Hog Hunting WMA Year round

HogKillaDNR

Yeah. The critters don't know which critters are being hunted or not. They just know people in the woods and that's seen as a threat (which it is in reality no matter how you cut it).

That said, they also say hogs are a nuissance and getting worse on public lands overall. If they want to make a dent, they gotta let more people get in there and get after the hogs more often.

It might be a pick your poison situation.
I really enjoy hunting and trapping them. I feel like trapping lowers the number quicker because your able to catch more instead of them running when shots are fired. Plus that sends them to other properties and new damage.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
It’s not different at all. There are “rules” that apply to people live in public housing, ride public transit, hunt public land, etc…. that don’t apply to the private equivalent, and typically for good reason, which is primarily people will bleed the public for whatever they can get out it, where as people who have skin in the game typically take care of the private themselves. If I fish public water, I am restricted to the size limits, creel limits, fishing hours, etc…. on the lake, PFA, river, or wherever I’m fishing. If I am fishing my pond that I stocked myself, then I can catch and keep whatever I want, and fish whenever I want. I have the ability to manage private myself. The government has to manage public, hence the different rules.
Gotta agree with this^^^ Even a bunch of private clubs may restrict limits etc based on the management needs……like a 1 Turkey limit etc..
I’d love to be able to chase hogs all year long on WMAs, but it’s probably best to let them rest.

HogKillaDNR

Why not join a club instead of relying on the Govt to run the show for you? Plenty of clubs loaded with hogs you could hunt all summer and not have to complain. You may have to “pay your way” but plenty of us do just that.... never understood these posts.
Especially when public housing is compared to hunting. I completely agree with you.

HogKillaDNR

Most like me have kids and family's can't afford 1,000 a year to hunt compared to 50 for hunting license and lots of land to use
You might want to check with some of the military bases who allow hunting federal land. Some like Fort Benning and Fort Rucker have plenty of hogs that can be hunted year round.

HogKillaDNR

Fort benning have to be military, dependent of military or r od employee, was thing fort stewart
Wow, I didn't know that. I hope Fort Rucker don't change when then name change takes affect.

ucfireman

Why not join a club instead of relying on the Govt to run the show for you?
Because I pay taxes and would like for my taxes to be used to my benefit. The state already uses my taxes to provide the land so why is it unheard of to be able to use the land as I would like?

You might want to check with some of the military bases who allow hunting federal land. Some like Fort Benning and Fort Rucker have plenty of hogs that can be hunted year round.
When I have looked into the military bases I have not seen access for the public, only military folks. Am I missing something?

HogKillaDNR

Because I pay taxes and would like for my taxes to be used to my benefit. The state already uses my taxes to provide the land so why is it unheard of to be able to use the land as I would like?

When I have looked into the military bases I have not seen access for the public, only military folks. Am I missing something?
Yes you are.