6mm Dasher

Jester896

Senior Clown
talk about patients or the lack of.
The next rifle he is building in 6 Dasher is on a Bat action. He waited 9 months for the action to turn around to send it to McMillan, since they won't make a stock without the action in hand, to wait until McMillan can build the stock

rmp

talk about patients or the lack of.
The next rifle he is building in 6 Dasher is on a Bat action. He waited 9 months for the action to turn around to send it to McMillan, since they won't make a stock without the action in hand, to wait until McMillan can build the stock
Hopefully these stock manufacturers will be having faster turnaround times since cutting their lines and inlet options.
I expect my Manners to take 10 months and will be ecstatic if it’s sooner.

I’ve sent a barreled action to Manners in the past rather than a typical order and was still a 6-7 month wait if I’m remembering correctly. Another for a Borden inlet was under 6. Just never know. Joys of the custom world.

Ya sorry that was aimed at jester.

I was wondering if that caused any significant pressure jumps as I was always told to seat a bullet back .015 -.020 from the lands.

Just trying to learn here. Never heard of “jamming” the bullet into the lands. Soft seating or however you out it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
you might find some stuff about from John Widden somewhere.

yes, it can cause pressure spikes...I'm not at a max load for sure. I was cautious. Some say it is a good thing to do to break any weld the two different metals may have made right before you shoot it depending on how long they were together. I doubt you would find me doing it with a hunting rifle since they are closer to a max load.

rmp...back when I built my .260 the wait for the Manners T2A was going to be 9 months....I got lucky and found one just like I would have speced in stock at CS Tactical....the only thing I did to it later on was add an Area419 Arca to get the bipod out from under the stock...spigot mount sorta.

Thanks for the explanation.

Learned something new today!

Almost all of my hunting loads shoot best at max pressure so I guess I will just keep on keeping on.

The benchrest stuff is certainly a different animal than reloading for cost saving on general hunting loads.

rmp

Turned out to be a nice afternoon on the BLM but winds wouldn’t lay down or stay steady. Gusts were hitting 25+mph and shaking my makeshift table. Tough to keep still but got 5 of the Berger’s on paper. Chambered a Scenar round and decided it would have to wait for another day. Can’t wait to try this rifle on a legitimate bench.

67FFE3BE-E382-4F2B-8DE5-A7056F556911.jpeg

rmp

Maybe the last update until my own BRA is done.
The owner came by today and he handled his rifle for the first time. We made it over to the public land and shot a while. He dry fired a few times just because even though it’s just an old Walker trigger. He shot 3 times to get the feel and shot the following 5 shot group with 108 Bergers.

32621A09-3D0D-4833-A09C-E08C4762B835.jpeg

He had trouble keeping steady so wanted to take a break and asked me about trying the Scenars. Notice he’s shooting to the right like I was so we wanted to make a move. Like the dummies we are, ended up going the wrong way but with a nice group.
Not bad for a pawnshop action and a budget barrel shot from a rickety table. Still no load development yet. Just .020” off lands because that’s how the 6mm-284 likes them.

CA4273BE-7F50-4855-A5A1-0589EA9E943C.jpeg

Jester896

Senior Clown
yes Sir...he passed at 12:35 yesterday.

That was his rifle on the steel above @ 675. That is the one that was set back and the Alpha reamer used.

The .223 I spoke about shot almost that good...I think the wind got him...the same guy picked up 2 of his rifles my good friend built for him...and the rest of us.

rmp

That was his rifle on the steel above @ 675. That is the one that was set back and the Alpha reamer used.

The .223 I spoke about shot almost that good...I think the wind got him...the same guy picked up 2 of his rifles my good friend built for him...and the rest of us.
Very sorry to hear that. It’s never easy even when you know it’s coming.

SC Hunter

I hate that! Prayers for his family and friends!

Jester896

Senior Clown
Jester, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It leaves a void, especially when you have things in common.
the 300 yard target .3 group I posted in post #199 was at his range. He was was watching me through his scope. After the first 3 went into just about the same hole I turned and shared some comradery with him then threw the last 2 out. I still remember the grin on his face like it was yesterday. Well you won that one...he said.

I also remember years ago, when he had only shot to about 500 yards up to that point, the expression on his face when he said, It's a whole nuther ball game past 800 yards." still makes me chuckle. I posted about a .45 group at 1K with my .308 that day.

The last time I was able to see him, he picked up the .223 that my buddy and I had just finished for him that morning. It took him a great deal of time to get in the shop from the truck. The fellow that brought him and I were the only two in that part of the shop...the others were at the shooting bench and putting up targets. Things got a little quiet in the room. He stopped breathing heavy and looked up up at me and asked," What is this...and *expletive* wake?" I snapped back, " I was just waiting for you to catch your breath before I started wailing on your butt." The guy that brought him just about fell off the chair. The guy that brought him shot the first 5 shot group, my buddy that built the rifle shot the second 5 shot group, then I shot it. I went down to the target and took pictures of the groups and sent them to his phone. He didn't have the strength to shoot it himself that day...or any day after that really.

Good Times! I will miss him!
I knew I shoulda locked up my feeling in the safe when I left the house this morning. I'm going back home to lock it up now.

thanks everyone

SC Hunter

the 300 yard target .3 group I posted in post #199 was at his range. He was was watching me through his scope. After the first 3 went into just about the same hole I turned and shared some comradery with him then threw the last 2 out. I still remember the grin on his face like it was yesterday. Well you won that one...he said.

I also remember years ago, when he had only shot to about 500 yards up to that point, the expression on his face when he said, It's a whole nuther ball game past 800 yards." still makes me chuckle. I posted about a .45 group at 1K with my .308 that day.

The last time I was able to see him, he picked up the .223 that my buddy and I had just finished for him that morning. It took him a great deal of time to get in the shop from the truck. The fellow that brought him and I were the only two in that part of the shop...the others were at the shooting bench and putting up targets. Things got a little quiet in the room. He stopped breathing heavy and looked up up at me and asked," What is this...and *expletive* wake?" I snapped back, " I was just waiting for you to catch your breath before I started wailing on your butt." The guy that brought him just about fell off the chair. The guy that brought him shot the first 5 shot group, my buddy that built the rifle shot the second 5 shot group, then I shot it. I went down to the target and took pictures of the groups and sent them to his phone. He didn't have the strength to shoot it himself that day...or any day after that really.

Good Times! I will miss him!
I knew I shoulda locked up my feeling in the safe when I left the house this morning. I'm going back home to lock it up now.

thanks everyone
Good friends are hard to come by and we have to cherish them. I tell all my friends when I die to throw a party and from the sound of it he doesn't want any pitty or sadness. I get in my feelings occasionally and it just means we're human.