Handgun Recommendations for First Semi-Auto?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
My son is turning 16 in a couple of weeks. He loves my pistols but he doesn't have one of his own (sans a Ruger Bearcat which he has shot the barrel out of!) and I'm considering buying him one since he already has his car (an old truck we are working on).

He isn't going to carry obviously, so not too concerned about size right now...

He likes my FDE Glock and FN509. He also likes my 92A1 and my P365 SAS. I have Glock, Sig, Beretta, Ruger, S&W and a few other brands...one I don't have is H&K. He has shot them all over the years.

What he would want is the FN509 like mine, with the Vortex RMR. That is out of the question cost wise. I got mine for $599 at Cabela's a few years back...easily twice that now. Ain't happening.

Definitely want 9MM. Needs an RMR optic mount. Nice to have FDE but not a dealbreaker. This will be a range gun for practice at our gun club for now.

Any suggestions from the brain trust here?
Unless you buy him one that he has shot already and he is familiar with, I would take him to a ffl dealer that has many to choose from and let him fondle ones that he has interest in and fits his hands the best.
I am sure that he will find one that he likes which is also within your budget.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Magnum Research .50AE

Hey, it's the only thing that hasn't been mentioned. :bounce:

My son is turning 16 in a couple of weeks. He loves my pistols but he doesn't have one of his own (sans a Ruger Bearcat which he has shot the barrel out of!) and I'm considering buying him one since he already has his car (an old truck we are working on).

He isn't going to carry obviously, so not too concerned about size right now...

He likes my FDE Glock and FN509. He also likes my 92A1 and my P365 SAS. I have Glock, Sig, Beretta, Ruger, S&W and a few other brands...one I don't have is H&K. He has shot them all over the years.

What he would want is the FN509 like mine, with the Vortex RMR. That is out of the question cost wise. I got mine for $599 at Cabela's a few years back...easily twice that now. Ain't happening.

Definitely want 9MM. Needs an RMR optic mount. Nice to have FDE but not a dealbreaker. This will be a range gun for practice at our gun club for now.

Any suggestions from the brain trust here?
Turn this around… tell him you will pony up $xxx and it will go towards whatever he can legally buy. This can be a good exercise in analysis, economics and getting the best deal possible. More importantly, how to deal with steak appetite on a ground beef budget. Skills he will need in life.

Besides the financial aspect, limit yourself to tossing out pros and cons of what he is considering, ONLY IF ASKED. Stay out of his decision process unless invited in.

Do not push him in any direction and if he wants to buy a gun you think is a mistake, don’t tell him that, just go over pros and cons without offering a judgment.
These mistakes can teach far more than any lecture can. If it is a mistake, then he needs to address that too. I doubt he will make a mistake though based on your writing.

Oh, if he wants to buy your gun used, AND YOU WANT TO, go price it on gunbroker and sell at low end of scale if you want to. It should still be a stretch for him. Don’t create a shortcut to getting what he wants. Life is usually not like that. Theres always more things to buy than money so teaching priorities is important.

Tight Lines

Turn this around… tell him you will pony up $xxx and it will go towards whatever he can legally buy. This can be a good exercise in analysis, economics and getting the best deal possible. More importantly, how to deal with steak appetite on a ground beef budget. Skills he will need in life.

Besides the financial aspect, limit yourself to tossing out pros and cons of what he is considering, ONLY IF ASKED. Stay out of his decision process unless invited in.

Do not push him in any direction and if he wants to buy a gun you think is a mistake, don’t tell him that, just go over pros and cons without offering a judgment.
These mistakes can teach far more than any lecture can. If it is a mistake, then he needs to address that too. I doubt he will make a mistake though based on your writing.

Oh, if he wants to buy your gun used, AND YOU WANT TO, go price it on gunbroker and sell at low end of scale if you want to. It should still be a stretch for him. Don’t create a shortcut to getting what he wants. Life is usually not like that. Theres always more things to buy than money so teaching priorities is important.
Good advice. I may go that route. Let him do the research and then pony up the difference which he has from working.

Your screen name is funny too, because that is my son most of the time these days!

frankwright

Nice looking pistol. Do you have one?
I don't but they have been around a while and sold a bunch of them. They have 10-12 different models in size and color. The reviews are always pretty good.
I can get Glocks at LEO price so I stay with Glocks if I want something like that.

Tight Lines

I really liked this idea, so I gave him a budget and said you do the research, figure out what you like, and I'll fund up to $XXX amount. If you want an RMR it's yours to buy. I basically said I'd stay with 9MM, .45, or .22 (he owns a revolver already) so ammo is available, and I'd get one with an optics mount. But you do the research and figure it out on your own, and I'll help you make it happen...thanks for the advice!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I really liked this idea, so I gave him a budget and said you do the research, figure out what you like, and I'll fund up to $XXX amount. If you want an RMR it's yours to buy. I basically said I'd stay with 9MM, .45, or .22 (he owns a revolver already) so ammo is available, and I'd get one with an optics mount. But you do the research and figure it out on your own, and I'll help you make it happen...thanks for the advice!
That's cool man. But I still hope he picks a G19MOS... :bounce:

Robert28

I don’t know about this gun but the next gun you buy him should absolutely be a 1911. Every son needs a 1911 given to them by their father. Wish my dad would have given me one growing up, but he wasn’t a 1911 man at all. He gave me an 870 instead.

bullgator

Grabagun has the optics ready CZ P10-c for under $400. Great triggers and ergonomics.

Tight Lines

I don’t know about this gun but the next gun you buy him should absolutely be a 1911. Every son needs a 1911 given to them by their father. Wish my dad would have given me one growing up, but he wasn’t a 1911 man at all. He gave me an 870 instead.
Agreed and I will but that's a graduating high school or college thing...we are not a Rolex watch kind of family, but we are a Wilson Combat or Ed Brown type... :)