Doeless December

BornToHuntAndFish

Title of thread sounds like the title of a movie:

"Doeless In December"

:bounce:

BornToHuntAndFish

Read this, the reasoning behind doing so.

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/why-fewer-either-sex-days/

Why Fewer Either Sex Days

(also on Page 23 of the Georgia Hunting Seasons & Regulations 2013-2014 booklet):D

Good reminder.

Here's another helpful article on Page 27 of the Georgia Hunting Seasons & Regulations 2013-2014 booklet :D, but also at the eRegulations web link below:

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia...guidelines-for-your-property-or-hunting-club/

Establishing Deer Harvest Guidelines for Your Property or Hunting Club

"General guidelines for appropriate doe harvest rates across much of Georgia are: one doe per 75 acres will decrease density, one doe per 150 acres will stabilize density, and one doe per 200 acres will increase density."

Scotsman

I rarely interject my .02 cents on threads like these, but I am sick with the fever/shivering chills/ and aches and this topic fascinates me. . .well, some of the thoughts on this topic do.

Good grief, some of these posts really sound like they come from some third grader that whines constantly about what he has or what he does not have. There is also a prevalent sense of entitlement that is displayed here among a few posts, as well. But then again, this is the "entitlement" age and if you can't tell, it is a terrible thing.

Hunting, for the time being, is one of our rights and freedoms to enjoy and it is a reality, not some convoluted video game where you try to rack up the most points.

Hunting used to be the place for sportsmen and gentlemen and for people that liked to share similar activities and get together and make memories and learn life lessons and pass on woodsmanship and outdoor skills.

This forum is still a great place to find a mentor, but you certainly have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

You may not like it, but you'll do far better following the rules. . .in everything. There are so many kids today, as well as those that have reached the age of accountability, that believe that the rules do not apply to them. Please be aware that someone is always watching you, to see how you behave and how you act in certain situations. Kids are always looking for a role model on how to behave and you, as an adult, are setting the example. Whether a good example or bad, that is up to you.

This seems like a good time to use a line I always tell my baseball teams, but I will use the word "hunting" instead of baseball. Hunting not only builds character, it also reveals character.

Whining is not a favorable trait.

I think I shall now indulge myself in a good, tried and true, hot toddy if I can control the feverish shakes and pour the necessary liquids and keep them in the glass.

I also realize I may have taken the bait, and have gone out on a limb with my comments. Hack away.

If you have not yet shot all the does that you desire, bows are an option, and, after-all, next year is another season!

Cheers!:cheers:

bedge7767

I hope you get to feeling better soon. With you being a baseball coach do you know what we are getting at Georgia with Slade Dale? I see you are from Ringgold.

hylander

I rarely interject my .02 cents on threads like these, but I am sick with the fever/shivering chills/ and aches and this topic fascinates me. . .well, some of the thoughts on this topic do.

Good grief, some of these posts really sound like they come from some third grader that whines constantly about what he has or what he does not have. There is also a prevalent sense of entitlement that is displayed here among a few posts, as well. But then again, this is the "entitlement" age and if you can't tell, it is a terrible thing.

Hunting, for the time being, is one of our rights and freedoms to enjoy and it is a reality, not some convoluted video game where you try to rack up the most points.

Hunting used to be the place for sportsmen and gentlemen and for people that liked to share similar activities and get together and make memories and learn life lessons and pass on woodsmanship and outdoor skills.

This forum is still a great place to find a mentor, but you certainly have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

You may not like it, but you'll do far better following the rules. . .in everything. There are so many kids today, as well as those that have reached the age of accountability, that believe that the rules do not apply to them. Please be aware that someone is always watching you, to see how you behave and how you act in certain situations. Kids are always looking for a role model on how to behave and you, as an adult, are setting the example. Whether a good example or bad, that is up to you.

This seems like a good time to use a line I always tell my baseball teams, but I will use the word "hunting" instead of baseball. Hunting not only builds character, it also reveals character.

I think I shall now indulge myself in a good, tried and true, hot toddy if I can control the feverish shakes and pour the necessary liquids and keep them in the glass.

I also realize I may have taken the bait, and have gone out on a limb with my comments. Hack away.

If you have not yet shot all the does that you desire, bows are an option, and, after-all, next year is another season!

One of the best quotes I have read yet on all the threads......

Scotsman

I hope you get to feeling better soon. With you being a baseball coach do you know what we are getting at Georgia with Slade Dale? I see you are from Ringgold.

Absolutely. I know Slade. See your pm.

tnhikr44

"General guidelines for appropriate doe harvest rates across much of Georgia are: one doe per 75 acres will decrease density, one doe per 150 acres will stabilize density, and one doe per 200 acres will increase density."

