6mm Remington (Model 7) Ammunition...

pacecars

I had a 722 in .244 Remington and it was an anomaly and shot the 100 gr bullets well

It’s a hard caliber to find ammo for. You’re really better off reloading for it. I have a model 7 in 6mm as well and it likes 100 grain Sierra pro hunters. Probably the best tree stand rifle I’ve ever owned.

WaltL1

Good Morning Guys,

I know I should know this or be able to trust Google but I don't so I'm coming on here for some help. I have a 6mm Remington (Model 7) rifle that my dad gave me when I was 7 years old. I'm going to give it to my son next year but I am having a hard time acquiring ammunition for it, so here's my question:

Can I use the 6mm Creedmoor rounds in or any other varieties of 6mm or does it have to be 6mm Remington rounds?

Please remember that my son will be using this gun and I don't want to take any chances on safety. (Not that I would take a chance either but it's my son, so you know what I mean.)

Thanks in advance for the help/guidance!

Huck
Looks like Midway carries it but is Out Of Stock. If you have an account they can notify you when/if it comes in.
6mm remington ammunition - MidwayUSA

marlin

If you reload and can find brass I may have some 90gr accubonds on the market shortly. If I can’t get my gun to group any better with them I will have at least 100 bullet’s.

huckhgh

Not that you will find any but you can use .244 Remington ammo in a 6mm Remington chambered rifle.

That's great to know because I've seen more of the .244 Remington than the 6mm Remington. Thanks for the help!

Huck

huckhgh

I happen to know where some 6mm ammo is. Find me some 7-08 and we can work out a deal

Awesome! I setup "in-stock alerts" for 7-08 rounds so hopefully we can do some wheeling & dealing. Haha

How many rounds of 6mm do you know the location of? Haha

Thanks,

Huck

huckhgh

Awesome! I setup "in-stock alerts" for 7-08 rounds so hopefully we can do some wheeling & dealing. Haha

How many rounds of 6mm do you know the location of? Haha

Thanks,

Huck

SGHOTHunter,

It looks like Gunbroker has lots of the 7-08 rounds. How many do you need to get me some of the 6mm rounds that you know the location of?

Thanks,

Huck

huckhgh

It’s a hard caliber to find ammo for. You’re really better off reloading for it. I have a model 7 in 6mm as well and it likes 100 grain Sierra pro hunters. Probably the best tree stand rifle I’ve ever owned.

I would love to get into reloading but don't currently have the time. My son plays travel baseball and my daughter does competitive gymnastics, so I'm pretty tied up for the next 13 years! Haha

Would you be willing to sell some of your rounds?

If so, send me a message but if not, no hard feelings and best of luck!

Thanks,

Huck

BriarPatch99

Yes sir I had a heck of a time with that thing but I sold it back last year to someone on here that had more time and patience than me. I really wish I would have kept it now

I wondered what you ever did with that rifle ....too bad we didn't have more suitable bullets to work with ...

That thing had one the slowest 1-12" twist I ever saw ....

BriarPatch99

6mm Remington is really a mid length action round ... it is too long to work as it needs to be used(I know there are a lot of short action rifle out in 6mmRem) ....that still doesn't make it ideal ... it is a "get by" because nobody makes mid lengths action much any more ....

The 6mm(.244) Remington is nothing more than a 7mm Mauser brass neck to 6mm ... and guess what the 7 mm Mauser was chambered in a mid length action ...

Matter of fact I sized a 7mm Mauser brass into 6mm Remington just yesterday .... as I did for SGahoghunter when we were trying to get his rifle to shoot worth while...

sghoghunter

I wondered what you ever did with that rifle ....too bad we didn't have more suitable bullets to work with ...

That thing had one the slowest 1-12" twist I ever saw ....

Yes sir I thought about keeping it but didn’t have the time or money to spend on it knowing that I couldn’t hunt with such a small grain bullet that it needed.

bullgator

That's great to know because I've seen more of the .244 Remington than the 6mm Remington. Thanks for the help!

Huck
Make sure it’s 244.......NOT 243!

35 Whelen

Last time I was at Appalachian Gun, Pawn, Range in Jasper they had 6mm Remington. May try calling to see if it is still in stock.

Appalachian Gun, Pawn, Range & Training
140 Shelby Lane
Jasper, GA 30143

Phone: (706) 253-1911