Animal Identification

Grizzly45

I have a question. I just went to my backyard and saw a small animal take off towards my creek, after I spooked it. It was slightly smaller than a beaver and had a furry tail. Its body structure was similar to a beaver and low to the ground. I thought maybe a groundhog but I live in the southwest corner of coweta and it looked 2x the size of a groundhog. Any ideas on what it might be. I will put out a trail cam and see if I can picture it.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Gotta be it then!
Thanks!
I didnt think they were this far south and according to wikipedia they arent. But they say no water moccasins north of I20 and theres no cougars in GA also. LOL! Thanks again for your 1st hand knowledge.
I did think it was odd.
But when I mentioned it to my fishing buddy several years later he said he had seen them right there too.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Getting to be a few groundhogs around Troup co . I’ve seen several in Heard also .
Took this picture in downtown Hogansville a couple years ago IMG_5151.jpeg

Philbow

Nutria and muskrats don't have furry tails. Was the tail short (ground hog) or longer?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I've seen them at west point lake.
Our farm is about as far as you can be from West Point lake and still be in troup county.
A couple of years ago a ground hog was road killed right by the Mailbox. Haven’t heard of any more being on that side of the county but yeah I’ve seen several around the lake

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I did think it was odd.
But when I mentioned it to my fishing buddy several years later he said he had seen them right there too.
They used to have a bunch of tunnels in the kudzu patches around the Boy Scout camp/antioch rd area

Latest posts