Acl surgery

hopper

My Daughters been battling with a "minor acl tear" according to the MRI. She's gone through PT and does her exercises in the morning. She's had a few set backs. This has been going on foe over a yr. Tonight she was going through her sword form for Battle of Atl competition and it popped again. Needles to say she's not competing. Pour kids been training for months. Going to another orthopedic this week to discuss surgery since this isn't healing. She's scared to death of surgery. Any of yall had an acl surgery and returned to a sport or strenuous job?

paulito

Not ACL, but tore my meniscus and cartilage in college playing soccer. Doctor said no surgery needed. lived with it for years then went to a new ortho years later as the pain just got to much. Not all the time but if it moved or twisted the right way it would drop me. MRI showed they should go in via scope and fix some things. Sure wished i hadn't waited until well into adult life to have it done. The knee is strong as ever and no pain anymore.

A kid on my boy's soccer team this year tore his PCL? Doctor said the same as for your daughter. No surgery just PT. He's been cleared to train and play again but to my untrained eye he still isn't walking right. You can tell it bothers him. I'm never one to "push" for surgery but the knee is such a flawed joint to begin with, i've never seen much improvement without going in and repairing things.

Just my two cents.

paulito

Forgot, with the scope procedure I walked out of surgery and was moving around "normally" in a week of less. Cleared for normal duty in 4-6 week if i recall correctly.

hopper

Forgot, with the scope procedure I walked out of surgery and was moving around "normally" in a week of less. Cleared for normal duty in 4-6 week if i recall correctly.
Thanks. The pt just isn't working. It got better but she keeps having set backs. Glad we waited and at least tried the no surgery route 1st. Called Resurgens Ortho and set up a consultation for next week. Thanks again for the feed back and glad to to here your surgery was a success.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I had one on my right knee in June 2006. Went back to climbing poles in my job as a lineman in late October that same year. Had the same surgery on the same knee in September 2009. Went back to work doing the same thing in January 2010. Had the same surgery on the same knee in September 2010. Tried to go back to work in January 2011 and couldn`t do and had to retire. It still gives me some trouble to this day.

GeorgiaBob

I had an ACL "repair" in the late 1970s, when I was playing semipro rugby, and was back on the pitch six weeks later. I really, really should have waited about three months. That repair did hold up but the loss of muscle mass and endurance, during the two months I was mostly off the leg, meant I suffered several other nagging leg injuries in the following year.

I also (two decades later) had a total knee replacement. Just six months after the surgery I started a two month long solo sail that included a trip down the Great Lakes, St Lawrence River, Gulf of St Lawrence, and sailing alone 1,100 miles from Newfoundland to Buford, NC. My new knee was not a problem at any time even through a full gale and 25' seas.

Please tell your daughter that the worst part of modern knee surgery is the initial pain during the first days of rehab. Everything else is a piece of cake. If the surgery is successful, she will have the opportunity, through diligent rehab work, to rebuild her knee to 100% of the pre injury function.

Ugahunter2013

I had UCL surgery (Tommy John) when I was in college playing baseball. I have always been told it is the acl of the arm. We didn’t try rehab prior because there was nothing to rehab, I needed surgery. I will say I was nervous, but it worked out great and in the 20 years since I have never had any issues. I was extremely fortunate to get the best Dr/Surgeon in the world to perform my surgery in Dr James Andrews….so that probably has something to do with how great it went, but if I were her I would have that acl fixed surgically immediately.

hopper

I had UCL surgery (Tommy John) when I was in college playing baseball. I have always been told it is the acl of the arm. We didn’t try rehab prior because there was nothing to rehab, I needed surgery. I will say I was nervous, but it worked out great and in the 20 years since I have never had any issues. I was extremely fortunate to get the best Dr/Surgeon in the world to perform my surgery in Dr James Andrews….so that probably has something to do with how great it went, but if I were her I would have that acl fixed surgically immediately.
Thank you. We have an appointment with a surgeon on Monday. I think the the shock of surgery has settled and she is exited to get back to her sport.

1john4:4

Please tell your daughter that the worst part of modern knee surgery is the initial pain during the first days of rehab. Everything else is a piece of cake. If the surgery is successful, she will have the opportunity, through diligent rehab work, to rebuild her knee to 100% of the pre injury function.
My daughter just had ACL surgery in April. Complete tear and the surgeon used a tendon from her thigh to replace the torn ligament. As GeorgiaBob said, the worst part is right after surgery. A week after surgery and she was wanting to walk without the brace. Never finished all of her pain meds. She is now starting to build up the muscle loss in her quad muscle.

She has verbally committed to play D1 softball, and her PT is working her very hard. From what I was told, recovery is all about mindset and hard work. She is hard headed like me so it might not be a curse after all. Hope all goes well Hopper!

hopper

My daughter just had ACL surgery in April. Complete tear and the surgeon used a tendon from her thigh to replace the torn ligament. As GeorgiaBob said, the worst part is right after surgery. A week after surgery and she was wanting to walk without the brace. Never finished all of her pain meds. She is now starting to build up the muscle loss in her quad muscle.

She has verbally committed to play D1 softball, and her PT is working her very hard. From what I was told, recovery is all about mindset and hard work. She is hard headed like me so it might not be a curse after all. Hope all goes well Hopper!
Thank you so much. I'm going to share this with my daughter. MRI set for Friday. We met with a great surgeon yesterday. Your daughter sounds like mine very dedicated and hard working. The hardest part has been watching her not be able to give it all she wants to her sport. Prayers out to your daughter for a full recovery.