2020 Oglethorpe County

Arrow3

Dnr Officer Captain Stan Elrod was hit by a drunk driver and killed yesterday in Madison County.

Buford_Dawg

No doves for me today, took yesterday off and meet my youngest son at one of our clubs and worked hard for about 4 hours, back to camp and spent the evening relaxing with several guys in camp, then back to work at another club this AM for about 4 hours. Pretty much done on 2 of the 3 places I hunt, the 3rd place will get bushogged in the next few weeks and stands checked for safety. Then all time spent towards sitting in a tree, need some cold weather.

Arrow3

I've had this deer behind my house for 4 or 5 years. Never sheds its rack. I was convinced it was an antlered doe and low and behold I got a pic of it standing on its back legs. Definitely a antlered doefacebook_1599349008683_6708155944515752238_21858195484733.jpg

Hughy

Got a call this evening for a last minute dove shoot at a buddy’s. Not a bad shoot to have started at 6:30 and not to mention I shot less than 1 box of shells (y)
Also came across a shed that somehow stayed out of a tractor tire and hay baler.

Is anybody else excited that hunting season is finally here, or is it just me?
Next Saturday can’t get here quick enough!!

67C0766B-3658-42D1-8394-3AA17824E93C.jpeg

Triple C

The Ms and I are in Hilton Head with grandkids and part of the crew. Got this pic from Brooks late yesterday when they were finishing up planting the bean field. Threw a smorgasbord in this plot. Sprayed plot with gly last Saturday and did a one pass plant into it yesterday. So much easier to plant after being sprayed.

Earliest we’ve ever planted. Swore I would never plant until October but made a liar out of myself this year. They ended up splitting firewood for the winter. Least they could do while we down here entertaining the crew. :cool:

A1A30A31-E24C-407A-A712-0F95AE98EEBE.jpeg

transfixer

I hope I'm not speaking too soon, or going to jinx us, but it appears our not shooting any does off our lease for the last few years is starting to show results, I've got a good many deer on camera so far this year, although no shooters have shown up , we've got quite a few that could be respectable in another year or two. We plan on continuing to leave does alone on our lease, even though we know our adjoining club likely won't do the same, trying to keep plenty of corn and other attractants out for them so they don't have to venture far , and we have plenty of browse that has grown up in our thinned pines this year .

Here's hoping for a good year ! I don't really care whether I pull the trigger on one or not , I just enjoy seeing them while I'm enjoying the outdoors !

I'll be heading back to OC friday midday, I just wish the weather would stay like it was this past weekend, but it appears the humidity will be back by then .

Buford_Dawg

Trans, we worked a good 4 hours at BCR Saturday AM, got all our stands ready to hunt, seen a few deer as we went around the property, hopefully you are right the deer are making a comeback around there. Our neighbors to the north, the ones right across from your gate were bush hogging and planting plots as well, everybody is getting ready it appears. I left and headed home about noon time, so I wasn't around for the dove shooting, but heard from friends that there were some good hunts around Sandy Cross and Glades over the holiday weekend. One day I am going to figure out how to get a invite :)

transfixer

Trans, we worked a good 4 hours at BCR Saturday AM, got all our stands ready to hunt, seen a few deer as we went around the property, hopefully you are right the deer are making a comeback around there. Our neighbors to the north, the ones right across from your gate were bush hogging and planting plots as well, everybody is getting ready it appears. I left and headed home about noon time, so I wasn't around for the dove shooting, but heard from friends that there were some good hunts around Sandy Cross and Glades over the holiday weekend. One day I am going to figure out how to get a invite :)

Everyone seems to be more active this year in getting ready for the season, the guys that hunt adjacent to us inside the gate have been very active over there this year, I met a couple of them who've only been in the club a couple years, but are kinda assuming the lead over there, seem to be good folks,

I used to love Dove hunting in my teens and early 20's, my Dad and I would go all over the state to various hunts we heard about, then it got to where it was pretty expensive for opening day, and too crowded on some we went to , so we just quit going, haven't Dove hunted in a very long time, if you find a good hunt that needs another shooter let me know ! :)

Hughy

I was bush hogging some strips in my millet yesterday when I caught this big rascal trying to slip away. I’ve probably killed 10 copperheads on the farm in the last few years but never one this big. He was a touch over 44” long but his girth was what was so impressive. From what I found on the internet the average size in Georgia is between 29”-36”. Definitely not the kind of “trophy” I want to have roaming around on my place. 84F073EA-4C5A-4766-A103-E806669D92EC.jpegF2CBDA82-D41A-4E68-9532-7E806027EEAF.png

transfixer

That is a big un ! I'm glad my snake boots are comfortable, I wear them all the time when I'm in OC at the club, at least until it gets really cold.

Triple C

Holy Cow! That's a monster copperhead. In 10 years, we've ran across 1 copperhead, 0 moccasins and 0 timber rattlers. And we're down there a lot. I don't understand why we haven't seen more but glad we haven't.

Glad you weren't slipping into a stand with that thing laying in the trail.

Arrow3

Holy Cow! That's a monster copperhead. In 10 years, we've ran across 1 copperhead, 0 moccasins and 0 timber rattlers. And we're down there a lot. I don't understand why we haven't seen more but glad we haven't.

Glad you weren't slipping into a stand with that thing laying in the trail.
You more then likely won't ever see a rattlesnake on your place and you'll never see a cottonmouth this far north.

Buford_Dawg

Dang.... Hate to see that anytime. Thats definitely grown one. In my 40+ years of hunting OC, I have seen and killed 3 copperheads, 0 rattlesnakes and have let countless black snakes crawl. The last 2 times I have been down, I have had to relocate black snakes from my camp area and the neighbors front porch. I bet some of you remember several years back the gentlemen who passed due to a rattlesnake bite on opening weekend, hated to hear that. I think that was in the Sandy Cross area or close. So, they are around, be careful.

Big_Red

While not new to the forum, I'm new to Oglethorpe. After seeing Triple C's slice of heaven out there I knew one day it would happen for me.

I'm now a proud owner of a tract outside of Maxeys. Looking forward to learning land management and more about hunting.

In regards to snakes, a forester from GFC told me today Maxeys is known for snakes. I sure hope not but always wear my knee high snake boots in warm weather!

Buford_Dawg

Welcome Big Red, great group here, please post often :) Things will really kick up here shortly with deer season about to start.