Anybody thinking about going back to lead shot

cowhornedspike

Using lead because you want to is fine but claiming cost to be the reason just doesn't add up. Shells are barely a drop in the bucket of my turkey hunting costs.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Using lead because you want to is fine but claiming cost to be the reason just doesn't add up. Shells are barely a drop in the bucket of my turkey hunting costs.

Agree.....it takes a full tank of gas in the F150 to get to and from the lease....add in all the other expenses and the incremental cost of shells seem like a minor expense.

I didn't even know this many folks even used lead anymore. :D

Me either.

I want every advantage possible when it comes to turkeys. A great season will consist of exactly 3 shots. It costs more in gas for one round trip to my lease than it does to buy a box of 5 hi-density shot.

This.

goblr77

HTL will have to get much more expensive than it is now for me to revert back to lead.

nhancedsvt

Banned
The thought of going to lead hasn't even crossed my mind.

Buford_Dawg

Well...

I still use the Win Hi Velocity #6s when using my 870 12 guage, but when it comes to the 20 guage 870, 11-87 and Franchi Affinity that we shoot, it is all Fed Heavy's #7 and I will most certainly never go back to lead. It amazes me to this day, what those 20 guages will do with the Fed Heavy. And boy are they much easier to tote thru the woods, especially when the birds are not singing and you are on the move trying to locate them.

Brianf

HTL will have to get much more expensive than it is now for me to revert back to lead.

Lets say the HTL shells are $7 a shell. That is 3 dead gobblers and 2 checking pattern. If $35 a season is going to cause a problem with my finances, I probably should not buy turkey shells at all.
Just my .02

deast1988

Just got my 3rd box of nitros at $9 and some change a shot. Ill pay it every day of the week for a dead bird. Plus HTL shot if I mess up on my distances it's a good comprimise for my inconsistencys at ranging objects in the turkey woods. I believe Remington marketed hevishot right adds up to 15yds to your range. That's when your stars are aligned with the perfect setup. If you don't want that extra yardage don't shoot it.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Just got my 3rd box of nitros at $9 and some change a shot. Ill pay it every day of the week for a dead bird. Plus HTL shot if I mess up on my distances it's a good comprimise for my inconsistencys at ranging objects in the turkey woods. I believe Remington marketed hevishot right adds up to 15yds to your range. That's when your stars are aligned with the perfect setup. If you don't want that extra yardage don't shoot it.

What all do you have?

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Still shoot lead, i bought a stock pile of it years ago. Been wanting to try some hevi's but until i run out of lead or atleast close to running out im not going to even try it cause i know i would love it!!

Wow!!!

I prob won't buy anymore shells for awhile... I've got to have at least 20-25 boxs of win hv #5's in my basement... I think I'm good...

The mtn man

I bowed out on the nitros this year, I am on the prowl for the next load that performs as good, and dont cost $100 for 10 rounds.You gotta admit, thats high.

BASS1FUN

Never stopped shooting lead, i've patterned other shells but lead has always paid off for me to 60 yards.

Killdee

I'd rather save money on not wearing out my old hips and bones toting them ole heavy 12 gauges. As long as I can get TSS from Hal I aint shooting no stinking lead.

WaltL1

Still shoot lead. Been working fine for years.

six

Lead for me. Until kill ratio's become a problem that's probably all I'll shoot. I know it's all I'll buy until then. And when kill ratio's start dropping off I'll probably invest in a new pair of glasses first. Then if that don't fix it I'll buy some different shells.

Latest posts