Anybody thinking about going back to lead shot

Chuck Morgan

Always used lead, I am sure the heavy stuff must be better from all I have heard. But I guess I am kind of stuck in my old school ways! To each their own, that is what makes it fun. Good luck to everybody this spring no matter which you shoot!

Gadget

Yeah, killed three with lead 7's in 20ga last season, killed some others with htl last year too though.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
$6.00 per shell comes to $150.00 per 25 box. That is just rediculous. Some folks will pay it and others would pay $10.00 if that is what a super bullet cost. Shoot what you want but let the stuff sit on a shelf and see how much it costs.

Steven Farr

I still have plenty of lead and shoot it regularly

Reminex

The real benefit is with 20 ga. Im glad I got on the 20 gauge train now! Makes a 30 yard gun into a 40 yard gun.

I bought a 10 round box of 12 gauge federal heavy #7 for $36.00 today. So I figured Id shoot some to see what it does.

shot today exactly three times...results=
3" #6 federal lead= 109 hits in 10"@40
3" #6 federal tungsten= 132 in 10"@40
3" #7 fedearl hvyweight=170 in 10"@40

(I have a bunch of the #6 tungsten I bought cheap 10 years ago, back when everyone thought it was a gimmick!
But very impressed with #7)

hotamighty

I have never used anything but lead. I can,t bring myself to pay 6 or 7 dollars per shot when a $1 winchester lead #6 will kill them just as dead at 50 yards.

jeffersonbigbuck

I'v killed alot of birds 50 plus yrds with lead #6's. Its all about what your gun likes. Now im very selective and let them get in close so I can stick em with the bow.

Curtis-UGA

I've drove the Lexus can't see going back to the Pinto!

Plus I hunt with a 20 gauge now. I can't get the performance I desire with lead out of that little pop gun.

Nannyman

I must say that the posts of folks using lead to 60yds borders on the "Criminal" regarding ethical shots. JMHO

John

cowhornedspike

I have never used anything but lead. I can,t bring myself to pay 6 or 7 dollars per shot when a $1 winchester lead #6 will kill them just as dead at 50 yards.

Sometimes...but there is no way you can know it will every time...the rest of the time I guess y'all can just say you "missed".

I'd hate to think I'd let 4 or 5 dollars stand between me and a dead turkey...or worse, a wounded one. It costs too much otherwise to even get to the point of taking the shot. The wrong thing to be cheap on is the cost of the shells.

born2hunt99

Those Federal flight control copper plated lead, 2 1/4oz of #6 work real good for me...in my 535 turkey tactical!!! The last one fell at 61 paces with that load.

Covehnter

I still consider my HTL shells one of the cheapest pieces of my turkey hunting puzzle. Performance worth the price.

hambone76

My gun and choke patterns my lead or heavyweight shot extremely well by a stroke of luck. Im not worried either way.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Lighter loads, lighter and smaller guns, with no sacrifice in lethality. For turkey hunting, I'd rather have $1200 worth of TSS and a $250 gun than a $1200 gun and $250 worth of lead shot.

Steven Farr

From reading the responses on here, one would assume that if you are shooting lead you are wounding turkeys and HTL kills em every time. The posse is after us boys, they are gonna round us lead shooters up for criminal acts

bearhunter39

Heavyweight in a 20,but still shooting lead #4s out of 12,in my opinion if i can't call in close enough to kill with either one of these setups then I don't deserve the turkey.

cowhornedspike

From reading the responses on here, one would assume that if you are shooting lead you are wounding turkeys and HTL kills em every time. The posse is after us boys, they are gonna round us lead shooters up for criminal acts

First of all, it is hard to justify EVER shooting at a turkey from 60yds with any shell, but if you are doing it with lead you ARE wounding (usually called a "miss") more than you are killing. Physics can't just be ignored.

I have no problem with anyone hunting with lead as long as shots are taken at proper ranges and the shooter knows what his gun/shell is capable of. Anyone bragging about killing them with lead at 60 is showing something about themselves that I wouldn't want folks to know if it were me.

Gadget

First of all, it is hard to justify EVER shooting at a turkey from 60yds with any shell, but if you are doing it with lead you ARE wounding (usually called a "miss") more than you are killing. Physics can't just be ignored.

I have no problem with anyone hunting with lead as long as shots are taken at proper ranges and the shooter knows what his gun/shell is capable of. Anyone bragging about killing them with lead at 60 is showing something about themselves that I wouldn't want folks to know if it were me.

Agreed!