April is Confederate History Month

Artfuldodger

If the Confederate Generals had respect for William T. Sherman, how do ya'll feel about the man? I was taught to hate and despise the man growing up as with all Yankees. I realize now that's a foolish way to be taught as I am now back in the Union. My state, i've always been in the Union.
General Joe Johnston respected the man. I guess what I'm looking for is was he doing what he thought was correct for his cause?
“Total war”, or “hard war” as Sherman called it, was a strategy to destroy all objects of military value to the enemy. In doing so, Sherman hoped to cut off its access to resources, and strangle the enemy into submission. Even from the start of the war the Confederate army was ill equipped, but the destruction of the limited resources still available was a terrible blow. These tactics created resentment in the Southern people which remained long after the war was over. To his credit, Sherman was preoccupied with the care of those civilians in the area of combat. After the capture of Atlanta, he ordered all civilians to leave the city, as he knew that they would be in greater danger within it, than outside of it. Sherman burned the resources critical to the enemy’s war effort within the city according to his total war policy. However, this fire spread throughout the city and created wide spread damage. If Sherman hadn’t ordered the residents out of the city, who knows what the death toll would have been.
I've read some terrible accounts from his march to the sea. I've read some terrible accounts from all wars. We take more consideration of civilians now than even in WWII. It seemed to change after that war. Getting back to Sherman, was he a monster or was he even a good general? Was he just following orders?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I need some help. I found both April 22 and April 26 listed as Confederate Memorial Day. Also lists the 22 for Fl. and Al. in addition to Ga. I found one Ga. page that talks about the 1984 law that dropped holiday names but charges the governor with designating Jan 19, April 26 or June 3 or an alternative date more suitable - for commemorating any or all of the persons or events formerly recognized on those three dates.
I concluded the pages listing the 22nd for Ga. were wrong but probably still good for Fl and Al. Since I live in Florida I am planning on visiting a local cemetery where there is one veteran buried and placing The Flag next to his stone. I have been doing this For several years.

Help and comments solicitation.

Thanks,
Terry

April 26th , 1865 2nd major surrender signaling the end of the War Between the States

Confederate Gen Joseph Johnston officially surrenders his troops to Union General William Sherman

Description: April 26,1865. Following its strategic defeat at Bentonville, N.C., March 21, 1865, the Confederate army of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston was reduced to perhaps 30,000 effectives, less than half the size of Union Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman's Federal command. Though the Confederates had fought well at Bentonville, their leader had no illusions about stopping his adversary's inexorable march through North Carolina. When Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield's force, joining Sherman at Goldsborough March 24, swelled the Union ranks to 80,000, Johnston saw the end approaching. Dutifully, however, he followed Sherman's resumed march northward April 10. En route the Confederate commander learned of the evacuation of Petersburg and Richmond and of Gen. Robert E. Lee's surrender at Appomattox. This ended his long-held hope of joining Lee to oppose the invaders of the Carolinas.

Arriving near Raleigh, Johnston at first attempted to have North Carolina Gov. Zebulon B. Vance broach surrender terms to Sherman. On April 12 Johnston went to Greensborough to meet with fugitive Confederate Pres. Jefferson Davis, whom he persuaded to authorize a peace initiative. Sherman was immediately receptive to peace negotiations.

On April 17, 1865, under a flag of truce near Durham Station, William Tecumseh Sherman met with General Johnston to discuss surrender terms and showed him a dispatch announcing Lincoln's assassination. The 2-day conference at the James Bennett home produced peace terms acceptable to both generals, but Sherman reckoned without Secretary Stanton, who had assumed near-dictatorial powers, and who wanted harsh terms for the defeated South. Officials in Washington quickly rejected the agreement and criticized Sherman's imprudence.

Disappointed, the Federal leader informed Johnston that unless more widely acceptable terms were reached, a 4-day armistice would end on the 26th. That day, however, the war-weary commanders met again at the Bennett home and thrashed out an agreement confined to military matters. Grant, who had been sent to Raleigh, signed his approval of the revised agreement, and on May 3rd, Johnston's once-proud army laid down its arms, closing hostilities east of the Mississippi River.

Twenty-six years later Joe Johnston died of pneumonia, contracted while he stood hatless in the rain at William T. Sherman's funeral.

Today is Confederate Memorial Day in some Southern States.

A range of events are organized on and around Confederate Memorial Day. The Main Library of the University of Georgia marks the occasion by publicly displaying the original Constitution of the Confederate States of America.

Other observances include:

Ceremonies to place flags and wreaths on the graves of Confederate soldiers and memorials to them.
Church services.
Re-enactments (in historical costume) of battles and events from the Civil War.
Displays of Civil War relics.
However, this type of observance is controversial, as some see it as glorifying a culture and way of life that could only exist because of the work carried out by slaves.

Public life
Confederate Memorial Day is a state holiday in Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Mississippi on the fourth Monday in April. It is a state holiday in South Carolina and North Carolina on May 10.

If Confederate Memorial Day falls on Sunday in North Carolina, the following Monday is a public holiday. Confederate Memorial Day is known as Confederate Heroes Day in Texas. It is held on January 19 each year. Only one day off is given to workers if it coincides with Martin Luther King Day.

In these areas, state offices and schools are generally closed. However, Confederate Memorial Day is not a federal holiday and federal offices may be open. Stores and other businesses may be open or closed according to local custom. Public transit services may operate to their normal or reduced schedules. There may be some minor road closures or congestion around war memorials or important battlegrounds.

Background

The actual war started on April 12, 1861, at Fort Sumter in South Carolina. The last cease-fire was signed at Fort Towson, Oklahoma, on June 23, 1865, although the naval forces on the CSS Shenandoah did not surrender until November 4, 1865 in Liverpool, Great Britain. It is estimated that more than 600,000 soldiers died during the American Civil War and that about 260,000 of these were Confederates. In addition, an unknown number of civilians died in the hostilities.

Those who died fighting for the Confederate States during the American Civil War are remembered on other dates in some states. In Arkansas and Texas, there are joint celebrations of the birthdays of Robert E. Lee (a general in the Confederate army) and Martin Luther King on the third Monday in January. In Texas, this is sometimes known as Confederate Heroes Day. In Kentucky, Louisiana and Tennessee, the birthday of Jefferson Davis (the only President of the Confederate States of America) on June 3, 1808, is observed.

In North and South Carolina, May 10 marks the anniversaries of the death of Thomas Jonathan 'Stonewall' Jackson (a general in the Confederate army) in 1863 and the capture of Jefferson Davis in 1865. In Pennsylvania, the organization known as the Sons of Confederate Veterans commemorates those who died while fighting for the Confederates. In Virginia, the lives of Confederate soldiers are honored on Memorial Day on the last Monday in May. Confederate Memorial Day was first observed in a number of areas in or just after 1866

Cobra,

Note that I quoted 2 posts I did above. I hope this helps clear up why some states observe on different dates. Ga still gives 4/26 as a state holiday.

I think I said it in the quoted posts above but 4/26 is the date Gen Joe Johnston officially surrendered to the devil Sherman

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If the Confederate Generals had respect for William T. Sherman, how do ya'll feel about the man? I was taught to hate and despise the man growing up as with all Yankees. I realize now that's a foolish way to be taught as I am now back in the Union. My state, i've always been in the Union.
General Joe Johnston respected the man. I guess what I'm looking for is was he doing what he thought was correct for his cause?
“Total war”, or “hard war” as Sherman called it, was a strategy to destroy all objects of military value to the enemy. In doing so, Sherman hoped to cut off its access to resources, and strangle the enemy into submission. Even from the start of the war the Confederate army was ill equipped, but the destruction of the limited resources still available was a terrible blow. These tactics created resentment in the Southern people which remained long after the war was over. To his credit, Sherman was preoccupied with the care of those civilians in the area of combat. After the capture of Atlanta, he ordered all civilians to leave the city, as he knew that they would be in greater danger within it, than outside of it. Sherman burned the resources critical to the enemy’s war effort within the city according to his total war policy. However, this fire spread throughout the city and created wide spread damage. If Sherman hadn’t ordered the residents out of the city, who knows what the death toll would have been.
I've read some terrible accounts from his march to the sea. I've read some terrible accounts from all wars. We take more consideration of civilians now than even in WWII. It seemed to change after that war. Getting back to Sherman, was he a monster or was he even a good general? Was he just following orders?

We had some discussion about Sherman in this thread a while back.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=583785

Last edited:

cobra97

Cobra,

Note that I quoted 2 posts I did above. I hope this helps clear up why some states observe on different dates. Ga still gives 4/26 as a state holiday.

I think I said it in the quoted posts above but 4/26 is the date Gen Joe Johnston officially surrendered to the devil Sherman

Thanks, that helped. Appreciate your response.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
April 26th is Confederate Memorial Day in GA.

westcobbdog

Richard R. Kirkland, Confederate Hero

Richard R. Kirkland was the fifth son of John and Mary Vaughn Kirkland. He was born near Flat Rock, Kershaw District, South Carolina in August 1843. His parents were worthy people whose patriotic roots went back to the Revolutionary War. It is written that the Kirkland's sent four sons to fight for South Carolina during the War Between the States.

In early 1861, when it was clear that war would come to the South, Richard R. Kirkland joined the Camden Volunteers in South, Carolina. Kirkland would gain the rank of Sergeant in Compnay G, 2nd South Carolina Volunteer Infantry, Kershaw's Brigade, McLaw's Division, Longstreet's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia CSA.

From First Manassas to Chickamauga, Kirkland fought in every battle his command was engaged in. He was wounded and sometimes ill but he was always ready to get back into the fight.

Kirkland distinguished himself at the Battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia. A friend from his childhood would relate a incident that proved him to be a great man. Many Union soldiers were killed in front of Marye's Heights. It is wirtten that the plain was covered with the enemy's dead and wounded. The weather was very cold and the dying Union troops were crying out for water.

Confederate Kirkland was given permission to give the Union soldiers water. Kirkland collected all the canteens he could and crawled to a well nearby to fill them for the dying soldiers. He did this under fire including that of sharpshooters. He also tried to make the Union soldiers more comfortable. When Union troops saw what he was attempting they ceased firing in admiration and appreciation of his kind deed. This great deed would not be forgotten in the North and recently was written about in a Northern newspaper.

Richard R. Kirland weathered many a battle, including Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, but was killed at the Battle of Chickamauga, Georgia.

I saw this monument to Sgt. Kirkland during a trip to Fredricksburg last fall. Impressive monument to a truly compassionate man..........MM
General Kirkland was a great man indeed. Regarding providing aid to the enemy Sam Watkins tells of many a reb killed by union sharpshooters attempting to aid the wounded enemy lying wounded near their works. He mentions a few occasions where Yankees shot their own trying to gain the shelter of confederate lines or shot as they were given water by a compassionate reb. Forget, nah.

BriarPatch99

Another Confederate Ancestor .... Asa Beasley. Georgia 20th Infantry Company G . killed April 14, 1863(?) in Petersburg VA.

Last edited: