Doeless December

Killdee

Making an assumption or two I do not think the numbers support this "known fact".
The first assumption is that the 640 acres (1 sq. mile) me and my hunting buddy hunt have 25 deer on it. I have seen that number pop up several times so I am somewhat comfortable using it. The next assumption is that the buck - doe ratio is 1:5. I do not recall every seeing a state wide buck - doe ratio, so I am basing that number on bag limits. But for discussion sake lets just say that is the case, in our one square mile hunting area we have 5 bucks and 20 does.
If the fawn recruitment rates are 26%, our herd will increase by 5 deer next fall (assuming all does get successfully bred) (20 does @ .26 = 5.2) if we shoot no deer this year. If we shoot more than five deer, in any combination, we will, based on several assumptions, have a negative impact on our deer herd. Based on 25 deer per acre, 1:5 buck - doe ratio and a 26% fawn recruitment rate.
That is three deer a piece, over 640 acres, to have a negative impact on our herd.
The answer to this 'problem' (low fawn recruitment rates) lies elsewhere, not in specific doe harvest days. In my opinion. But I concede my opinion to those who get paid to assemble all this questionable data and make some changes in order to address the problem.

26% wow that is low, are your figures taking in consideration some does may have twins?
I have seen on the DNR site a figure that said take 1 doe per 150 acres to maintain the population, any more than that will decrease the population.
we hope to kill a few coyotes off our place this year, wish we had the time to trap or money to pay a trapper but we are a small group as well.

tnhikr44

26% wow that is low, are your figures taking in consideration some does may have twins?

From the link -
Why Reduce Either-Sex Days?Fawn recruitment rates — the number of fawns that survive into fall — have declined in all five of Georgia’s physiographic regions and about 26 percent statewide.

Perhaps I am reading too much into that number ... maybe the fawn recruitment rate is not 26%, it simply has dropped 26% from some higher number. But even if that is the case, the link suggests that 93% of us harvest two doe or less per year and we still had a fawn recruitment rate drop of 26%. Those numbers startle me more than 1 in 4 fawns making it til fall.

Last edited:

SpotandStalk

They need to keep the current season length and do away with bow hunting. Bow hunters are responsible for injuring all these deer and never recovering them.

Jeff Phillips

I knew you would be the first to bite

Yep, I usually jump in on the most ignorant comments regarding deer hunting. Care to explain yours from above?

Randy

They need to keep the current season length and do away with bow hunting. Bow hunters are responsible for injuring all these deer and never recovering them.

Yep. My club has lost two so far this year. Oh but those were gun hunters.

Killdee

They need to keep the current season length and do away with gun hunting. Gun hunters are responsible for killing all these deer and eating them:huh:....:deadhorse:

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

hancock husler

I counted 76 threads and there are probably more from the past asking for a reduced doe harvest. My suggestion to the " can't have your cake and eat it too" hunters is choose what side of the fence you are on. I hunt in Hancock co, don't have doe days and would not really matter if we had them or not. I am 33 years of age and grew up hunting with doe days so it takes me back to the "good ole days". Did the 12 deer limit and no doe days really spoil this state that much? From what I see in at the deer cooler in my area is most of the can't eat horn type hunters is this, need about 9 deer a year to feed my family. From the looks of the deer the bring in they need to lower the caliber of their hunting rifle so the could get more meat out of their harvest. Shoot bigger does and and better shot placement so they don't blow the apart. Take what you need today and leave for tomorrow is how I was taught to hunt. We are all in this together and the GADNR listened to our request and this is what we got, go along with it and it just might make you a better hunter and maybe just maybe that doe you have to let walk might just have the biggest buck behind her you will ever kill. Good luck to you all.:cheers:

GA DAWG

Don't matter when you kill em. Your taking two or three out for the next yr and forever.

papachaz

I see the explanation provided for why december was picked but still dont know if that was the best choice. My thought being late october thru November is most folks choice time for chasing a buck, so why not make November doeless. We all know the chances for taking a buck is less is in december so why not leave it open for does and keep folks in the woods.

because after the doe becomes preggo, when you kill her, you're killing her and whatever fawns she's carrying. It will also protect the fawns that are too young to be bred this year.

I don't think they care if they 'keep folks in the woods' or not, they're more worried with keeping deer in the woods. Go read up on the restocking program and the problems and troubles the state went through just to bring deer back to GA

Killdee

I'll never figure out what this pregnant doe stuff has to do with anything????? Makes not a bit of difference.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I'll never figure out what this pregnant doe stuff has to do with anything????? Makes not a bit of difference.

I know what you mean, but it comes up dozens of times every year. :deadhorse::deadhorse:

Along that line of logic, If I shoot a doe fawn I have removed the 10 -15 fawns she would have raised in the years of her life if she died of old age. Plus all the other deer which would have descended from her and her future generations.

OMG we have to quit shooting any deer now since we know this.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

HOGDOG76

because after the doe becomes preggo, when you kill her, you're killing her and whatever fawns she's carrying. It will also protect the fawns that are too young to be bred this year.

I don't think they care if they 'keep folks in the woods' or not, they're more worried with keeping deer in the woods. Go read up on the restocking program and the problems and troubles the state went through just to bring deer back to GA

First whenever you kill her you lose 2-3 you lose three deer for next year so that point is ignorant.

I see no way it protects young does so please explain that.:huh:

I am quite familiar with the recovery of deer in Ga and that has nothing to do with this subject. The mission of DNR should be to protect the resource while providing as much access to the public as possible.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I know what you mean, but it comes up dozens of times every year. :deadhorse::deadhorse:

Along that line of logic, If I shoot a doe fawn I have removed the 10 -15 fawns she would have raised in the years of her life if she died of old age. Plus all the other deer which would have descended from her and her future generations.

OMG we have to quit shooting any deer now since we know this.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The folks at WRD have probably read this by now and are busy plotting the end of deer hunting forever in Georgia.

That might be a good thing.:bounce:

Self!

Make the season the same for all hunters (muzzle, bow, and rifle) No one group is better than the other.