Best coondog you ever hunted with??

Arrow3

....Not the best YOU ever owned unless they were one in the same....

I was a die hard English man when I hunted and had a lot of good, broke hounds....That being said the best dog I ever hunted with was a walker dog (hurts me to say that) :biggrin2:

His name was Henry...He was out of Ball's log chain leroy dog.....He was pure get yonder coon dog....Dale Pace from griffin and The Horne twins from Soperton owned him....Me and Dale hunted a lot together and ran the PKC scene...We were both reps for the State of Ga at one time or another...Henry was something else and probably won about 90% of his casts...Im sure he's dead by now because its been years since I hunted....One things for sure, he would make you walk...He was gonna get treed if it took 100 yards or 2 miles...:rofl:

back nine

Banned
It's hard for me to make a call like this one unless I have hunted with the dog many nights. I've seen some dogs put on million dollar perfromances on any given night and then not leave your feet the next. As far as treeing coons and winning casts by making very few mistakes CONSISTENTLY I like the dog I am currently hunting Gr Nt CH Looking For Timber Hanna. Another dog that I like alot but haven't hunted with nowhere near as much is Matt Marchant's walker female named Phret. She has always looked good when I've been with her and is a consistent winner. Another dog that stands out in my mind is a dog that has never been in a hunt but is owned my a pleasure hunter. He is an english dog named drum. 100 percent trash free, darn near that accurate , and you won't see him until he is treed. I've seen him take all kinds of tracks in many different parts of this country and put coons at the end.I'm sure there are many other nice dogs out there but these are the one's that really stand out in my mind.

So in no particular order:
Drum (english)
Hanna (bluetick)
Phret (walker)

thomas gose

the most accurate and consistant i have ever hunted with, and still do, is a dog named Mucho! he is a pleasure to hunt with and has as much sence as any breed of dog ive ever been around.

sogafishin

Best 2 hounds I have been in the woods with that were consistant every night had a coon was Black and Tan female named Daisy and a English female named Hardtime Sue.Neither one was trashy and did there own thing.If they barked you were goin to see the meat.Both were 8 years old or older.Didnt have to leash either one heading out of the woods.

holler tree

best I ever hunted with was a female out of pine hill true boy (english). night after night that little dog could just make a coon. I seen her tree more big coons up little trees than any dog Ive ever been in the woods with. if they didnt go up she caught them. thats been 20 yrs ago and I ve followed some good dogs since but they still fell short to her. this includes all the grands and pkc champs I've had the pleasure of hunting with also. I know those dogs are once in a lifetime but I sure am hoping one day to get one more since she died at 2 yrs old.

poolecw

The best coon dog I've ever hunted with was a bluetick called Rocky Creek Dooley owned by my uncle back in the 80's. He was out of Bell Creek Buck, which was out of Hammer V. My uncle didn't get a chance to push him in the hunts, but he did come in 2nd in the ACHA little world hunt one year and placed in the world a couple of times. Living about 45 minutes from Paul Sheffield, he competed several times against Hardwood Dan and would usually beat him.

He was tight on track and super fast. Lots of times, he would throw his locate before actually hitting the tree. He was an all night tree dog that you could pull him off the tree the next morning...he'd be there.

coondog1

After running the PKC hunts hard for the last ten years, I've seen a bunch of nice hounds. I got to thinking about it and came up with a list of dogs that always impressed me and treed coons consistantly and in style!

PCH Satilla River Betty
PCH Rerun
GCH Glass Eye Ring
SCH Cook's Molly
SCH Marchant's Lacey
SCH Cool Breeze
SCH Swamp Rat
PCH Wipeout Zena
GCH Stylish Phret
GCH Showtime Lucy
GCH Harry Bawls
SCH Danny Boy
SCH Qusy
PCH Lock Nut
PCH Hardwood Henry
SCH Power Pack
CH Hanna
PCH Bad Habit
PCH Wipeout Barbwire
PCH Harley
GCH Cold Sweat
PCH M/J Spot
PCH Eye Knot
PCH Hardwood Stylish Ann
PCH Jenni
My absolute favorite 2 of all time would have to be Glass Eye Ring and Lock Nut!

