2020 surprise bear down!

ghadarits

Congratulations on a successful adventure. Alaska is one of my happy places. I’ve never hunted there I’m more of a fisherman but I’ve seen some amazing animals and scenery there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent! A moose hunt has always been on my fantasy list.

twincedargap

Congrats again Tom! Zip ties are good. Let’s hear the story.[/QUOT

So upon arrival in Fairbanks for our hunt, we took the time to shoot the rifle at a local range, noticed no issue. Arrived in field, hunted several days (me bow, son using rifle). We moved camp due to lack of moose sign, so I had occasion to pick up the rifle as I was moving things in camp. Heard a rattle as I put the rifle down, w/ch lead to discovery that the front base of the scope was very loose. I had an Allen wrench, but no star bit to remove the scope rings to access the base.
We’re 100 miles from no where, so my son became a camper/packer, and me a bow hunter. We resigned ourselves to it and moved on w/our hunt. Two days later I was bored and came up with a zip tie configuration that locked down the front of the scope pretty dang firmly. test fire shows It’s 3-4” low @ 50 yds. We make the elevation adjustment and end up taking the moose down with it @ ~60 yds (had decided 100 yds would be our max).
8269E8DB-31A5-4D7E-954E-BDF293085939.jpeg

Jason F

So upon arrival in Fairbanks for our hunt, we took the time to shoot the rifle at a local range, noticed no issue. Arrived in field, hunted several days (me bow, son using rifle). We moved camp due to lack of moose sign, so I had occasion to pick up the rifle as I was moving things in camp. Heard a rattle as I put the rifle down, w/ch lead to discovery that the front base of the scope was very loose. I had an Allen wrench, but no star bit to remove the scope rings to access the base.
We’re 100 miles from no where, so my son became a camper/packer, and me a bow hunter. We resigned ourselves to it and moved on w/our hunt. Two days later I was bored and came up with a zip tie configuration that locked down the front of the scope pretty dang firmly. test fire shows It’s 3-4” low @ 50 yds. We make the elevation adjustment and end up taking the moose down with it @ ~60 yds (had decided 100 yds would be our max).

Way to adapt and overcome! Great job, and what a fun adventure for you & your son to share.

bany

Quite the adventure,congratulations!