2020 Oglethorpe County

Buford_Dawg

Been in woods consistently since Wednesday eveining. Saw deer everyone sit but once, does and yearling bucks, did let a ~110 inch 8 or 9 point walk Friday AM in hopes my son would see him, but we never went back to that property, so hopefully he still there for next weekend. Brandon, sightings at our SC property were slim this weekend for most members with exception of me :) The clearcut neighbors in between us have wore them out last 7-9 days, that reason they missing. Hate to hear your WMA hunt was a bust. We killed another pig on friday AM, that makes 7 for me and my youngest son since gun season started. I have yet to see any chasing or hearing bucks grunt, but my club members think that it is totally over, I have no clue, they think it was 2 weeks early this year, I would like to hear yall's thoughts.

Triple C

I'll post a couple pics later tonite of taking my grand daughter on her first "live" hunt. Went to Jerry's place in Winterville Saturday morn n picked up a Savage Axis .243 in youth model. Unfortunately, they only had a partial box of Winchester 100 gr Power Points and threw those in with the deal. Used those to finish sighting in the scope.

Huge shout out to @Arrow3!!! He brought a box of same round to the farm and gave em to me. Grand daughter shot about 8 rounds after sighting it in and was dead-on at 25 yds. We headed to the elevated blind in our largest field and waited on a buck for her. Just as we were climbing down with doe in the field, I'm standing on the ladder and on que, a small buck comes in chasing does. We ease down the ladder and get him in sight but just to risky of a shot for her first. Next time.

Again, thx a million Brandon for the loaner box of shells. Got you covered the minute I can find some.

Hoyt804

We had a great weekend with a lot of deer seen. My oldest daughter ended up killing an 8 pt. that was chasing a doe yesterday evening. The bucks are still after them and I'm getting new ones on camera just about daily.

Triple C

Got time to post a couple of firsts at the farm this weekend. Bout a month ago my oldest son told us to be on the look out for the Jarro spider - an invasive from Asia that is HUGE! Supposedly discovered near Carlton after catching a ride over from somewhere in Asia. Son has em on his place in White County. Said their web is always bout head high and very strong.

Well...this morn I'm just easing down around our bottoms and glassing back in the woods when I see a huge spider about 30 ft away across a pathway. Sho nuff...we got Jarro's.
Jarro Spider.jpg

My grand daughter who's soon to be 12, has recently wanted to start hunting. She's sat a few times with me over the years but has now decided she want's to go full in and shoot her own deer. She's shot skeet for a couple of years with .20 gauge so I didn't thing she would have an issue with a mild recoil rifle. Found a Savage Axix youth model in .243 at Jerry's place in Winterville. Picked it up yesterday morning but was only able to grab a partial box of cartridges in Winchester 100 gr Power Points. Just as we were preparing to zero in the scope, knowing I only had a dozen cartridges to work with, @Arrow3 comes rolling up with a box of the same ammo and hands em to me. Got Bertha (grand daughter liked the name), zeroed in and grand daughter shooting tight groups at 25 yds.

No deer taken while on stand but had a close encounter. Memory will last a lifetime.
Calli's first hunt.JPG

Arrow3

Was happy to help @Triple C . Hope that young lady gets her first deer soon.

I spent the evening with @Hughy at his barn helping (watching) him make deer sausage. Let me tell you it came out delicious too. I think we should all start taking him deer in coolers and let him make sausage for all of us. ? 20201115_181516.jpg20201115_181525.jpg20201115_191229.jpg

Broncobird

Bucks have been on the move on our place in SC area last few days or couple of weeks for that matter. I seen 7 different bucks Fri morning and 4 Sat morning most just coming out chasing does that are in the food plots or traveling alone . No real hard chasing thinking this is gonna be the week but afraid they may be locked down by the weekend,

fredw

Retired Moderator
Weekend report: Most of the buck activity on our lease was the little bucks doing their thing. We did have one big ten chasing a doe on Saturday but the club member couldn't get on him for a shot.

One pig shot on Friday and I shot an eight in a foot plot late Saturday. Our plots are looking good.IMG-4061.jpg

Kootie

Gonna offer here first....Seem like a good group of guys.
Exchange hunting rights for meat. PLEASE READ
I own 62 Acres in Oglethorpe Co. (Carlton) Very Remote tract
I will offer deer hunting rights until 12/31/2020 in exchange for meat processed at either Dorminy's or The Meat Shed. Talking slim Jim's, jerky, summer sausage. Whole deer....not just a pack
Must be straight up and honest. No drinking or stupid stuff. It has not been hunted in two years...plenty of deer and occasional hog. You will have exclusive rights. I have 160 acres in Madison Co that I hunt. I can explain more to the right candidate.
Message me here for phone number.
I can show it later this week. Liability release required. You provide stands....none currently property. Obey GA Laws

Scott