Hog Hunting WMA Year round

Deer71982

I spoke with dnr they are against it . I almost feel they treat us public land hunters like we aren't the same as club members or people that own large tracts of land

HogKillaDNR

How many people feel we need to tell DNR that we as hog hunters want all WMA open to hog hunting year round not just on private lands. If you feel the way i do . Call, email, or write dnr and tell them to stop treating WMA hunters like second class sportsman and open all lands up year round for the hunting public.
I completely understand your pain. This can have both positive and negative impacts when it comes to going after certain animals plus create a lot more hunting pressure for certain animals when their seasons do open. It helps with wildlife management and gives your better hunting opportunities.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I spoke with dnr they are against it . I almost feel they treat us public land hunters like we aren't the same as club members or people that own large tracts of land

Public land hunters aren't being "mistreated", you have to manage public land more restrictively because it can get too much hunting pressure and deplete game populations if you don't. I'm referring to game animals here, not hogs. Look at the other threads for the reasons why year-round hog hunting may not be the best thing for public land. If you think you're being mistreated then you might be interested to know that more than half of the budget is spent managing public land that 75% of hunters that paid license fees and excise taxes into the system don't use.

Last edited:

across the river

You aren’t in the same club. Just like the guy in public housing or riding public transit isn’t “in the same club” as the guy who owns (or makes the payment to the bank) his own house or truck.

HogKillaDNR

You aren’t in the same club. Just like the guy in public housing or riding public transit isn’t “in the same club” as the guy who owns (or makes the payment to the bank) his own house or truck.
Public housing is a complete different comparison. That was designed to keep certain groups of people from obtaining mortgages years ago. They didn't give everyone equal rights to obtaining mortgages.

across the river

Public housing is a complete different comparison. That was designed to keep certain groups of people from obtaining mortgages years ago. They didn't give everyone equal rights to obtaining mortgages.

It’s not different at all. There are “rules” that apply to people live in public housing, ride public transit, hunt public land, etc…. that don’t apply to the private equivalent, and typically for good reason, which is primarily people will bleed the public for whatever they can get out it, where as people who have skin in the game typically take care of the private themselves. If I fish public water, I am restricted to the size limits, creel limits, fishing hours, etc…. on the lake, PFA, river, or wherever I’m fishing. If I am fishing my pond that I stocked myself, then I can catch and keep whatever I want, and fish whenever I want. I have the ability to manage private myself. The government has to manage public, hence the different rules.

HogKillaDNR

It’s not different at all. There are “rules” that apply to people live in public housing, ride public transit, hunt public land, etc…. that don’t apply to the private equivalent, and typically for good reason, which is primarily people will bleed the public for whatever they can get out it, where as people who have skin in the game typically take care of the private themselves. If I fish public water, I am restricted to the size limits, creel limits, fishing hours, etc…. on the lake, PFA, river, or wherever I’m fishing. If I am fishing my pond that I stocked myself, then I can catch and keep whatever I want, and fish whenever I want. I have the ability to manage private myself. The government has to manage public, hence the different rules.

You're still missing the point. Public housing was designed to hold certain groups of people back. You need to do a little research when it come to who and who wasn't allowed to have mortgages. Then all the steps these people had to go through just to get one. Completely different ballgame between hunting and fishing.

Fair Housing Act (FHA) of 1968
In 1948, the Supreme Court deemed racially restrictive deed covenants unenforceable. Twenty years later, the Fair Housing Act (FHA) was enacted. The Act protects people from discrimination when they rent or buy a home, get a mortgage, seek housing assistance, or engage in other housing-related activities. It forbids discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including gender, gender identity, and sexual orientation), familial status, or disability during any part of a residential real estate transaction.4

across the river

You're still missing the point. Public housing was designed to hold certain groups of people back. You need to do a little research when it come to who and who wasn't allowed to have mortgages. Then all the steps these people had to go through just to get one. Completely different ballgame between hunting and fishing.

Fair Housing Act (FHA) of 1968
In 1948, the Supreme Court deemed racially restrictive deed covenants unenforceable. Twenty years later, the Fair Housing Act (FHA) was enacted. The Act protects people from discrimination when they rent or buy a home, get a mortgage, seek housing assistance, or engage in other housing-related activities. It forbids discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including gender, gender identity, and sexual orientation), familial status, or disability during any part of a residential real estate transaction.4

The majority of the “public land” that you are allowed to hunt wasn’t created or acquired for hunting. Corps Land, U.G.A. owns B.F.Grant, Georgia Power, VPAs, etc……. Where it “originates” or the original purpose has zero to do with it. Neither does the original purpose of public housing.

In any situation, if you are relying on the government to provide you with something, there are going to be restrictions placed upon that usage that are not placed upon those who use private property. How is that confusing?

HogKillaDNR

The majority of the “public land” that you are allowed to hunt wasn’t created or acquired for hunting. Corps Land, U.G.A. owns B.F.Grant, Georgia Power, VPAs, etc……. Where it “originates” or the original purpose has zero to do with it. Neither does the original purpose of public housing.

In any situation, if you are relying on the government to provide you with something, there are going to be restrictions placed upon that usage that are not placed upon those who use private property. How is that confusing?
You're still side stepping and missing the point. It's still two separate issues.

Waddams

There's a guy in my office that claims a new rule was being looked at to allow year round hog hunting on public land. I had not looked it up for myself but I'd wondered if was true, and if it was, what would the impact be to public land hunting overall? Even if people truly stuck to just hogs when everything else was out of season and there was no poaching of anything (fat chance of that), the pressure of more people in the woods I think would keep game more skittish and make game even harder to get a daylight shot at during their seasons.

I'd be all for limited permit hog hunting year round, though. Just keep the numbers of people in the woods down. Or even public help with hog trapping on public land to keep hog numbers under control.

But unlimited public hog hunting year round - the unintended consequences to other game (particularly due to the less than responsible segment of society that would be in the woods) make me hesitant about it.

HogKillaDNR

There's a guy in my office that claims a new rule was being looked at to allow year round hog hunting on public land. I had not looked it up for myself but I'd wondered if was true, and if it was, what would the impact be to public land hunting overall? Even if people truly stuck to just hogs when everything else was out of season and there was no poaching of anything (fat chance of that), the pressure of more people in the woods I think would keep game more skittish and make game even harder to get a daylight shot at during their seasons.

I'd be all for limited permit hog hunting year round, though. Just keep the numbers of people in the woods down. Or even public help with hog trapping on public land to keep hog numbers under control.

But unlimited public hog hunting year round - the unintended consequences to other game (particularly due to the less than responsible segment of society that would be in the woods) make me hesitant about it.
I hunt Federal land here in Alabama and you can hunt year round. The animals know this and remain more skiddish.

north_ga fireman

they would be more open to year round, but somewhere somehow there has been more than few that has spoiled it for all of us. they assume that all game will hunted or killed just my humble opinion

Waddams

I hunt Federal land here in Alabama and you can hunt year round. The animals know this and remain more skiddish.

Yeah. The critters don't know which critters are being hunted or not. They just know people in the woods and that's seen as a threat (which it is in reality no matter how you cut it).

That said, they also say hogs are a nuissance and getting worse on public lands overall. If they want to make a dent, they gotta let more people get in there and get after the hogs more often.

It might be a pick your poison situation.