Based on the above mentioned guideline it appears the fawn recruitment rate is actually around 25%. With me and my hunting partner sharing 640 acres we can harvest no more than 2 does apiece if we do not want to have a negative impact on our herd. That is 320 acres per hunter, a very good ratio in my book. The state says we can legally harvest 10 doe apiece, 5 times the limit for a stable herd over that given piece of property. Again, those numbers freak me out. If 93% of us harvest 2 or less does a season, 93% of us need to be hunting at a 300 acre per hunter ratio to keep the herd stable.
I am not in favor of the physical tag system, but somehow we need to get the WAG (Wild Axe Guess) out of our harvest 'data' info. I think my partner and I have a great hunter per acre ratio yet harvesting any more than a fifth of what the state allows will have a negative impact on our herd. Something is strange with the numbers in my book.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Great post !!

And you are spot on about the whiners. For the record I petitioned for a whiners forum when I was a mod. I would have moved all posts that were simply whining to that forum :biggrin2:

shdw633

I see no way it protects young does so please explain that.:huh:

Young doe do not have the experience of a hunting season such as an older doe does. As more hunters start to hunt does after the rut rather than before or during, this leaves them more vulnerable to a hunters bullet after the rut, whereas an older know may know enough to go nocturnal after she is bred. Therefore the new hunting rule is designed to protect the lesser experienced younger doe.

Scotsman

Great post !!

And you are spot on about the whiners. For the record I petitioned for a whiners forum when I was a mod. I would have moved all posts that were simply whining to that forum :biggrin2:

Thanks. That would have been an interesting forum!

HOGDOG76

Young doe do not have the experience of a hunting season such as an older doe does. As more hunters start to hunt does after the rut rather than before or during, this leaves them more vulnerable to a hunters bullet after the rut, whereas an older know may know enough to go nocturnal after she is bred. Therefore the new hunting rule is designed to protect the lesser experienced younger doe.
Same does are fair game for the three weeks following the break and what are they going to learn in those 3 and half weeks they didnt in the first two and half months. Sorry theory dont hold water...

DAVE

I love this forum. Reading some of these post is more comical than America's most funny videos or anything else on tv. Most of the time I can't tell what is sincere or what is meant as a joke. No matter the problem, the solution is to be found here. Long live Woody's.

Dustin

Based on the above mentioned guideline it appears the fawn recruitment rate is actually around 25%. With me and my hunting partner sharing 640 acres we can harvest no more than 2 does apiece if we do not want to have a negative impact on our herd. That is 320 acres per hunter, a very good ratio in my book. The state says we can legally harvest 10 doe apiece, 5 times the limit for a stable herd over that given piece of property. Again, those numbers freak me out. If 93% of us harvest 2 or less does a season, 93% of us need to be hunting at a 300 acre per hunter ratio to keep the herd stable.
I am not in favor of the physical tag system, but somehow we need to get the WAG (Wild Axe Guess) out of our harvest 'data' info. I think my partner and I have a great hunter per acre ratio yet harvesting any more than a fifth of what the state allows will have a negative impact on our herd. Something is strange with the numbers in my book.

You've made three posts in this thread and I've noticed that only one person tried to call you out on one bit of info you provided... that's how I know you've hit the nail on the head :cheers:

One doe per 150 acres??? WOW that's 10 does per 2.34 square miles... wonder how many deer sightings there will be when there are 10 deer spread over 2.5 square miles...

Right now we could say there are 25 deer per square mile in every square mile of GA (we all know there's not) there is 59,425 square miles in the state that means only 475,400statewide hunters taking 3 deer or only 2 hunters per square mile taking the limit will decimate the deer population in GA... the entire state and that's not counting any poaching at all :crazy:

I remember in 2001 the first year I hunted I kept a log of every deer I saw that year the total number was 27 deer that year, 2011 3 deer, 2012 1 deer all year, this year 2 deer and there's never been over 3 deer killed per year off the property I hunt, that's not per hunter that's total for all hunters on the property.

But remember coyotes, bow hunters, rifle hunters, blue tongue, aliens, something, anything is the problem... it's for sure not the fact that every hunter in the woods can kill 12 deer a year :rofl:

Last edited:

shdw633

Same does are fair game for the three weeks following the break and what are they going to learn in those 3 and half weeks they didnt in the first two and half months. Sorry theory dont hold water...

Less hunters in the woods by that time and deer are through the second rut and are more nocturnal at that time.

SpotandStalk

Make the season the same for all hunters (muzzle, bow, and rifle) No one group is better than the other.

x2. You want the challenge of killing one with a bow then you should do so under the same rules and regs as rifle hunters.

whchunter

Whiners

My earlier post # 40 seems to agree