Another lost property thread

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
In 50 years of deer hunting I have hunted many different tracts of land. Public land, private land, leased land, family land, and personally owned land.

I usually keep access to a few different tracts since I know access and leases come and go with life situations. The tract I just lost access to was one of my favorites in all my years of hunting. It was a private family farm that was owned by a group of siblings one of which was a good friend and former co-worker. The location was one of the greatest things about the tract. It was literally along my drive to and from work. I could go by there and hunt, scout, work, etc. even if I only had an hour or less time. I could leave my tractor or 4 wheeler there for weeks at a time without worry.

The deer hunting was unbelievable as well. It was one of those places that you almost always saw deer. Sometimes 10 or more at a sitting. My son, grandsons, and I got several good bucks in the 10 years we were fortunate to have access to the tract.

But things change and the family decided to sell the property. My friend told me of the decision to sell early in the season. The property sold the same day it went on the market. They had to remove all items by years end when they closed on the sale. I had 5 stands to remove.

The property is now up for sale again in small mini-farm tracts. It was a fantastic all around tract that I will miss greatly. This isnt a whining thread, I cant blame the folks for selling and am very grateful for the permission to hunt for 10 years.

Gaswamp

sad to hear....I never understand why someone in a family doesn't want to keep the land...maybe too complicated

rance56

It’s easy. One or all need or could really use the money from the sell

Hate to hear the news. It sucks when it happens

sghoghunter

sad to hear....I never understand why someone in a family doesn't want to keep the land...maybe too complicated[/When it comes to money and family they mix almost as good as gas and water. My mother found that out the hard way when she sold my grandmothers house and land with three brothers involved.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
sad to hear....I never understand why someone in a family doesn't want to keep the land...maybe too complicated

I can tell you why. Want to buy some valuable farm land in South Georgia?:biggrin2:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
always hate to hear it :( Like you I understand it, but doesnt make it any easier

PappyHoel

In 50 years of deer hunting I have hunted many different tracts of land. Public land, private land, leased land, family land, and personally owned land.

I usually keep access to a few different tracts since I know access and leases come and go with life situations. The tract I just lost access to was one of my favorites in all my years of hunting. It was a private family farm that was owned by a group of siblings one of which was a good friend and former co-worker. The location was one of the greatest things about the tract. It was literally along my drive to and from work. I could go by there and hunt, scout, work, etc. even if I only had an hour or less time. I could leave my tractor or 4 wheeler there for weeks at a time without worry.

The deer hunting was unbelievable as well. It was one of those places that you almost always saw deer. Sometimes 10 or more at a sitting. My son, grandsons, and I got several good bucks in the 10 years we were fortunate to have access to the tract.

But things change and the family decided to sell the property. My friend told me of the decision to sell early in the season. The property sold the same day it went on the market. They had to remove all items by years end when they closed on the sale. I had 5 stands to remove.

The property is now up for sale again in small mini-farm tracts. It was a fantastic all around tract that I will miss greatly. This isnt a whining thread, I cant blame the folks for selling and am very grateful for the permission to hunt for 10 years.

Are you in a position to buy a couple of those tracts? Our hunt club sold and we dont know what hes going to do with it. My hope is that he sells it off in chunks. The deer hunting sucks, but the land is beautiful. I would love to build a house on some of it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like they sold it too cheap.

Maybe so but they got asking price plus realtor fees for it.

Are you in a position to buy a couple of those tracts? Our hunt club sold and we dont know what hes going to do with it. My hope is that he sells it off in chunks. The deer hunting sucks, but the land is beautiful. I would love to build a house on some of it.

No I don’t really need it at my age. Don’t plan to build again. I own a few acres in another county.

Jim Boyd

So sorry to hear that, Milkman.

You are right - keeping multiple farms is an excellent strategy.

Good luck on the other tracts, my friend.

turkeykirk

With the economy picking up this is going to happen to a lot of people. A lot of land for sale now at high prices. 2000+ acres near me (some I hunt on) is up for sale. It’s probably gonna go for subdivisions, commercial, etc. Can’t do anything about it unless I win the lottery soon.:biggrin2:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
It's news we hate to hear. I've been through this at least 4 times, and it's really disappointing. Some of the land I've hunted for well over 20 years. Land I grew up hunting on. I still think of those beautiful areas I used to hunt. Those particular trees I used to climb. The enjoyable walks I had to and from the stand. Ah, man, the memories! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Best of luck finding some much better land to make new memories on, Milkman.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I hate to hear that. I have been through it a couple of time. Lostone tract when I was teenager I started hunting when I around 4 with my dad. Its a subdivision now and still has an old permanent stand we built in some pines in the front yard of a house

Big7

The Oracle
I can tell you why. Want to buy some valuable farm land in South Georgia?:biggrin2:

Or.. Yo' Mama and Uncle sells the farm before your Daddy
is in the ground good. :banginghe

Milkman, this happened to me also.
My Daddy was born on the kitchen table in that old farm house. (still there)

Been in the family for at least 80 years.
Mama didn't want the hassle and my Uncle needed the money.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

any number of reasons, some places the taxes become too much for the persons life situation. friend of mines land taxes tripled after an industry moved nearby.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
All the siblings in the land sale in the OP are age 60 or over. It just made more sense for them to divide cash than try to divide or keep the land.

buckmanmike

When my grandfather died 45 years ago, my father and his sister each inherited half the land. Both my father and aunt have been past for 20 years. My aunts children sold all of thier land. Me and my brothers have held on to my fathers land. I love the land and hope we can hold onto it for future generations. Land pays for itself, in fact we make a little off it, plus the pleasure off hunting, fishing and just being able to go "walk" your land. Great feeling.

D

Deleted member 35556

If this is in Oconee, would you mind PMing me the listing/contact information? Looking for property in Oconee to live on. Thanks in advance.

Longhorn 16

What happens to items / property left on land. I bought some property and the guys that had the lease have only removed a couple items. They left behind stands, wood box blinds, grills, travel trailers, utility trailers, etc.

Anyone know the legal aspect of these belongings after the time to retrieve them expires?