2,4-D help

menhadenman

For the second year running I’ve picked up some 2-4D from Tractor Supply that doesn’t seem to work very well.

Last year it was Pasture Pro. I can’t recall the exact concentrations I used but jacked it up three times with little luck in tackling my broadleaf weeds. I figured it must’ve been expired and dumped it out.

This year I picked up some Gordon’s Amine 400 from the same TSC. It’s worked a little better but still not as good as 24-D I’ve used in the past. The first spray was 6 oz/4 gallons, second was 8 oz/4 gallons.

I have a lot of the common weeds, but tons of Japanese clover in the mix.

Any suggestions on a better product or higher concentration I should go to would be appreciated.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Mix it stronger, or get some Crossbow.

Havana Dude

Just throwing this out there. Are you shaking the concentrate well, before mixing? I failed to do so a couple times and got less than desired results. Just a thought.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
For the second year running I’ve picked up some 2-4D from Tractor Supply that doesn’t seem to work very well.

Last year it was Pasture Pro. I can’t recall the exact concentrations I used but jacked it up three times with little luck in tackling my broadleaf weeds. I figured it must’ve been expired and dumped it out.

This year I picked up some Gordon’s Amine 400 from the same TSC. It’s worked a little better but still not as good as 24-D I’ve used in the past. The first spray was 6 oz/4 gallons, second was 8 oz/4 gallons.

I have a lot of the common weeds, but tons of Japanese clover in the mix.

Any suggestions on a better product or higher concentration I should go to would be appreciated.
I mixed up some for my wife to use at 6oz per 2 gallons. It's still been very slow to work. Poison Ivy dried up within a couple weeks, but several other plants have just turned sickly and starting to yellow.

Roundup would have killed it dead by now, but Roundup was $140/gallon compared to $60/gallon for the 24d.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

doomtrpr_z71

I mixed up some for my wife to use at 6oz per 2 gallons. It's still been very slow to work. Poison Ivy dried up within a couple weeks, but several other plants have just turned sickly and starting to yellow.

Roundup would have killed it dead by now, but Roundup was $140/gallon compared to $60/gallon for the 24d.
You sure you used 24d cause yellowing is a symptom of glyphosate damage, phenoxys would cause twisting and leaf strapping.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I would be extremely surprised if it did more than defoliate it at that low of a rate, those lawn mixes only have 1/4 of the 24D a true 24d herbicide would have in it.
Well if there's one thing we have plenty of, it's poison ivy. If it only defoliated it, we'll have another chance with Roundup. I almost got some Crossbow, but didn't want to turn her loose with that just yet.

menhadenman

I bought 24d from the local farm supply place. 2oz in a 4 gallon sprayer kills any broadleaf I've sprayed it on.
What brand? That seems thin but sure worked better than my recipe.

Guy I was talking to today says the Hi Yield 24d works well at 4oz/gallon