Arrow3

After running the PKC hunts hard for the last ten years, I've seen a bunch of nice hounds. I got to thinking about it and came up with a list of dogs that always impressed me and treed coons consistantly and in style!

PCH Satilla River Betty
PCH Rerun
GCH Glass Eye Ring
SCH Cook's Molly
SCH Marchant's Lacey
SCH Cool Breeze
SCH Swamp Rat
PCH Wipeout Zena
GCH Stylish Phret
GCH Showtime Lucy
GCH Harry Bawls
SCH Danny Boy
SCH Qusy
PCH Lock Nut
PCH Hardwood Henry
SCH Power Pack
CH Hanna
PCH Bad Habit
PCH Wipeout Barbwire
PCH Harley
GCH Cold Sweat
PCH M/J Spot
PCH Eye Knot
PCH Hardwood Stylish Ann
PCH Jenni
My absolute favorite 2 of all time would have to be Glass Eye Ring and Lock Nut!

Is this the same ring dog that Glenn and Len Horne owned?

coondog1

Best 2 hounds I have been in the woods with that were consistant every night had a coon was Black and Tan female named Daisy and a English female named Hardtime Sue.Neither one was trashy and did there own thing.If they barked you were goin to see the meat.Both were 8 years old or older.Didnt have to leash either one heading out of the woods.

Old Sue was deadly! One year at the PKC world she had 3 big time studs on her cast and absolutly blistered them.....I think Looking Up Jeb and Hardwood Henry were 2 of them if I remember correctly. She made he Semis at the world in 2002!

coondog1

the most accurate and consistant i have ever hunted with, and still do, is a dog named Mucho! he is a pleasure to hunt with and has as much sence as any breed of dog ive ever been around.

Mucho's mother produced Track DRIVERS! He is half mate to The Tree Daddy! When Daddy was young he could fly on track and was a first tree machine!

coondog1

No sir, Hickory Stick was just a little before my time! Glynn, Lynn, and Jonathon always talked about how nice he was though!

tayjack87

i would have to list two. A dog named chip, which was the first dog i ever hunted with and i didnt know much about blood then so i cant tell you what he was out of. but i can tell you he was a COONDOG. He was owned by a man named Raymond Shedd of comer. The other would have to be Kings Mtn. Stylish nut, owned by chris saylers and les young of Kings mtn kentucky.

tayjack87

Hey thomas i hunted with your buddy jeff the other day. And i used to hunt with mark elrod a lot. He handles some for bud and he said trouble is a nice dog.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
One night I hunted with Gr. Nite Ch. Hardwood Buster and Gr. Nite Ch. Hardwood Dan (son of buster)

Like hunting with two freight trains with collars on. Treed in a H-U-G-E oak tree that our lights wouldn't go all the way up due to the sheer size of it and trees next to it covering them, but I'm pretty sure there was a coon up there!

As far as sheer grit, a buddy had a walker dog named "train" that HATED a raccoon to the point of climbing trees (think 80 feet up a tree leaning at 60-70 degrees--that was not fun) , going up hollow trees out of my reach, etc. If we could have broken him off possums he'd have been a good one. When a coon was knocked down and the other dogs would go in and worry it, Train would just walk up to it, grab it's body in his jaws and just bare down till it died. It's like he got a rush from it and ignored the pain. You had to almost fight him to get the coon back.

T

thomas gose

Hey thomas i hunted with your buddy jeff the other day. And i used to hunt with mark elrod a lot. He handles some for bud and he said trouble is a nice dog.
Mark has handle trouble a few times. Trouble does a fair job i sure have enjoyed him. he's not the best but he is fun to hunt and hear! whats your name and what r u huntin

Retired Army Guy

Going WAY BACK, as a teen ager growing up in Michigan. My best friends dog Buck. He was a walker dog. He never lost a cast. He was a Night Champion. Could have been a GNC but the politics and money & greed convinced my friend to stop competing. Best Coon dog I ever saw.

Latest posts