Best coondog you ever hunted with??

COUNTRY MIKE

Grants carolina bouncer wished i would have owned him hes prob. The best ive ever seen and ive hunted with world champion (not mine)SOME TIMES IT SEEMED LIKE HE MADE A COON WHEN HE GOT OUT OF SIGHT

Tree Blazin

Hey GA DAWG, We need to get together and hunt sometime. Your just right across the big pond from me.

tayjack87

i would have to add another dog. It slipped my mind earlier but have any of you heard of Clutch of Mayhem? Just look on the front cover of Octobers prohound. A friend of mine is good buddy's with Ross and we went up there and hunted with clutch again last night, and let me tell you he is a COONDOG.

Arrow3

Ttt ,.....

coop3r

I own a direct grandpup out of michigan swamp rooster on his mothers side and he is the best dog I have ever seen/had/owned. I normally hunt solo 95% of the time but Willie just keeps me smiling every time i cast him.

I dont comp hunt at all, never even been to one. Im a big time pleasure hunter who runs dogs 3-4 nights a week.

Willie was the only natural coon dog I have ever seen. He was never shown a caged coon or worked with a hide. I used to just walk him in the woods as a pup and it just clicked. He is a little hard headed sometimes, if you want to get him back you better get him at the tree. He will run until he passes out, doesnt hunt too far out and has a decent mouth. Best tempered dog I have ever owned.

When I think Coon Dog, I think of ol' King Willie.

DuckArrow

Been years since I coon hunted(followed my dad). As a child it was a 3-4 time a week event. Comp hunts on the weekend and pleasures hunts during the week. Greed, money, and corruption eventually broke my father up from comp hunts period. Had to scratch out of an Autumn Oaks Championship hunt because of a dog jumping on our dog at the tree, and Dad was winning the cast.

However, I saw a bunch of dogs as a kid. I saw Buster, Hardwood Dan, and many others. But the best dog I ever saw was Dad's Treeing Walker- PR Grand Nite Champion Moon's Ohoopee Spot. He was a man's dog and ending up living a full life to the age of 17, eventually a rattlesnake got him. He couldn't hear it thunder, or hardly see, but his nose still worked and every Saturday morning Dad would wake me to go get Spot. He ran free on the property and just about every Friday night he would take himself hunting.

With the except of the uncanny nose and treeing as hard as any dog I've ever seen. He was the the exact opposite of the type of dog my dad prefers, especially these days. Once turned out there was not such thing as hunting too far. If there wasn't a coon on this creek, Spot would hunt to the next county if he had to to find one. There was no "give up" in the dog. You couldn't call him off a tree and he didn't leave until you came and got him. There was times We'd go back early the next morning, because a storm blew in and we had to pull out. We'd pull up and sure enough you'd heard him, treeing with every breath and had for the entire night.

God, talking about the old days like this makes me want to go drop the tailgate. Between high school, football, baseball, college, Marriage, and now my own family. I bet I haven't went coon hunting with the old man(dad) in 3-4 years.

Scrapy

Banned
I shook hands with Elvis and I met Johny Cash , If that ain't country. I have had the opportunity to pleasure hunt with two different world champions and I understand why they were world champs and coon dogs in their own way of going.

I've owned em direct off House's Bawlie, Deep River Mike, Old Hickory Nut Harry, Dahoneys, Sacket Jr., Coma, and Stylish just about everything. The best coondog I ever hunted with I did not own. His name was Max. He could and at times would take a cold track and run off with it . You could turn him in to trashin dogs and he would not put in with them but he was not deaf and go find his own coon somewhere. He would come back and 'tell on" them pups (even a grand nite champion one time) . When there was no coon in a tree and other dogs were spitting out a hundred and twenty barks a minute he would be around the tree but he would never say a word on it. I don't recall ever goin to a tree he was excited about and not finding a coon in it even if we had to smoke it out. Max was the best I hunted with for six years ever. Probably only six people ever heard of him or saw him work. He was mostly Walker lookin but that's where it ended. He was a coon dog.

