Do trail cams belong on public land?

Do trail cameras belong on public land?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's obvious. I don't think anyone is arguing for privacy in the woods. For me the issue is the powers that be with the residents of the state need to start thinking about this topic and address it because there could easily be a time in the not too distant future where there are either cell cams or surveillance cams throughout the woods. Cell by private persons and surveillance by GOVT. Waiting until after the fact is almost always pointless.

Who really wants GOVT cameras throughout the woods simply because the technology is cheap and why not we already have em deployed on the streets in the cities and towns?
Again, most of the public land I hunt has no cell signal, so it's a moot point.

basshappy

BANNED
Again, most of the public land I hunt has no cell signal, so it's a moot point.

The cost of technology continues to cheapen. It doesn't take much to run battery and solar backed cameras where no cell signal exists. Even satellite plans are affordable these days.

The public land we enjoy here in GA, many PFAs and WMAs all have cell signal. Some in NGA mountains do not.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
dear_god_stop.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The cost of technology continues to cheapen. It doesn't take much to run battery and solar backed cameras where no cell signal exists. Even satellite plans are affordable these days.

The public land we enjoy here in GA, many PFAs and WMAs all have cell signal. Some in NGA mountains do not.
I have more signal on some of the mountain NF land here than on WMA land where I hunt on the SC/GA border. My private land down there has 0 cell signal, you can't even send or receive a text.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
You ain't gonna "run into the woods" around here and kill a deer or bear. And there's a 1000% difference between out west and here. How much do you actually hunt public land? I hunt it frequently.
Side note—it’s humorous to me how folks from out west think the area you live in isn’t as wild or rugged as where they live simply because there aren’t snow capped peaks.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Side note—it’s humorous to me how folks from out west think the area you live in isn’t as wild or rugged as where they live simply because there aren’t snow capped peaks.
Our peaks actually are snow-capped at the moment. Have been for over a week. The valleys are frozen solid, for that matter.

cowhornedspike

That's obvious. I don't think anyone is arguing for privacy in the woods. For me the issue is the powers that be with the residents of the state need to start thinking about this topic and address it because there could easily be a time in the not too distant future where there are either cell cams or surveillance cams throughout the woods. Cell by private persons and surveillance by GOVT. Waiting until after the fact is almost always pointless.

Who really wants GOVT cameras throughout the woods simply because the technology is cheap and why not we already have em deployed on the streets in the cities and towns?

Do you use the regular strength foil or the Heavy Duty foil for you hats?...

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

Yep.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Turn 'em loose in the middle of the Kinch and then see how rugged they think the South is. If they make it back out alive. :bounce:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
There, and some of the other places I ramble, they sure better watch their step. :)

They got wolves and bears. We got ticks and chiggers. I'll take wolves and bears all day long. You can see 'em coming. :bounce:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

I think some of that is to try and catch them folks that use the land illegally on public land.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
They got wolves and bears. We got ticks and chiggers. I'll take wolves and bears all day long. You can see 'em coming. :bounce:

Plus gators, venomous snakes, red wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, maybe even a panther or two, down in the Southern parts of my range.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Exactly. That's why it's going to be an ongoing debate until it hits a court room and DNR is forced to address it specifically. For now I just don't think, despite it fitting the technical definition, it's a significant or wide spread enough of a problem to lose sleep over.
They won’t address it until the law specifically prohibits cell cameras. Which will be a fight bigger than the deer bait fight at the capitol.
The toothpaste is already out of the tube on that.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Plus gators, venomous snakes, red wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, maybe even a panther or two, down in the Southern parts of my range.

I left all that out just to make it fair. :bounce:

rugerfan

As a public land hunter I think it should be allowed, but am I going to do it? No. I have thought about it, but I don't want my stuff stolen, A couple hundred dollar cell cam is not a disposable item to me, nor is a couple hundred dollar ladder stand or climber. I think you are just asking for trouble by leaving those items on public land. There are no "my spots" on public land if you don't get there first that day. I don't care if you have a camera there or a tree stand there. If I am there when you get there, it is you that needs to move on to somewhere else.

Do I see it as an unfair advantage, yes of course I do, any technology is an unfair advantage to the animal. They don't have it, but they do adapt to it.

As far as the gooberment using them on Public land, well they do kind of own it, they have the right to make sure that what is going on on that property is within the law. But I really hope they don't, because nobody needs to see me in the woods when I need to drop a deuce!!!!!:D