Altamaha River Report 5-4-22

Nimrod71

I have fished the Altamaha 3 times in the last week, and it is dropping fast, it has fallen 2 ft. since Monday. Today's trip was fair, I did catch enough for a small fish fry, 15 fish. I was surprised at the number of big bream I caught fishing in fast deep water. I caught a flat head that weighted in at 2.4 lb. my largest fish, two channel cats about a pound a piece, the bream were from big hand size up to plate size. I was fishing with pinks and crickets. I caught most of the fish on crickets fishing on the bottom.

I talked with four other fishermen on the river and they were having about the same results as I was, fish few and far between. You just had to move, pick up a couple and move on.

I expect the river to continue falling and fishing will be hit and miss until it levels off. I will be back on the river Friday morning. Next week I am planning a trip to Morgan's Lake the river level should be right by then.

Remember to take a Kid fishing, now get up and go, you'll have fun.

Nimrod71

No Crickets in Toombs Co. I just got back from a cricket hunt. I have planned a fishing trip to the river in the morning and I thought I'd pick up a few more crickets, I went to every bait dealer i knew of and all were out of bait, some were even out of worms too. One bait shop sold over 25,000 crickets Saturday and Monday. I hope they bite worms, I got 3 ciups of pinks.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Went to the Satilla today near Atkinson GA ... no crickets down that way either ... picked up 24:... mixture Redbreast, Bream, Stumpknockers, Crappie ...most on Beatle spins and Itsy bitsy lures ...Crawfish color ...
I’ve got a trip in the planning with your neighbor , he told me if I wanted to use crickets I better bring some from Lagrange . He’s been doing pretty good with the little Satilla spins , whatever that is

BriarPatch99

I’ve got a trip in the planning with your neighbor , he told me if I wanted to use crickets I better bring some from Lagrange . He’s been doing pretty good with the little Satilla spins , whatever that is

Satilla Spins are made by a DNR guy down near Waycross GA ...
Easy place to get them is Winges on US#1 in downtown Waycross ...(440 Memorial Dr.)

Crickets are like hen's teeth .... Beetle spins and Isty lures in crawfish work well too.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Satilla Spins have been doing good for me. Nice quality lure. I’ll bounce and crawls crawfish colored lure thru the beds. Bream just can’t let it pass by messing around with the beds

GTMODawg

BANNED
A cricket shortage is the straw that broke the camel's back. Americans have proven resilient over our history and easily adapt to change but dadgummit walking into a proper bait shop and buying a tube of crickets is a basic human right that can not be infringed upon. The powers that be do not have a clue how wreckless they are behaving in creating a situation where a man can't get a fat cricket with a big enough belly that it can be flatlined in Georgia in May....they better hope there is a shortage on tar, feathers and rails upon which they can be run out of town the scoundrels. Cricket shortage.....lesser things have started world wars!