Why six years? Because he was 4 when I started hunting with him. His boss died and the widow retired him to the house. To me it does not matter how many votes a dog can get to Hall of Fame status . How many full page glossy photos slobber mouthing and belly upping. I know a coondog.

Last edited:

Scrapy

Banned
I owned the Tree Daddy dog, bought him when he was 5. I never hunted with him when he was younger but he would run a track and tree before most good dogs could strike. He ran a coon like most dogs run deer. I lost several hunts with him because he would catch the coon on the ground and I would get no tree points. He hunted as harder as a 10yo dog than alot of young dogs.He died earlier this year. I've tried hard to find another like him with no success.
TreeDaddy.jpg

The best hound I've ever owned as far as having a coon is a walker dog I used to own named Silver Dollar Blue. He is a full Litter mate to Reggy Byrum's "Thats Gonna Hurt" dog. He is a honest bawl mouth track dog ,One located bawl mouth tree dog.I believe he is in the AL state race and has won over $1,100 since June.
100_0861.jpg

As far as the best Competition dog I like the hound I'm hunting now. He just turned 3 he has $19,371 won in PKC and is a UKC Nitech. He strikes just as soon as he hits the woods and gets by himself with a coon. I'm getting him ready for the PKC state race this next year. We've got our 1st hunt Thursday!
Jack20Mayhem2031.jpg

jackmayhem.jpg

If you don't mind me asking? How much Clover and House is in the last two and how much Coma / Stylish in the first one? Just seems like I see old friends. I good dog I got to hunt with for a while was name Ogeechee something, bred to a Dahoney dog. The cross sure put the early puppy tree in them , to that I can attest. That was in the 80's . A dog still has to do more than bark up a tree to be a coondog. A treedog maybe, but a coondog gets better till he is around six. Then he might be called finished and polished. I have never yet seen a real coondog top out at 2 years old and be any better at four and most likely worse, far as lyin goes.
Iye yeeeee, pulling up short = lying. In old timer lingo.

Scrapy

Banned
I owned the Tree Daddy dog, bought him when he was 5. I never hunted with him when he was younger but he would run a track and tree before most good dogs could strike. He ran a coon like most dogs run deer. I lost several hunts with him because he would catch the coon on the ground and I would get no tree points. He hunted as harder as a 10yo dog than alot of young dogs.He died earlier this year. I've tried hard to find another like him with no success.
TreeDaddy.jpg

The best hound I've ever owned as far as having a coon is a walker dog I used to own named Silver Dollar Blue. He is a full Litter mate to Reggy Byrum's "Thats Gonna Hurt" dog. He is a honest bawl mouth track dog ,One located bawl mouth tree dog.I believe he is in the AL state race and has won over $1,100 since June.
100_0861.jpg

As far as the best Competition dog I like the hound I'm hunting now. He just turned 3 he has $19,371 won in PKC and is a UKC Nitech. He strikes just as soon as he hits the woods and gets by himself with a coon. I'm getting him ready for the PKC state race this next year. We've got our 1st hunt Thursday!
Jack20Mayhem2031.jpg

jackmayhem.jpg

If you don't mind me asking? How much Clover and House is in the last two and how much Coma / Stylish in the first one? Just seems like I see old friends. I good dog I got to hunt with for a while was name Ogeechee something, bred to a Dahoney dog. The cross sure put the early puppy tree in them , to that I can attest. That was in the 80's . A dog still has do do more than bark up a tree to be a coondog. A treedog maybe, but a coondog gets better till he is six. Then he might be called finished and polished. I have never yet seen a real coondog top out at 2 years old and be any better at four and most likely worse, far as lyin goes.
Iye yeeeee, pulling up short = lying. In old timer lingo.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Hunted a few times with a good friend from out of state and his dog was the best I every had the opportunity of watching.Showtime Blue Superjet.

