog wire fence that surrounds my place. Trotting along looking for a hole he could get thru.
Looked like a tallish coyote maybe 24” at shoulder, colored like a yote except for the face which was quite dark to almost black and had whitish patches on each cheek area. No visible collar.
I walked toward it and got to about 50 yards before it noticed me. It then tucked tail and hurried its pace down the fence line still probing for a spot to get thru. Finally made it into a wooded area and disappeared from view.
I know, no picture, did not happen. But it moved and I saw it.
Anyone ever see anything similar?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I saw a female years ago that had a litter of pups. 3 of them were black with a white blaze on there chest. They were bigger than there normal colored litter mates. Reminded me of all the black lab crosses you see.

Ive killed several off colored yotes over the years. They have all looked just like a normal yote except for thier color.

GeorgeShu

I am about 25 miles south of Savannah River and 55 miles to the coast.
Never have seen or heard of them being around here but you never know. Pictures of them I have seen looked more yellowish kinda like a yellow lab rather than he sable coloration of many yotes.
The one I saw was a dark sable pattern with a darker head with white cheeks, quite pretty actually.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I am about 25 miles south of Savannah River and 55 miles to the coast.
Never have seen or heard of them being around here but you never know. Pictures of them I have seen looked more yellowish kinda like a yellow lab rather than he sable coloration of many yotes.
The one I saw was a dark sable pattern with a darker head with white cheeks, quite pretty actually.

In my opinion, you`re seeing various color phase of the so-called nearly extinct red wolf.

Google, Bartram`s Wolf"

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Eastern yotes come in all colors and sizes. They pretty much all carry wolf and dog DNA. They are a totally different critter from the western coyotes. They are a mixture of different canine species, often heavy on the wolf.

GeorgeShu

I have a pair of resident yokes on my property in Screven County. I get pics of them a couple of times a week. The male definitely favors the longer leggedness of the red wolf, the female is more typical yote looking. I believe there is red wolf genes in the local populations.

The one in the yard was leggy and favored the red wolf look vs the smaller yote.

I got a pic of an odd looking coyote the other day. I had several people ask me if it was a dog or coyote. I said coyote, but it could.pass for dog. No idea how to post pics from my phone. Screven county too.

GeorgeShu

Here is a pic of the female from Screven County. They trot this road real regular. Male usually trails behind her.
Foxpenyoke.JPG

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a pair of resident yokes on my property in Screven County. I get pics of them a couple of times a week. The male definitely favors the longer leggedness of the red wolf, the female is more typical yote looking. I believe there is red wolf genes in the local populations.

The one in the yard was leggy and favored the red wolf look vs the smaller yote.
Every scientific study done on eastern "coyotes" so far shows that they average about 30% wolf DNA. And often up to 10% dog DNA. That's not speculation, it's fact. They aren't coyotes, they're a hybrid canine.

GeorgeShu

I agree with you on the research results. And thus plenty of variety in the gene pool to provide various colorations, body structures and size and temperament.