Advice on scope mounts

mizuno24jad

Got a new rifle that has the pictanny rail for scope, just bought a scope with a 30mm tube and 50mm objective. It’s my first 50mm scope, what height scope mounts with the pictanny rail will I need?

Dub

Often the scope manufacturers will have a suggested fit matrix on their web sights.....same with the better quality ring/mount manufacturers.

The type of rifle & style of shooting can influence how you want to mount it, too.

Crouching over a shooting rail....vs sitting more upright from a bench, etc.

Sporter weight classic hunting rifle = perhaps somewhat low & close to the barrel.......target rifle with adjustable cheek rest = perhaps a bit higher will ensure comfort, alignment and ample clearance to cycle the bolt dozens of times per session.

A phone call to the fine folks at Talley or Nightforce can get you dialed in and you can order right then.

Gator89

Without a rail, "high" rings are needed for a 50 mm.

Since you are mounting on a rail, medium rings should work.

bighonkinjeep

Depends on the rail and the scope. They both come in different sizes and lengths. Some rails are longer with more overhang on the front and or rear. On some the scope bell will hit the front or rear of the rail or the power adjustment may make contact unless high are used or the rail is modified. On others mediums will work just fine keeping the scope closer to the axis of the bore. Hate to say it but its going to be trial and error with your particular setup to know whats going to work best for you. I prefer mediums unless its an AR with no drop at the comb and if I have to use high I always seem to need a comb riser ( except on ARs) when I do for proper cheek weld. While by the number of slots on a rail one might think they are more versitile, I've often found them to be limiting of my scope and ring options.
Good luck

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have extra low rings on several rifles with 50 & 56mm bells. It depends on the setup of it all.

one way to take some of the guesswork out of it is to stack nickles or quarters on the rail and set the scope on top of them to check for clearance. Measure the stack and get rings to match that height. Some rings are measured to the bottom of the tube and some are measured to the center of the tube.

don't forget to check if the bolt will lift properly at the height it clears the rifle as well.

The extra slots on the rail will allow for a more stable spread of the rings and give you more latitude on positioning the rings to achieve that

mizuno24jad

I have extra low rings on several rifles with 50 & 56mm bells. It depends on the setup of it all.

one way to take some of the guesswork out of it is to stack nickles or quarters on the rail and set the scope on top of them to check for clearance. Measure the stack and get rings to match that height. Some rings are measured to the bottom of the tube and some are measured to the center of the tube.

don't forget to check if the bolt will lift properly at the height it clears the rifle as well.

The extra slots on the rail will allow for a more stable spread of the rings and give you more latitude on positioning the rings to achieve that
thanks, the coins are a good idea

Dub

@mizuno24jad , which rifle, base rail and scope did you buy?

That may help folks better offer suggestions.

Heck, so many shooters here….someone may have used that exact combination.

Dub

That is going to be one seriously capable rifle. (y)

I wouldn't hesitate to give Leupold customer service a call and get their advice, too.

You may well be surprised that you'll use much lower rings than some people are going to tell you on here....they will say to go with "high", however, they may not be considering the pic rail you'll be using for a base.

See the insight above from @Jester896
The picatinny rails really make it a different game than traditional mount/ring combos.

I know I was really surprised when I was looking into that same thing.

I used these to mount this Burris on this Ruger:

Huge clearance. Plenty of room to mount it much lower, had I wanted to. Mediums or even Low would have likely worked.

I am certain the people at Mile High Shooting can put you on the desired rings.

Great folks to work with, too. (y)

Then, there is always Leupold....I couldn't find their "ring chart" on their page...at least not one that mates up rings to pic rails.

Leupold contact:​

HOURS OF OPERATION​

TECH SERVICES7AM – 4:30PM PSTMONDAY – FRIDAY
CUSTOMER SERVICES7AM – 3:30PM PSTMONDAY – FRIDAY
1-800-LEUPOLD14400 NW GREENBRIER PKWY, BEAVERTON, OR 97006

mizuno24jad

That is going to be one seriously capable rifle. (y)

I wouldn't hesitate to give Leupold customer service a call and get their advice, too.

You may well be surprised that you'll use much lower rings than some people are going to tell you on here....they will say to go with "high", however, they may not be considering the pic rail you'll be using for a base.

See the insight above from @Jester896
The picatinny rails really make it a different game than traditional mount/ring combos.

I know I was really surprised when I was looking into that same thing.

I used these to mount this Burris on this Ruger:

Huge clearance. Plenty of room to mount it much lower, had I wanted to. Mediums or even Low would have likely worked.

I am certain the people at Mile High Shooting can put you on the desired rings.

Great folks to work with, too. (y)

Then, there is always Leupold....I couldn't find their "ring chart" on their page...at least not one that mates up rings to pic rails.

Leupold contact:​

HOURS OF OPERATION​

TECH SERVICES7AM – 4:30PM PSTMONDAY – FRIDAY
CUSTOMER SERVICES7AM – 3:30PM PSTMONDAY – FRIDAY
1-800-LEUPOLD14400 NW GREENBRIER PKWY, BEAVERTON, OR 97006
Thanks for all the info very helpful

Reactions: Dub

bighonkinjeep

If the rail came new with the rifle from Savage its most likely an EGW and they're pretty thick ( which sets em up pretty high to start with) and long. likely to contact the scope bell and limit fore and aft movement as you try to adjust for eye relief. I have several for both round
and flatback actions. Not my favorite mounting option.
Just my .02 but youve already spent the cash on a very nice setup, my personal preference on a hunting rig would be to switch out the supplied rail for a set of Leupold or Burris dual dovetail bases and rings in Medium height. Absolutely rock solid set it forget it, comparatively light and snag free with that classic clean look. Also as a 2 piece setup they will provide much better clearance and acess to the ejection port for single loading, cleaning and maintenance. Here are some pics to see the differences in clearances between EGW Rails with Leupold PRW rings and Leupold dual dovetails. Note how close the bells are to the rails. This is what limits fore and aft adjustment. Also note ejection port acess with the 2 piece DDs.
Hope this helps. Good Luck

Attachments

• IMG_20161024_205929~5.jpg
    IMG_20161024_205929~5.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20190226_164744.jpg
    IMG_20190226_164744.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220924_111306~2.jpg
    20220924_111306~2.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

01Foreman400

Staff member
All of my picatinny setups use low Seekins rings. I’ve even got a 56mm mounted on one of them with the low rings.

Reactions: Dub

JeffinPTC

I pulled out 2 guns w pic rails. The Savage 111 has Leupold QRW detachable rings. IDK which height I used, but notice the relationship of the bell on the 2.5-10x56 Trijicon to the front of the rail. Rings look too high, but you need to allow for the fore/aft movement of the scope to adjust eye relief. Also can't remember the brand etc of the rail.
Savage 111 left.jpgSavage 111 right.jpg
The MR556 has a Leupold IMS2 rail, I think. Notice how close the scope electronics get to the rail. Maybe not much help, but hope it gives you ideas.MR556 x2.jpg