Which broadhead do you use and why?

Pilgrim

For years I shot the amazing Thunderhead 125; then switched to the 100gr version. When I found out the G5 Montecs (100gr) could be resharpened I switched to those. Then in an effort to get more blood on the ground, I switched to the fixed blade Ramcat. They've been great, but I really wish I could find a larger cutting fixed broadhead that could be resharpened. I'm sure there are plenty around. I'd love to hear what y'all shoot.

deast1988

VPA, 3blade 1.25in cut

Sixes

2 blade 125 grain Rage sc.

I shoot them because everything that I have shot with these heads have been devastated. I have trouble with blood since I am colorblind, but with these heads put in the right spot, I rarely need a blood trail and if I do, they make one that I can follow.

Most deer that I have shot have not made it more than a few seconds without going down.

I shot Slick Trick 125 magnums for years and never had an issue with them, and the only reason that I switched was to try something new. The ST mags hit hard and made big holes but the blood trails were nothing like what I found with the Rage.

Some hate them, but I have had 0 issues

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Rage, or a couple of different t heads like try glo 2 blade that act just like rage.

GregoryB.

I have been using the 100gr Grim Reaper Hybrid. It has worked great on Deer for me. Holes have been big and nasty. Lots of blood on the ground.

ddd-shooter

Love spitfires. Plenty big enough, but not so big. Good blade angle. Excellent tip. Cheap replacement blades, use most broad heads repeatedly with a change of blades. Great blood trails.
Been using them for decades.

sportsman94

Another vote for VPA 3 blades. I spent a lot of time looking at other heads and have shot deer with multiple heads over the last couple years. I really like the solid 3 blade design for a happy medium of blood trail, durability, and penetration. I put one head through 5 deer and would have got more use out of it if I could have found it after the last one I shot. You can also get these heads razor sharp. I ran out of the 1 1/4” cuts and now have 1 1/8” cuts vpas on most of my arrows. Only one deer to show for the 1 1/8” cut so far and didn’t look much at the blood trail because he was dead 10 yards from where he was shot. Another benefit of sharp cut on contacts that zip right through the deer is they often seem to not realize they’ve been hit if you aren’t going through bone. That was the case with the last one I shot and the reason he only went 10 yards.

sportsman94

These are the only pictures I have from the vpa 1 1/4” broadheads. Neither deer went over 60 yards. One Had a red carpet of blood a blind man could have followed, the other was sufficient enough to track on a dim headlamp after realizing my big light was dead.

Attachments

• 37B89948-1A13-467F-81D5-8BE43C7E7970.jpeg
    37B89948-1A13-467F-81D5-8BE43C7E7970.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 0D4BEE68-A981-41D9-B835-FE0B60C1F459.jpeg
    0D4BEE68-A981-41D9-B835-FE0B60C1F459.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 71
  • FB34CED2-BAD9-4141-904D-2DE81E9DF033.jpeg
    FB34CED2-BAD9-4141-904D-2DE81E9DF033.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 69B42AD5-502B-44B1-A4BC-61C62D248EA4.jpeg
    69B42AD5-502B-44B1-A4BC-61C62D248EA4.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 71

Pilgrim

@sportsman94 Awesome! Do you prefer the vented heads, or no?

GeorgiaGlockMan

G5 montecs because they work and I bought a mess of them on clearance. Easy to sharpen too.

I like fixed 1 piece blades.

Nothing worse than fiddling with a broadhead that has removable blades. Had several brands that I tried that just wouldn't stay together. They were always rattling loose. Great way to cut yourself too.

psedna

UAEC
Trying the SEVR expandable, grandson shot a nice doe and it did the job - I like that it pivots, flys straight/etc... Holding out for a really good buck, hopefully will have more info sooon...

Gut_Pile

125gr Magnus Black Hornet Ser Razor

They are insanely sharp from the factory and with a strop I can get them scary. They resharpen well, and if all else fails the blades can be replaced with ease. They also fly really well out of my bow.

Ihunt

Pilgrim,
Look at Simmons Broadheads if you want a monster COC that can be resharpened.