2020 Oglethorpe County

bigblocktransam

Anyone recognize these? Right at hwy 22, and thaxton.

Attachments

• 78891B03-FCFC-4833-85F0-7D12B27D5D82.png
    78891B03-FCFC-4833-85F0-7D12B27D5D82.png
    338 KB · Views: 48
  • 09294D28-8164-477D-A5AC-D49DD0CDF4C6.png
    09294D28-8164-477D-A5AC-D49DD0CDF4C6.png
    338 KB · Views: 48

Todd E

Not right off hand. Dont know anybody with a cart.

Anything missing? Anything damaged?

My best luck of determining ids has been by posting on county FB pages.

transfixer

I was wearing jeans and snake boots working at camp today, after the first hour I wished I'd at least worn some thin material pants, the no seeums are definitely active around there, a new spot I'm going to hunt is about 50,60 yds off of a creek, looks like a jungle around there, mosquito heaven, and the humidity is so thick feels like you could cut it with a knife, "supposedly" we are supposed to have a little cooler weather by opening day, highs around 80, lows at night 63-65, we'll see if they're right or not :huh:

Triple C

Well boys...We’ve never planted this early but with all of the moisture in the ground we rolled the dice and planted about 1/2 of our plots this past weekend. Used Oglethorpe Feed n Seed mix of wheat, oats and winter peas and added Pennington Trophy radish to the mix. Sprayed the other plots with gly to kill everything and will hold off on planting them until late September.
8BC26CBA-C053-4939-94F3-A8C6D29B348A.jpeg

219981DF-03B6-4544-A84C-8964C30BCF8F.jpeg

Also set a couple of trad bow ladder stands. These are only 10 feet to the seat so finding a tree with plenty of cover in the right spot is a bit of a challenge. I did a review in the traditional archery section if you want to read my comments.
69FE857F-B683-45EE-9EC3-D79E0F7A6623.jpeg

2 weeks and counting. Extended forecast looking good!

Souhternhunter17

Planted our main food plot down in OC yesterday (wheat,oats, peas mix) and got a good rain on it last night. Planning to plant the smaller plots on opening weekend of bow season along with overseeding the long stretch of the main plot with another mix with clover in it. Trail camera check resulted in no real shooter bucks... however that doesn't mean they aren't there! Hoping the cooler weather holds for that weekend, if so it should have them on their feet!

Arrow3

I sure hope the cooler weather holds out for you guys who planted those cereal grains this past weekend. Ive been burned before and had to replant. Ive gotten to where I wait till October to plant mine these day. Best of luck with them!

Todd E

I sure hope the cooler weather holds out for you guys who planted those cereal grains this past weekend. Ive been burned before and had to replant. Ive gotten to where I wait till October to plant mine these day. Best of luck with them!

We don't plant until at least 10/15 either. I did plant some summer stuff 2 weeks ago for kim.

Souhternhunter17

Yeah I don't like to plant this early but when you have to run 1 hour here and 1 hour there to barrow a trailer & tractor it is what it is. I had to mow off a dove field at a buddies place for this Saturday so it's just convenient to go ahead and plant and hope for the best. Hopefully we'll get rain and cooler temps after this week.

Triple C

You boys are spot on with the risk in planting so early. Definitely rolling the dice with the odds not in my favor. With that said, I've gotten burned with drought in 2016 and again last year from mid September thru October and pretty much lost what I planted in early Oct.

With so much moisture in the ground, and decent rain in forecast, I decided to roll the dice when I knew I would get germination. Add 3 lbs of Pennington Trophy radish per acre to the wheat/oat/winter pea mix in an attempt to give them at least 60 days of growth before first frost.

If I had a do-over, I would also have added 50 lbs of IC peas to the mix as they would be prime on the opener in 2 weeks. That would have been a good mix - wheat, oats, austrian winter peas, radish and I/C peas.

Stay tuned...I'll post pics as the plots progress.

transfixer

I almost forgot to mention what I witnessed this past weekend when at the club in OC, I was coming back to camp from the lower end of our property and flushed a covey of quail that were in the pines close to one of our roads, they flew across the road and lit back down , I watched them scurrying around, probably about 15 to 20 of them most of them looked immature, not yet adults, I was surprised and glad to see them ! We used to have a good many on that lease 30-40 yrs ago, but then they disappeared, I saw about a half dozen really small chicks last summer when cruising our inner roads, and thought that was just a fluke, but evidently they are breeding and surviving , we still have yotes around, but don't seem to have as many as we used to , not sure where the quail originated from ? but glad to see them none the less !

Todd E

Didn't draw a gator tag. Didn't draw park hunt. Did draw first Flint River hunt. Do not have a single mature buck found on my local spots. Do have one mature dink in SGA. I'm by no means excited about deer season.

Where's dem pigz?

Triple C

Didn't draw a gator tag. Didn't draw park hunt. Did draw first Flint River hunt. Do not have a single mature buck found on my local spots. Do have one mature dink in SGA. I'm by no means excited about deer season.

Where's dem pigz?

Ahhhh...the joy of hunting in the piedmont of GA. Deer everywhere but anything other than a youngster buck is hard to come by.

At least we have pigz!

Buford_Dawg

Where's dem pigz?
Guess we will have to shoot Dinks at BCR ;) Seriously, tough to find a shooter buck in OC right now for me too.

Arrow3

Any of yall shooting doves tomorrow? Good luck if you do. My shoot got canceled due to a death in the family of the landowner. We will shoot it Sunday instead.

I may go catch some more catfish ?