Sot kayak

Lawnmowerman

Without all the bells n whistles,, plain,, what's the easiest kayak to stand up in? I'm 170#'s and 5'10,, kinda a small old man, 58. I'm looking for a light, wide kayak. Suggestions?? Thanks
Jon

Geffellz18

For Light and wide, possibly a crescent ultra lite(49lbs) or a Pescador Pro 10(57lbs). At your size, i’m sure you could stand comfortably in either one.
Just bought a pro 10 for the wife. Haven’t even took the zip ties off of it yet! Nice looking boat and definitely quality that you’d expect from perception.

Anvil Head

Lot depends on how "age agile" you are. I'm 70 and still stand to fly fish in my old Jackson Coosa. It's not near as stable as the new stuff out there and twice as heavy, but I've gotten used to it. Yeah, done a little dancing from time to time but haven't had to step out yet. Learned real quick there good ways to set the hook on a bull red and ways that get a bit interesting. But hey, I usually hunt them in skinny water, so if I ever have to "step out" it's no big deal.
Lot of good hours in the ol'Coosa so probably won't change even though many of the new ones sure are appealing.

Lawnmowerman

Anvil Head,, "age agile",, lol,, That's one way to put it I guess.
Let's just say I can ride a skateboard.
I can do a lot of things 30 year olds can't, I just don't want to have to do a "deep water get in".
Yea, the Coosa's are heavy, so are the Native's.
I kayak a lot, and fish a few kayak tournaments as well.
I'd just like to stand.

Shrimpngrits

I’ve got a bad back and sitting for long periods does me no good, I have a canoe I never use because of how poor my posture is in it.

I want to stand for kayak fly fishing; I’m saving up for the Kaku Voodoo. I can’t say it light or cheap but it sure looks to excel in the stand department.

dank1296

Little heavier than a kayak but i fish a Solo Skiff and im 57 and load unload from back of my Tundra. Hers my Crescent and Solo

Attachments

• IMG_3842.JPG
    IMG_3842.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 46

Anvil Head

I’ve got a bad back and sitting for long periods does me no good, I have a canoe I never use because of how poor my posture is in it.

I want to stand for kayak fly fishing; I’m saving up for the Kaku Voodoo. I can’t say it light or cheap but it sure looks to excel in the stand department.

They've come a long way in seat options these days that truly help with the back issues. You may be able to retrofit your canoe with something that "sits" well for you. I used to stand-up flyfish from my old fiberglass canoe all the time but it was a homemade with a wide bottom. Do like the options on my SOT as far as preventing stiff muscles at my age. I'd have to have beach and crawl out of the old traditional sit-in Yak (I had for many years) now days.

fish hawk

Bass Master
For a stable standing platform you need to be looking at width.Jackson bite is 36 inches,Nucanoe frontier 12 is 41 in. to put that into perspective most kayaks are in the 33/34 in. range.You can stand up and fish from a 33/34 inch kayak fairly comfortably if your young,fairly thin and or have very good balance.Older people like you and I can stand in one of the narrower kayaks but it's going to feel like your riding that skate board and trying to fish.Catch my drift?

Last edited:

Anvil Head

I'll be standing until the day I no longer can. Hate working a water whip sitting down, but will if I have too.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I use to love fishing out of my old Coosa but several spine surgeries have really limited me on my activities. I even hurt in my Xpress but can get up and walk around in it. With that said I have slipped the Coosa out of the garage and plan on giving it a good cleaning today to get it ready for bream. Love throwing a yellow bug into a bream bed.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I use to love fishing out of my old Coosa but several spine surgeries have really limited me on my activities. I even hurt in my Xpress but can get up and walk around in it. With that said I have slipped the Coosa out of the garage and plan on giving it a good cleaning today to get it ready for bream. Love throwing a yellow bug into a bream bed.
If I dont have a comfortable seat my back is toast after a couple of hours

Anvil Head

I have the upgraded adjustable "lawn chair" type seat. Very comfortable and high position in smooth water is really nice for exploring.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
My paddle is too short for the high position in my Coosa. Makes my back hurt. Just right for my Cuda in the low position. Need a Coosa paddle. Got some measurements to do.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I used to be able to stand in my yak but I’m not quite as steady as I was. The Big Game I ride is very stable and the seat allows hours of fishing. It’s not light but I trailer it and use a dolly so that’s less important to me.856B5501-5CB4-468B-8240-D19ED9DD6B6C.jpeg