336 Marlin..

Tunaman

BANNED
Thinking scope. I love the rifle because it’s light. Have a red dot sight now but thinking scope. I see no need for a real high power as the stifle (.35 Rem) isn’t along range rifle anyhow. Not looking to make believe I’m wealthy either. Suggestions!

Tunaman

BANNED
I've always been fond of what came on them...or Skinner Peeps
Well I'm fond of a scope...do not like peeps, ill go with open sights (thats what came on this one) first...just me preference
ive always been fond of a good fixed 4x or 6x power scope on my lever actions. lots of choices. i like the weaver.
Thanks I was thinking 4x0r maybe 6x. just something to clear things up a bit. also the less glare the better, thanks

bilgerat

Senior
I have 3 336s in different calibers, all have good quality 3x9x40 scopes on weaver see thru mounts on them . Its the perfect combination for deer and I am confident out to 200 yards with the 35 and 30-30, My 308MX is good out to 300 yds

TnHunter356

Banned !!
I normally am thinking woods hunting when I choose a lever gun, so I'm a huge fan of low power variables on mine. The difference in field of view at 20 yards if a buck runs by dogging a doe is much better on a 1-4 set at 1-2 than any 4 or 6x.

I like the Weaver 1-3, the Leupold 1-4, Hawke 1-4 and Vortex Crossfire II, 1-4 and have them all on my lever guns. The Vortex Crossfire can be purchased for 2 Benjamins with an illuminated reticle, which is very nice in low light and can be used set bright at 1x like a quick pointing red dot sight.

I've never felt handicapped in the least using one of these (or similar) on any of my lever guns. Typically, they are even more compact than a fixed 4x. My only exception is my BLR/.325 which wears a 2-7x33 VX-R for it's much longer range potential.

My Henry 45-70 with Hawke 1-4x24 with illuminated reticle.

IMG_20191029_073521683~2.jpg

Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Nice set up. I’m thinking hard on a Henry Big Boy in 45 LC to pair up with my Ruger Blackhawk. I’ll most likely go with a fix low power scope to help out my aging eyes.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
That will work just fine. Like that ?

35 Whelen

I put a Leupold VX I 2-7x33 with a DNZ one piece scope mount (low) on my Marlin 35 Remington and use Hornady 200 grain leverevloution.

GregoryB.

I often contemplate the same thing , to scope or not. As my eyes get older seeing those sights get harder and harder.

biggdogg

Both my 336's are topped with Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33 scopes. They're more than enough for the shots I'm likely to take with them. They're mounted with Weaver Grand Slam bases and rings. No see-through rings for me.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have never been a fan of a scope on a classic lever action. I think they are perfect woods guns the way they are. With that said-After getting old and decrepit and not having as good of vision as I used to, I am currently in the process of fighting with myself over the idea of sticking a 4x on my old Winchester 250 .22 lever for squirrel headshots.

Tunaman

BANNED
I put a Leupold VX I 2-7x33 with a DNZ one piece scope mount (low) on my Marlin 35 Remington and use Hornady 200 grain leverevloution.
Yes I use the LeveRevolution also. Had my .35 given to me. I always hunted open sights but the ones on this rifle were junk in my mind. t the time didn't want the weight of a scope so went with red dot. I like it except aim anywhere near the sun you see nothing.

Wifeshusband

Toughest rifle ever made. Used mine with iron sights only for about 15 years when I was young, then switched to scoped bolt actions. Miss the
old lever works. I once dropped it 20 ft from a stand. Didn't harm the gun in the least. I often dream of getting another with a fixed power only.

delacroix

BANNED
2-7x from the US or Phillipines is the classic answer. That means Leupold's or Burris' econo models. The glass in those is good enough for GA in the open. If you want to make it to 30 minutes after sunset in dark timber then you're gonna have to spend more. Leupold VXR is good enough in that case.

Tunaman

BANNED
Toughest rifle ever made. Used mine with iron sights only for about 15 years when I was young, then switched to scoped bolt actions. Miss the
old lever works. I once dropped it 20 ft from a stand. Didn't harm the gun in the least. I often dream of getting another with a fixed power only.
If multiple shots are common I'm definitely no big lever action fan, but where I hunt you're probably only gonna get one shot so the lever is fine. I compare the Marlin to the Winchester and in my opinion most who say they prefer the Winchester they probably haven't used the Marlin.

Wifeshusband

I had the pleasure of shooting them both. The Marlin was heavier and seemed better balanced to me. My marlin was a 30/30 and the heaviness knocked off some of the recoil. I regret not keeping it and putting a fixed power scope on it . . . but life is full of regrets.