Triple C

Just curious if any of you ol' timers in N GA ever hunted with my uncle Bud Chapman. He passed away a few years ago. From the time I was a kid about all he ever did was hunt and trade coon dogs. Walked about everywhere he went and outlived all of his siblings probably because he always walked so much. When my boys were about 12 and 10 I took them on a coon hunt with Bud. Only time they ever went and they still talk about it.

david c

Blue Huston

I hunted with and against some really good dogs but I have to say there was nothing like going with Huston. I hunted him 3 to 5 nights a week and it was a rush knowing that every time I dropped the tailgate it wouldn't be long and I would be looking at a coon. Even after he made Dual Grand I could not make myself leave him at home. I had more fun hunting that dog than I can explain and unfortunately I've never found another one like em.

The next closest thing was my hunting partners dog named Hawk. Even though he was a Walker I absolutely loved hunting with Hawk. Lol

The mtn man

The best dog I ever followed through the mountains , I owned, she was a Yadkin river walker named Yadkin river sparkles, she was killed at the tree by a pit bull that was running loose, I was devistAted , she was 9 years old at the time, needless to say , the pit bull didn't make it through the ordeal when I arrived on the Scene. Ones season she treed almost 150 coons, was 99.9 percent accurate, never barked unless struck, gave a good locate, and backed off to let any other pup or tree running dog run the tree, was perfectly well mannered, came when called, never ran trash, sometime I would swear she made coons to run, the only hound I ever owned that I could say was a perfect coon hound, RIP sparky!

DEAD EYE

The best coondog I followed was southern hard time jr. Owned by Oscar stapp may he r.i.p . Jr was off of hard time speck and think everybody knows that hound . And a hound my son and I owned after dark bang and gr.nt ch. abbotts hillbilly Mac that Me and jake garner still own he's 12 years old now. That was just a few I loved to hunt.and can't forget southern country rock owned by jake garner.

ByrdDog76

As a teenager I was lucky enough to hunt with Brady Cisco and his dog Diamond. As fine of a fellow and dog as I have ever came across.

BigCats

Me and my uncle Charlie used to hunt hard back in the day and he had a walker named sun it was a breed from a guy out in corn country and he was 2 when he got him he was a real pleasure to hunt with if he would hunt off the truck if you wanted him to he would go down hunting club rd in front of truck he would stop curl his tail when he winded a coon and be off or you could turn him out if he didn't strike in 20 or so minutes he be back and if you didn't load him up he'd head another direction but 99% of the time he was gonna get on a coon and 99.9% of the time when he struck you could bet he was gonna have a coon in a short few and it was gonna be in the tree. Lots of people don't like a dog that will come back but it sure was nice when you had to be at work at 6 in the morning. My wife's uncle and a friend of mine own parts in some state champ dog out of sc they say is a cracker jack but I haven't had the pleasure of hunting with them I haven't hunted in years and miss it but with kids and work don't have the time.

coop3r

Me and my uncle Charlie used to hunt hard back in the day and he had a walker named sun it was a breed from a guy out in corn country and he was 2 when he got him he was a real pleasure to hunt with if he would hunt off the truck if you wanted him to he would go down hunting club rd in front of truck he would stop curl his tail when he winded a coon and be off or you could turn him out if he didn't strike in 20 or so minutes he be back and if you didn't load him up he'd head another direction but 99% of the time he was gonna get on a coon and 99.9% of the time when he struck you could bet he was gonna have a coon in a short few and it was gonna be in the tree. Lots of people don't like a dog that will come back but it sure was nice when you had to be at work at 6 in the morning. My wife's uncle and a friend of mine own parts in some state champ dog out of sc they say is a cracker jack but I haven't had the pleasure of hunting with them I haven't hunted in years and miss it but with kids and work don't have the time.

That's the way my Rooster dog Willie is and I personally love it. He will come back and check in with you and then head another direction. If he does this twice, then there is nothing walking in that area. Grab the ol dog and move to another drop spot. I love it.

Best three I ever hunted with was a female out of Hardwood Buster named Queen that was owned by Gilbert Womack and a walker male named Wipeout Clayton that Bryan Sanders and Nick Alberson owned. Danny Womack also had a female named Martha and she was also a good one.