Shopping for mountain boots.

35 Whelen

Bought a pair of Keen Durand II Mid WP's at REI, very happy with them so far.

Professor

I will get a pair of extremes or mountain guides before fall. However I just ordered up a pair of Crispi Idaho GTX boots on sale at Campsaver. With a 10% discount code the total was $246.59. They are not insulated but should really serve me well turkey hunting and mountain hiking between now and fall. I will report back with my assessment after I get 50 oe so miles on them. Thanks everyone for all the input.

NCMTNHunter

I will get a pair of extremes or mountain guides before fall. However I just ordered up a pair of Crispi Idaho GTX boots on sale at Campsaver. With a 10% discount code the total was $246.59. They are not insulated but should really serve me well turkey hunting and mountain hiking between now and fall. I will report back with my assessment after I get 50 oe so miles on them. Thanks everyone for all the input.

I’m about 4 months in to a pair of Crispi summit GTX’s. If the Idaho’s have the same liner as the summits you may not need the insulated boot. I’ve hunted with temps down in the teens this fall and winter with a medium weight wool sock and I’ve seen no need for additional insulation yet. They are warm for a non insulated boot.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word

I had forgotten about campsaver. It has been decades since I ordered anything from them. Remember getting those small paper catalogs.

strothershwacker

I’m about 4 months in to a pair of Crispi summit GTX’s. If the Idaho’s have the same liner as the summits you may not need the insulated boot. I’ve hunted with temps down in the teens this fall and winter with a medium weight wool sock and I’ve seen no need for additional insulation yet. They are warm for a non insulated boot.
My thoughts exactly. I've hiked for miles in my crispi gtx that are 'non-insulated' in cold weather. I've also sat for hours on end in 20-30 degrees just fine with em. For North GA, the lining is probably insulation enough.

Professor

My thoughts exactly. I've hiked for miles in my crispi gtx that are 'non-insulated' in cold weather. I've also sat for hours on end in 20-30 degrees just fine with em. For North GA, the lining is probably insulation enough.
I hope you both are right. My experience has generally been "the more insulation the better." I get cold feet.

Jtinman

I have worn kenetreks for 11 years. I have been a western hunter (Alaska, Arizona and Montana), and put tons of miles on them. They are not good if the temperatures that are below freezing. The soles are Vibram, but not the fire/ice version. Therefore stepping on a wet log, or rock may take you for a ride. I have switched to crispi and been very happy. I have not hunted North Georgia yet just moved to Benning recently. Planning to venture up this fall to do some bear hunting, and hoping my western gear is going to work.

jbogg

Hey Professor. How are those Crispi’s working out? Was there much break in required?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I just put a pair of boots in the trash this morning as I was tired of siliconing the soles back on. Bye bye Rockys hello Crispi's.

chrislibby88

Tried on some Kennetreks at Alexander’s yesterday. They only have the Guides and extremes in stock, insulated and non. I normally wear a 12, but out an 11.5 on. They fit my foot like a glove, toe box isn’t as wide as I hoped, seems like they run on the narrow side, but good lord they are stiff, felt like walking in a cast, not just the soles, but the upper is very rigid too. I can see them taking a long time to break in.

NCMTNHunter

I’m now 8 months in on the crispi summit gtx’s. There isn’t a loose stitch on them and the soles are still completely attached to the boot. The tread is getting slick on the outside edges (I walk the outsides off my boot first) but the rest is in pretty good shape and they still don’t leak a drop. I’m pretty sure it’s the longest I’ve ever had a pair of boots not leak. For comparison the saloman 4d 3 gtx’s I had before the crispis were coming apart and leaked like a fishnet at five months. So far these crispi’s are my favorite lightweight boots I’ve owned.

Stump06

x2 on the Crispis. I bought a pair right around Black Friday a few years ago from Blackovis. I believe mine are the summit. I don't wear them much around here hunting but did use them quite a bit on practice rucks as well as in Co last year on an elk trip. All the other guys had their boots off and on a dryer at them end of the day but my feet stayed dry through wet grass and a few rain showers. I did pair them with some kuiu gaiters. I will recommend getting some better insoles than the ones that come with it. I have a high arch and the boots are much better with aftermarket insoles

Professor

@Professor lets hear an update on the Crispis. I’m gonna get some boots before summer ends, and In leaning towards Crispis too.
Sorry for the late review. I bought a pair of Crispi Idaho GTX. First thought when they arrived was that these boots are way better than any boot I have ever worn. I have worn them near daily, primarily in the garden. Incredible quality construction but I did have 2 issues. The hoots run big, and all they had was the wides so there wasa lot of air in my boots even when laced tight. The other issue is the insoles. The ones they cane with might as well be flat concrete. I was getting hot spots and my arches were fatiguing after a few hours wear. I fixed both problems with a pair of the green Superfeet inserts. I put them right on top of the factory insoles and now the fit is perfect and I have great arch support. I bought the wax to go with the boots but have not applied it yet. So far no leaks. I am looking forward to fall.