Hey yall

Blackston

My new spot this year has cows I’m allowed to hunt for free …. Farmer mentioned coyotes and trapping…… So I’m gonna try …. I’ve been reading and reading….. Is this something that will be helpful for me to start or should I not waste my money on this “ kit “Pic won’t load but it’s a MB 550 kit it’s about 220$

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
My new spot this year has cows I’m allowed to hunt for free …. Farmer mentioned coyotes and trapping…… So I’m gonna try …. I’ve been reading and reading….. Is this something that will be helpful for me to start or should I not waste my money on this “ kit “Pic won’t load but it’s a MB 550 kit it’s about 220$

And so it begins...:bounce:

MB550s are the way to go. Keep us posted on your progress. Learning to trap is a cool process, and when you ride up on that first caught coyote, it's as good as your first deer, first fish, first...

Well you get the idea.

Plenty of good trappers here too, I'm just not one of them...:ROFLMAO:

Doug B.

Screenshot_20221231_081425_Chrome.jpg
I'm guessing that this is the package you are talking about. If it is then yes it would be a good starter kit and gives you the fundamental tools and equipment to get you going.

You could get a different package that would be cheaper but for another $20-$30 you will have one that you will probably be more satisfied with.

Don't be surprised When you realize that you "need" to have some other stuff such as more traps, lure, tools, hardware, etc!!!

There are a lot of great threads in this forum and great trappers to help answer any questions you may have. Youtube is another great resource to learn from.

We can't wait to see pictures of your progress, your trapline, catches, or anything you run up on as you are out trapping!!!

sportsman94

If you’ll be trapping in a pasture that cows are actively in then your trapping start is likely to be a little more difficult than other folks. Most times cows can’t help but investigate a set and will often follow you around the pasture. Once you drive away they will proceed to stomp all over your sets and you’ll have to remake them every night. If you can get permission to set up just outside of the fence you can avoid those problems. If you can’t, then I would look up step down dirt holes because cows generally won’t step into them. There’s also a couple tricks to lessen your odds of the cows ruining sets. On set day carry a couple bales or hay and take them to the far end of the pasture where you won’t be setting. The cows won’t see you make sets and May be less likely to find them. You can also put your lure and bait up high on something so they can satisfy their curiosity without stomping your set to do it. If the fencing is all barb wire then you have a bit of a scouting dream. Ride the edges and see where they are crossing by looking for light colored hair on the bottom two strands. Cows definitely seem to attract coyotes so you should be in a target Rich environment. Good luck with your new hobby!

Blackston

If you’ll be trapping in a pasture that cows are actively in then your trapping start is likely to be a little more difficult than other folks. Most times cows can’t help but investigate a set and will often follow you around the pasture. Once you drive away they will proceed to stomp all over your sets and you’ll have to remake them every night. If you can get permission to set up just outside of the fence you can avoid those problems. If you can’t, then I would look up step down dirt holes because cows generally won’t step into them. There’s also a couple tricks to lessen your odds of the cows ruining sets. On set day carry a couple bales or hay and take them to the far end of the pasture where you won’t be setting. The cows won’t see you make sets and May be less likely to find them. You can also put your lure and bait up high on something so they can satisfy their curiosity without stomping your set to do it. If the fencing is all barb wire then you have a bit of a scouting dream. Ride the edges and see where they are crossing by looking for light colored hair on the bottom two strands. Cows definitely seem to attract coyotes so you should be in a target Rich environment. Good luck with your new hobby!
Thanks man !!! I’m really excited to get started there’s some woods and edges and un fenced ag fields I’m hopin to start there ….. I’m a little intimidated by makin my “ first set “

sportsman94

When you get your traps practice bedding them in the yard a few times before you go set. What you want is the trap to sit in the bed and be rock solid so if they step anywhere besides the pan there is no movement. The management advantage has probably the best video showing how to bed a trap quickly in my opinion. I used to spend 5-7 minutes on each set packing the dirt in every crevice, but when soil conditions are correct I do what that video shows and it achieves the same goal much quicker. Bed the trap solid, find the most attractive bait/lure that you can, and put it anywhere from 4-12” past the trap either in a hole or on a tuft of grass/bone/****/etc. Bedding is the most important part, but attractive baits and lures will increase your odds tremendously by making them work the set instead of just giving it one sniff. Oh, and go ahead and catch yourself once or twice early on. You’ll get a lot braver around the traps when you realize they aren’t that bad. I used to never stick my fingers inside of the jaws when it was set. Would only use a stick to do that. Now I just use my fingers and accept the fact that I’ll get caught a couple times

Blackston

When you get your traps practice bedding them in the yard a few times before you go set. What you want is the trap to sit in the bed and be rock solid so if they step anywhere besides the pan there is no movement. The management advantage has probably the best video showing how to bed a trap quickly in my opinion. I used to spend 5-7 minutes on each set packing the dirt in every crevice, but when soil conditions are correct I do what that video shows and it achieves the same goal much quicker. Bed the trap solid, find the most attractive bait/lure that you can, and put it anywhere from 4-12” past the trap either in a hole or on a tuft of grass/bone/****/etc. Bedding is the most important part, but attractive baits and lures will increase your odds tremendously by making them work the set instead of just giving it one sniff. Oh, and go ahead and catch yourself once or twice early on. You’ll get a lot braver around the traps when you realize they aren’t that bad. I used to never stick my fingers inside of the jaws when it was set. Would only use a stick to do that. Now I just use my fingers and accept the fact that I’ll get caught a couple times
Thanks !!!I keep hearing bedding I think I understand this ….. What about pan covers and peat moss ( is moss necessary? )

Doug B.

Thanks !!!I keep hearing bedding I think I understand this ….. What about pan covers and peat moss ( is moss necessary? )
I use peat moss here but I'm in the mountains where the ground is froze most nights during the winter. I don't use it much if the weather is warm but some on here do no matter what. It takes a little getting used to cause it don't pack like dirt does. I do use polyfil under the pan so nothing gets under it and the pan will go down when an animal steps on it.

I will also say an important part of catching critters is set on sign. Once you get used to looking for sign you will be amazed at how much you can figure out about critters by the sign they leave.

sportsman94

I’m a polyfill under the pan and peat moss between the jaws kind of guy. I tried straight peat and didn’t like it. Polyfill by itself under the pan works good, but 550s will still let dirt or sand wash underneath at times. I used to use screen pan covers back in the day and never had many issues. Just changed because they allowed digging animals to hook the screen with their nails while digging

furtaker

One trick to bedding a trap...throw a little loose dirt in your trap bed, and firmly squeeze the dirt under your trap levers using your thumb and fingers. Works pretty well.

Last edited:

furtaker

I’m a polyfill under the pan and peat moss between the jaws kind of guy. I tried straight peat and didn’t like it. Polyfill by itself under the pan works good, but 550s will still let dirt or sand wash underneath at times. I used to use screen pan covers back in the day and never had many issues. Just changed because they allowed digging animals to hook the screen with their nails while digging
I like how dry and weather resistant peat moss is but that's about as far as it goes. I hate trying to bed a trap in straight peat.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
In your dirt I’d just go with a little polyfill under your pan and forget the rest . I’ve tried it all and this works for me . The main thing is don’t get discouraged when you don’t catch one after a few nights . Lots of times it takes a while . I learned a ton from these experts on here and wouldn’t have been near as successful without them . Far as setting traps YouTube helped me a lot . Check out coyote trapping, making a dirt hole set on YouTube , lots of great videos

Blackston

In your dirt I’d just go with a little polyfill under your pan and forget the rest . I’ve tried it all and this works for me . The main thing is don’t get discouraged when you don’t catch one after a few nights . Lots of times it takes a while . I learned a ton from these experts on here and wouldn’t have been near as successful without them . Far as setting traps YouTube helped me a lot . Check out coyote trapping, making a dirt hole set on YouTube , lots of great videos
Thanks Ant I’ve been trying to soak it all in …. But as predicted I had a member that lives real close offer to let me tag along …… GON folks is the BEST …. I got one last Deer adventure…. I don’t really fish .. so I think this will be fun for me and my partner!!!

Blackston

I also became pretty proficient with box traps for coons … back when I was unemployed and unemployable I ran 8- 10 live traps to keep gas in the druggie buggie …. Maybe this will help a little… I know it’s literally 2 different animals( I share openly about my past …. Most of y’all from the deer forum know …. Hope that doesn’t offend anyone….Jesus freed me and i tell anyone that will listen!!!)

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
It’s awesome that you found the Lord and turned your life around. It’s great for you to share your testimony with us.

sleepr71

Thanks man !!! I’m really excited to get started there’s some woods and edges and un fenced ag fields I’m hopin to start there ….. I’m a little intimidated by makin my “ first set “

Practice setting,bedding your anchors,traps,etc before ever boiling them. Especially practice digging out your holes & bedding your traps. Learn to get it just below grade & solid..so it doesn’t rock..at all. Then sift a little peat moss & dirt over the whole set. I take a foot long piece of 3/4 heater hose with me to fire my traps. It gives them something soft to snap shut on (besides my fingers)..:) Plenty of threads on here about the tools & equipment we use & what’s helpful. Plenty of great advice to be had in here also ;)

Blackston

Practice setting,bedding your anchors,traps,etc before ever boiling them. Especially practice digging out your holes & bedding your traps. Learn to get it just below grade & solid..so it doesn’t rock..at all. Then sift a little peat moss & dirt over the whole set. I take a foot long piece of 3/4 heater hose with me to fire my traps. It gives them something soft to snap shut on (besides my fingers)..:) Plenty of threads on here about the tools & equipment we use & what’s helpful. Plenty of great advice to be had in here also ;)
Thanks I’ve been looking at “tools “ I got lots of toys to build at the welding shop at lunchtime

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I also became pretty proficient with box traps for coons … back when I was unemployed and unemployable I ran 8- 10 live traps to keep gas in the druggie buggie …. Maybe this will help a little… I know it’s literally 2 different animals( I share openly about my past …. Most of y’all from the deer forum know …. Hope that doesn’t offend anyone….Jesus freed me and i tell anyone that will listen!!!)
Amen brother ! I can assure you no one here will be offended by a man freed by Jesus ! And a ride along with an experienced trapper will shorten the learning curve a lot . But if you stay with it you’ll figure out things that work better for you .