6mm Remington (Model 7) Ammunition...

huckhgh

Good Morning Guys,

I know I should know this or be able to trust Google but I don't so I'm coming on here for some help. I have a 6mm Remington (Model 7) rifle that my dad gave me when I was 7 years old. I'm going to give it to my son next year but I am having a hard time acquiring ammunition for it, so here's my question:

Can I use the 6mm Creedmoor rounds in or any other varieties of 6mm or does it have to be 6mm Remington rounds?

Please remember that my son will be using this gun and I don't want to take any chances on safety. (Not that I would take a chance either but it's my son, so you know what I mean.)

Thanks in advance for the help/guidance!

Huck

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Good Morning Guys,

I know I should know this or be able to trust Google but I don't so I'm coming on here for some help. I have a 6mm Remington (Model 7) rifle that my dad gave me when I was 7 years old. I'm going to give it to my son next year but I am having a hard time acquiring ammunition for it, so here's my question:

Can I use the 6mm Creedmoor rounds in or any other varieties of 6mm or does it have to be 6mm Remington rounds?

Please remember that my son will be using this gun and I don't want to take any chances on safety. (Not that I would take a chance either but it's my son, so you know what I mean.)

Thanks in advance for the help/guidance!

Huck
Don't take the meme personally.
Whatever caliber that is stamped on the barrel is the only caliber that should ever and could ever be used in the rifle. All cartridges are not the same despite using bullets that are the same diameter.
You need 6mm Remington Ammo

huckhgh

Don't take the meme personally.
Whatever caliber that is stamped on the barrel is the only caliber that should ever and could ever be used in the rifle. All cartridges are not the same despite using bullets that are the same diameter.
You need 6mm Remington Ammo

That's what I thought and I appreciate you confirming it. I was hoping I could use one of the varieties because the 6mm Remington ammo is so hard to come by.

That is one of my favorite memes to use, so definitely no hard feelings! :)

If any of you guys come across any 6mm Remington ammo, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Huck

killerv

I had a m77 in 6mm remington, awesome round. But I wasnt reloading then and ammo was hard to find so I let it go.

You can try Howards Pawn out of Macon, he ships ammo and has had some odd ball stuff lately.

huckhgh

I had a m77 in 6mm remington, awesome round. But I wasnt reloading then and ammo was hard to find so I let it go.

You can try Howards Pawn out of Macon, he ships ammo and has had some odd ball stuff lately.

Thanks, I'll definitely reach out to them!

I bought some off Gunbroker but am looking for more.

Thanks again,

Huck

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Not that you will find any but you can use .244 Remington ammo in a 6mm Remington chambered rifle.
I didn't want to add to any misunderstanding.

7mm Express/.280
.244 Rem/6mm
Parent cartridges in Ackley chambers
Etc etc

Jester896

Senior Clown
Short answer is no
6mm is a long action round and 6mm Needmoor is a short action round so is .243 Winchester
you need to shoot what is stamped on the barrel in it

sghoghunter

That's what I thought and I appreciate you confirming it. I was hoping I could use one of the varieties because the 6mm Remington ammo is so hard to come by.

That is one of my favorite memes to use, so definitely no hard feelings! :)

If any of you guys come across any 6mm Remington ammo, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Huck

I happen to know where some 6mm ammo is. Find me some 7-08 and we can work out a deal

sghoghunter

Short answer is no
6mm is a long action round and 6mm Needmoor is a short action round so is .243 Winchester
you need to shoot what is stamped on the barrel in it

Not disagreeing on what you said but I’m almost 99% sure the rem 722 in 6mm I had was short action

Jester896

Senior Clown
Not disagreeing on what you said but I’m almost 99% sure the rem 722 in 6mm I had was short action

I think factory 700s were short action but they limited you to lighter bullets and normal seating depths. Others were L/A and it would work with heavier bullets and longer COAL..if I remember right. My rememberer doesn't work like it used to :D

I don't know if the Seven was S/A

Last edited:

pacecars

They also chambered the .257 Robert’s in a short action