15 inch cast iron fry pan available at walmart $16.86

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I don't know what you would ever do with one but I bought one anyway. It just might be a deer camp biscuit pan.

naildrvr

I bought one about 15 years ago. I think I've used it twice. I look at it like insurance, it's better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.

biggdogg

Make awful sure not to make Mama mad with that thing around. Likely leave a permanent knot... ::ke:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
am I the only one who cooks in cast iron every night??????

No, you are not. I love it. I'm not a fan of Wallyworld Chinese cast iron cookwear, though.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have one that is about 50 years old. Keep it hanging on the wall by the stove. It is my go to bacon pan when I need to fry up 5 lbs. or so.

I don't like the new stuff either. Even the Lodge has the pebbly finish not the slick one like the old iron.

georgia_home

that's a good'n.

one of the guys i dealt with in korea back in the day earned that as his nickname, for what the mrs would do to him for hangin out with the americans...

park wan pan!

thanks for prompting the acid flashback! :cheers:

Make awful sure not to make Mama mad with that thing around. Likely leave a permanent knot... ::ke:

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Great to flash cook a steak in with a stick 'o butta !!

MOTS

If you run across some that says "Griswold" on the bottom at a decent price, keep it and research it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have one that is about 50 years old. Keep it hanging on the wall by the stove. It is my go to bacon pan when I need to fry up 5 lbs. or so.

I don't like the new stuff either. Even the Lodge has the pebbly finish not the slick one like the old iron.

Cast iron is the way to go! My mother handed down to me some of my grandmother's cast iron.

Yep. My two go-to cast iron pans:

A 10" that was originally purchased for my great-grandma by my great grandpa. My great-grandma used it most of her life, passed it down to her son, who passed it down to his daughter (my mom,) who passed it down to me. It is well over a hundred years old.

A 12" that I call the "Rooster Pan." It was bought in the early 1950s, and here is the story:

My dad owned a tire shop in Waynesville, NC. There was an old shellshocked (PTSD) WW2 veteran (highly decorated,) named "Rooster" Bartlett, who used to hang around there. He absolutely loved to fish. He had no home, and no drivers license, and no car.

My dad and uncle were planning a weeklong trout fishing/camping trip back in the Smokies. Rooster heard them planning the trip, and asked if he could go. He said he would bring the groceries and do all the cooking if they let him go with them. They told him, sure.

Rooster showed up with a bunch of food and a brand-new cast iron pan. They camped and fished for a week. When they were breaking camp to go home, Rooster washed his cast-iron pan lovingly, and set it on a stump in the campsite. Dad told him, "Rooster, you forgot your pan!"

Rooster said, "George, I don't have anywhere to keep it. I'll just leave it there for whoever comes along and wants it."

Dad said, "Well, can I have it , then?"

Rooster says, "Sure!"

So, dad brought the pan home. Him and mom used it for decades. Dad died, and mom got so she couldn't lift it any more, and asked me if I wanted it. You know what I said. :)

My #3 pan is a 10" one that belonged to my great-aunt, is nearly a hundred years old. When she went into a nursing home, I was helping my mom clean out aunt Helen's house out to put up for sale. Mom told me to get something I wanted. Out of everything there, I got the old cast iron pan. :)

Piping hot cast iron makes the best corn bread you ever ate. ;)

I have a dedicated cast-iron cornbread pan. Nothing else touches it except cornbread batter, at the peril of my wrath. :D

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
When I graduated high school and was moving out into the big world on my own, Mama gave me a homemade quilt she sewed with her own hands and a cast iron frying pan that was old before I was born. Her reasoning was that I would have something to wrap up in when it was cold and something to cook with always.

I still have both. Only the Good Lord knows how much food that frying pan has cooked since it was traded for.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Never bought any cast iron except a Lodge dutch oven pot that don't really get used much. All of my cast iron is handed down from my kin folk. I'm like NChb with my cornbread skillet. Nothing touches it but cornbread.:cool: We use cast iron more than anything in our house. Aint nothing betta! :fine:

redeli

"Useless Billy Coach"
When I graduated high school and was moving out into the big world on my own, Mama gave me a homemade quilt she sewed with her own hands and a cast iron frying pan that was old before I was born. Her reasoning was that I would have something to wrap up in when it was cold and something to cook with always.

I still have both. Only the Good Lord knows how much food that frying pan has cooked since it was traded for.

my mom also quilted a quilt for us...3 boys and a girl...still have it today...i also have 3 cast iron pan that my grandma usde

Patriot44

Banned

This actually happened to my grandfather shortly after coming home from Korea. My uncle Darrell knocked him out when he was in a drunken stooper over the war and hitting on my grandmother.

No one, not even my wife touches my cast iron. You can, but you may get hit. :bounce:

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I've got at least a dozen frying pans that I acquired in various ways. I know that is overkill and way more than I need. Over the years, I acquired that many because I could get them cheap or free then recondition them. The reason the wife uses them is because she knows that I will clean them. That 15 inch pan was just a mindless purchase because I didn't have one.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
All us old fogies and our old ways... reminds me of something country folks would do using cast iron and whatnot!!!:flag:

Latest posts