Hey yall

furtaker

I’m a polyfill under the pan and peat moss between the jaws kind of guy. I tried straight peat and didn’t like it. Polyfill by itself under the pan works good, but 550s will still let dirt or sand wash underneath at times. I used to use screen pan covers back in the day and never had many issues. Just changed because they allowed digging animals to hook the screen with their nails while digging
I've never understood why some guys like screen pan covers. I've never tried them but they're more expensive, and it looks like they have a tendency to bow up to a high spot on top of the pan after the trap is set and bedded, at least in the videos I've seen. And I guess they're not reusable because they will stink and/or be chewed up after you make a catch. Wax paper or polyfil seems so much easier and cheaper, yet some very good old school trappers still love screen pan covers. What am I missing here?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Cost is negligible. Just go to home improvement store and buy fiberglass screen. Comes in rolls and one roll gives you hundreds of 4x4 screens. Makes no sound when the game steps on pan.
Waterproof and lets water pass through and no scent.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I've never understood why some guys like screen pan covers. I've never tried them but they're more expensive, and it looks like they have a tendency to bow up to a high spot on top of the pan after the trap is set and bedded, at least in the videos I've seen. And I guess they're not reusable because they will stink and/or be chewed up after you make a catch. Wax paper or polyfil seems so much easier and cheaper, yet some very good old school trappers still love screen pan covers. What am I missing here?
That’s what I started out using and learned to hate them . Tried some poly fill and don’t think I will ever use anything else . I will have to say the screens did hold up in the rain

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Wax paper was what my uncle's used

Doug B.

There is a lot of things that will work for pan covers. Some use the latex pan covers. Some use coffee filters. Saran wrap. A big leaf. Landscape fabric. Insulation under the pan. There is an endless list of stuff that can be used.

The very best thing you can use is what works for you. I have used different things but polyfil works for me. I probably don't use as much of it as most people do. It honestly only takes a small amount. Play around with it. Try different things. The best thing is what works for you!

WOODIE13

There is a lot of things that will work for pan covers. Some use the latex pan covers. Some use coffee filters. Saran wrap. A big leaf. Landscape fabric. Insulation under the pan. There is an endless list of stuff that can be used.

The very best thing you can use is what works for you. I have used different things but polyfil works for me. I probably don't use as much of it as most people do. It honestly only takes a small amount. Play around with it. Try different things. The best thing is what works for you!
Just loaded my pack with wax paper and some trace mineral salt, we will see, been a while running traps.

Happy trapping

WOODIE13

Have my 10 and 8 yr old granddaughters out with me tomorrow...say a prayer...may let them do a drive to the snares ;)

Blackston

Come on Blackston! We are ready to hear what's going on with your trapping adventures!!!
Wellllllll ….. I had some unforeseen expenses arise , I’m sure we all know how that goes , But I’m due a meager refund from my taxes this year I’m hoping to order my kit soon. ….. I’ll be living through y’all till then !!!