6mm Dasher

rmp

I had a standard on a 6.5L set at 15 oz. Felt great until about 200 rounds when I think I got familiar with it and noticed some creep. No amount of lighter fluid or adjustment could remedy. A fellow target shooter had one at 1# and it had the same creepy feel. Same story with the BR. TT Diamond for the win on a single stage.
Ever mess with 2-stage Bix? Never thought I could like a 2-stage but finger contact lets you know where you are…then take it to the wall of the second stage. Great for accuracy in cold weather too.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I noticed the creep on the second shot. I should have dry fired it a couple of times but I didn't. My first goat roping in BR shooting...not versed in the techniques at all. The rifle will shoo My M77VT is 2 stage as well as most of my MSRs and my M1A...I could get used to it on other rifles.

Jester896

Senior Clown
just glancing, it almost looks half the size of a .243 and runs a 107gr bullet...it uses the same bolt face. The ones I saw speed on yesterday were 2913ish ES was super and .1gr more ran them 2930ish with Varget powder

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
Changed my mind...chose the satin finish instead of the gloss...gotta be different

the reamer he is using was one the first gun owners brought made by PT&G. There are several variations in the Dasher depending on who's you use. This reamer is designed to use 6BR brass and blow out the shoulders for the Dasher. We are all using Alpha and those cases are about .050 shorter. May regroup and order a reamer from Alpha. It leaves a pretty big carbon ring just ahead of the case that is hard to get out.

After today 100 rounds are down the pipe for the second gun and it is looking better. Think we found the powder charge it likes and the SD was 6.6. Then we started playing with seating depth...I had to run after pushing it back .002

Yotedawg

Had a friend that had one built by Lester Bruno on a 3 lug bat. It was a shooter. He built it for a 1k yard gun but never got into the game and never fired it past 100 yards before selling it. He is a mortician so he has money like that to play with.

rmp

This reamer is designed to use 6BR brass and blow out the shoulders for the Dasher. We are all using Alpha and those cases are about .050 shorter. May regroup and order a reamer from Alpha.
Are you saying that if you were forming from Lapua 6BR the brass would be approximately .050” longer? That seems like a lot.
I’ve read about the hydro formed, jamming, false shoulder, and even pistol powder. I use false shoulders on some cases and cream of wheat with pistol powder on others.
This is a situation where I’d spec my reamer to the brass or actually my brass after a sizing die.

rmp

that is why we are ordering the Alpha reamer...it matches their brass
Well I’d hope so!
Having a print and a piece of intended use brass does wonders.
Have you formed any brass from 6BR to see if it alleviates this .050” difference in neck length?

Jester896

Senior Clown
I haven't, but I'm sure it will since that is what the reamer was designed around. The person that the reamer belongs to has reformed and likes the alpha brass better. No big deal to change the first 2 rifles.

rmp

After looking through PTG’s list of reamers, he’s got a Dasher reamer specifically for Norma brass. Norma has spec’d a longer neck for their brass at 1.590”. Learn something new everyday. That would definitely account for the additional neck length you guys are seeing.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Yep...I misspoke it is Norma that is longer...followed by Lapua and Alpha may be the shortest. Always an issue with non-SAAMI spec stuff.

bullgator

Yep...I misspoke it is Norma that is longer...followed by Lapua and Alpha may be the shortest. Always an issue with non-SAAMI spec stuff.
Norma brass is a different reamer because of the neck. I wish it was the standard for Dasher.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Why do you feel like it should be the standard?

I do understand that the longer neck could promote better accuracy, then I go back to things that I am more familiar with, like for instance the 300 Win Mag and just how short the neck is. Then I think about the neck length may not matter that much.

bullgator

Why do you feel like it should be the standard?

I do understand that the longer neck could promote better accuracy, then I go back to things that I am more familiar with, like for instance the 300 Win Mag and just how short the neck is. Then I think about the neck length may not matter that much.
For the reasons you stated. Blowing up the BR case loses a fair amount of neck length. I understand that it was the necessary route to get there, but when Norma came out with their version that fixed the only real issue, I wish the shooters and industry would have jumped on it. That would mean the Alpha and Peterson brass would have the longer necks.

rmp

Concur sir. I’m planning to order Norma from Bruno’s and plenty of it. Then move to dies and a reamer. By the time JGS has it done, I should have the essential parts. Thanks for your help.

bullgator

Concur sir. I’m planning to order Norma from Bruno’s and plenty of it. Then move to dies and a reamer. By the time JGS has it done, I should have the essential parts. Thanks for your help.
Keep us updated

Jester896

Senior Clown
I picked this part up today

IMG_0812.jpg

I chose the Diamond cut on the bolt

IMG_0817.jpg

not sure if you can see the extractor and ejector

IMG_0816.jpg

you may be able to see the hooded recoil lug cut in the front of the receiver...instead of three transitions it will only look like it has one

IMG_0815.jpg

that ejection port is pretty small...loads from the left side

IMG_0813.jpg

there is a hole in the bottom of the bolt shroud you can insert a pin punch in to release the tension and remove the firing pin...no special tool needed.

we made final decisions on the barrel and reamer today.

Kreiger Heavy Varmint profile (.925 at muzzle) in 1:7.5

We are going to use the Alpha reamer and brass with a .104 FB. That should let us shoot 105 Hybrid Bergers or 107 Sierras which ever we can find at the time...tight stuff.

he just got in the Curtis Action he ordered at the Rifle Expo...thy are up to 8 months now....this was a 2 day delivery since they are here in GA.

Dub

I picked this part up today

View attachment 1136892

I chose the Diamond cut on the bolt

View attachment 1136893

not sure if you can see the extractor and ejector

View attachment 1136895

you may be able to see the hooded recoil lug cut in the front of the receiver...instead of three transitions it will only look like it has one

View attachment 1136896

that ejection port is pretty small...loads from the left side

View attachment 1136897

there is a hole in the bottom of the bolt shroud you can insert a pin punch in to release the tension and remove the firing pin...no special tool needed.

we made final decisions on the barrel and reamer today.

Kreiger Heavy Varmint profile (.925 at muzzle) in 1:7.5

We are going to use the Alpha reamer and brass with a .104 FB. That should let us shoot 105 Hybrid Bergers or 107 Sierras which ever we can find at the time...tight stuff.

he just got in the Curtis Action he ordered at the Rifle Expo...thy are up to 8 months now....this was a 2 day delivery since they are here in GA.

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

:cheers: