Killing deer not on Camera?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yes that bottom pic looks like a big mature man, You must already have many good'uns under your belt if you can let him walk

I was more interested in real old heavyweight character bucks, than I was in how one scored.

Nowadays, I`ve reverted back to how and why I hunted back in the old days. Good meat, skins, and material. I like to think I`ve come full circle, the way the hunt is supposed to be.

Buckman18

I'm fairly sure I have never killed a buck I had on cams. I seldom run cams in the mountains except on my own land. When they were a new thing, I tried them for a bit but soon stopped because bears kill them up here.

Honestly though, I dont really want to know what the buck im after looks like. I like to hike in, actually scout the mountains, find sign, and hunt until a mature buck rears its head. If he is a booner, a freak, or a 20 inch wide 6pt, it really doesn't matter to me.

bigchief it's a private timber investment property. All pine, different plots are different ages and cutting stages. Only hardwood is in EPA drainage ditches. We've located some water oaks in these drains that produce good mast just about every year. The white oak in the drains produce once a millinea it seems
It seems like you have a good area for all phases of the management process.. I’m sure there doing all the things burning etc to keep forest fire fuel down and improving habitat. Should help with sweet gum control also. I would look into ga’s Dmap program. It’s pretty cheap form a cost stand point. They have different plan options. Having a state biologist do an assessment of your property and make recommendations is a huge benefit. Plus they are available to answer and help you reach the properties full potential. Doing a camera survey is exhausting and you will need help. A lot of of corn has to be out every couple of days. There is a lot of time involved daily counting all pictures you get on camera. It’s easiest to have cell cams to monitor and keep up with pictures.. your gonna have to have 16 camera to cover that area.. it’s best if you have someone local in your place that can keep the corn out. A biologist will give you a map area and give you zones to apply bait in. If you want to take your property to the next level it’s the best way to do that. Sure we all here can help each other and offer great advice. Getting a private biologist to work with you on your property isn’t cheap.

buckpasser

I'm fairly sure I have never killed a buck I had on cams. I seldom run cams in the mountains except on my own land. When they were a new thing, I tried them for a bit but soon stopped because bears kill them up here.

Honestly though, I dont really want to know what the buck im after looks like. I like to hike in, actually scout the mountains, find sign, and hunt until a mature buck rears its head. If he is a booner, a freak, or a 20 inch wide 6pt, it really doesn't matter to me.

The best kind of hunting right there. Deer management is another animal entirely. Less fun. Way more expensive. Generally less fulfilling. I’m thankful (for my sake) there are wealthy folks who want it done, but it’s not how I do it either.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
It seems like you have a good area for all phases of the management process.. I’m sure there doing all the things burning etc to keep forest fire fuel down and improving habitat. Should help with sweet gum control also. I would look into ga’s Dmap program. It’s pretty cheap form a cost stand point. They have different plan options. Having a state biologist do an assessment of your property and make recommendations is a huge benefit. Plus they are available to answer and help you reach the properties full potential. Doing a camera survey is exhausting and you will need help. A lot of of corn has to be out every couple of days. There is a lot of time involved daily counting all pictures you get on camera. It’s easiest to have cell cams to monitor and keep up with pictures.. your gonna have to have 16 camera to cover that area.. it’s best if you have someone local in your place that can keep the corn out. A biologist will give you a map area and give you zones to apply bait in. If you want to take your property to the next level it’s the best way to do that. Sure we all here can help each other and offer great advice. Getting a private biologist to work with you on your property isn’t cheap.
No they don't do burns. We are over run with sweetgum and other junk.
We did however get a new forrester just this year! So maybe he will do some burns, idk at this time