Alaska Cruise

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
We are looking at going to Alaska for a cruise, maybe in June. Who should I sail with, flights, and what should I not miss on this trip?

thanks, Pappy

dslc6487

We sailed with Holland Ameirca......this was back in 2008.......great cruise experience.....we went all the way up to Prudoe Bay......great service....

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
We are looking at going to Alaska for a cruise, maybe in June. Who should I sail with, flights, and what should I not miss on this trip?

thanks, Pappy
We have an Alaskan cruise booked with Holland in June as well.

Buford_Dawg

We leave July 9th for 10 days with Princess cruise lines, 3 days on land and 7 on cruise. Can't wait. Princess is the largest cruise line in Alaska. We were down to Holland and Princess, finally flipped a coin, LOL..... My Princess phone app tells me 83 days.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
We were gonna fly to Fairbanks and go from there, but I`m thinking now about driving instead of flying. Why not? We want to see the country, we`re both retired and have no bosses nor timelines. We can do as we please, with no set schedule.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
We were gonna fly to Fairbanks and go from there, but I`m thinking now about driving instead of flying. Why not? We want to see the country, we`re both retired and have no bosses nor timelines. We can do as we please, with no set schedule.
Nic, you can do both easily if you like. You can drive cross country to Washington. There you can catch a ferry and save considerable time driving the ALCAN. Have them drop you in Sewart or Anchorage. Drive yourself to Fairbanks or wherever else you want to go.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Nic, you can do both easily if you like. You can drive cross country to Washington. There you can catch a ferry and save considerable time driving the ALCAN. Have them drop you in Sewart or Anchorage. Drive yourself to Fairbanks or wherever else you want to go.

That`s an idea I will check out. Thanks, Bob!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
That`s an idea I will check out. Thanks, Bob!
It’s not quite as luxury as the big cruise ships but it gets you and your vehicle there. Lots of military folks use this option.

AceOfTheBase

If I was going today, it would be on Holland line,.
Did a northbound inland passage in 2019 on Princess and was not impressed.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
We just got back from a Caribbean cruise with Norwegian. It was a nice ship ( Jade ) and the crew was excellent

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I have never been on a cruise, so maybe i shouldn’t participate in this thread. That said, i spend a lot of time around the port city of KTN. I have talked to lots of people on cruises. If i was to take an Alaskan cruise i would look at the National Geographic Expedition Cruise. The folks on these cruises are “outdoorsy” and seem like they are very happy compared to the folks on the big ships. The boat i have seen is much smaller than a traditional cruise ship. They go places where the others boats cant go, the crew includes biologists, historians and naturalists. Like i said i have not personally been on a cruise, but spend about 45 days a year in and around the Misty Fjords and although every year i see more and more boats in remote locations, we still go many days without seeing another human or boat. One of the few boats that we do see is the NG boat. Those folks have access to small boats - zodiac powered boats, and kayaks. I don’t know if they let you fish while on those cruises, but you are definitely in world class fishing locations. They overnight in some pretty beautiful spots. Like i said, i have not been on one but you might want check it out.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

thanks, Pappy

I listen to Bill Gaithers gospel channel. They do a singing cruise to Alaska.

Gator89

We just got back from a Caribbean cruise with Norwegian. It was a nice ship ( Jade ) and the crew was excellent

NCL is the company that hosts the Outlaw Country Cruise. The Pearl has been used for the first 8 OCC's. But the Jade is hosting next year as the Pearl is going into dry dock for maintenance.

Along with my wife and some friends, we did an Alaska cruise on Holland America. Holland was much more formal than NCL.

Holland recommended dressing for dinner, sport coat, pants, etc.

On the NCL cruises I dress in shorts, T shirts and Crocs, don't even pack socks. But being a floating music festival may lead to a relaxation of dress standards.

Last edited:

Deerhead

We are booked on Princes leaving Vancouver on June 8th. We are taking the train from Anchorage to Denali then flying out of Fairbanks.

bass4fun