AR for first deer rifle?

Tight Lines

Lot's of good info above...I went the AR route for both kids for a couple of reasons...

1. I don't like buying interim weapons other than their first .22s which were Crickets...youth models are not useful after a certain point...
2. The AR has the ability to have an ambi safety which I can see. I put red ambi safeties on them so I could see them in the stand...
3. The AR stock allows for LOP adjustment to a very small child...
4. In 5.56 / .223 there are plenty of hunting rounds that are very capable, and downstream they have a full size AR with plentiful ammo...

We've killed a pile of deer until my kids were able to use Tikka .243 and 6.5CM easily...

Nothing wrong with the other calibers, but 5.56 and .308 will always be the most plentiful and least expensive...

The only downside is it is loud, but we just wear noise suppression...

And now they have a full size deer rifle and an economical shooting AR...

krizia829

My 9 year old son loves to shoot and has expressed interest in deer hunting next year. Currently he shoots a savage rascal 22. My plan is to get him a rifle, get comfortable shooting it over the next few months and be ready to deer hunt next fall. Initially I was leaning to a savage or weatherby compact (youth) in 350 legend -both have adjustable length of pulls- but it's still just a bit long for him. I've deer hunted all my life but have little AR knowledge. What would you recommend between an AR in 300 blackout, 6.5 grendel, or 350 legend? Biggest point being most comfortable regarding recoil and noise to develop good shooting habits. Or, buy an inexpensive compact bolt and cut the stock down to needed lop?
Savage makes a bolt action that's made for women but it's a great fit for kids! It's the model 11 Lady Hunter.

It has a higher comb, shorter length of pull, grip is slimmer, adjustable AccuTrigger is easier to reach and it's wood.

Many great calibers available. I'd go with a .243. He will grow fast and it's a caliber that you can hunt anything in the south with.

Then once he outgrows it, it can be handed to his sister if he has one, or to his mom if she hunts. I've been wanting one for a long time but it's hard for me to put my Rem. 700 aside lol

transfixer

While I agree the AR gives many options on calibers with little recoil, and an adjustable stock for length of pull, I personally would rather start a youngster out on a bolt action or single shot, both for safety reasons and to stress the importance of making the first shot count . once they've proven to be safety conscience and making the first shot count then I might move them up to an AR , that's just my personal view, kids can get overly excited, which could cause safety issues/accidents

Tight Lines

While I agree the AR gives many options on calibers with little recoil, and an adjustable stock for length of pull, I personally would rather start a youngster out on a bolt action or single shot, both for safety reasons and to stress the importance of making the first shot count . once they've proven to be safety conscience and making the first shot count then I might move them up to an AR , that's just my personal view, kids can get overly excited, which could cause safety issues/accidents
To be clear, mine had thousands upon thousands of rounds in single shot .22s, lever actions, and other weapons, and at the trap, skeet, 5-stand, and sporting clays range along with tactical rifle training before ever getting behind the scope in a stand.

I for one did not go the route of letting my small children kill deer with a rifle in a lead sled. I subscribe to the logic that they need to understand what they are doing, and how to do it, on their own, before squeezing the trigger.

Not being critical of others, just my own POV.

FlipKing

I will say my next rifle set up for my kids will most likely be a sig cross. Same adjustability, same safety, etc but bolt. Also where ever you can, use a bog pod.

buckpasser

To be clear, mine had thousands upon thousands of rounds in single shot .22s, lever actions, and other weapons, and at the trap, skeet, 5-stand, and sporting clays range along with tactical rifle training before ever getting behind the scope in a stand.

I for one did not go the route of letting my small children kill deer with a rifle in a lead sled. I subscribe to the logic that they need to understand what they are doing, and how to do it, on their own, before squeezing the trigger.

Not being critical of others, just my own POV.

I like it. I made my kids “qualify” to be able to hunt as the shooter. They ended up being the shooter at least a year ahead of where I thought they would be able, but they had shot many a BB and .22 before attempting a larger rifle.

The qualifier was to hit a 50 yard target properly (tight group) out of the ground blind, on a chair, using only the window as a prop.

FlipKing

My kids can shoot and track. They understand guns and respect life. But they are small framed, so I give them advantages where I can.

Long Cut

CVA Scout in .243 or 6.5 Creedmoor gets my nod for a child’s first gun.

Affordable at ~$300-450 depending on configuration
Simple to operate
Extremely compact
Relatively lightweight at 7#

For the price tag, they’re “the best” budget oriented deer rifle in my opinion. The triggers are phenomenal and they’re extremely accurate. I was averaging 1” 5-shot groups at 100 yards with my hand loads.

My .02
IMG_9529.jpeg

o2bfishin

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Several have recommended youth bolt guns and that was my initial preference as well, the issue is the shortest LOP is 12.25 (Vanguard compact) and it's still too long for him. That is what lead me down the AR inquiry not knowing much about them other than the LOP would fit and they come in a couple of calibers good for deer. Basically I'm down to the AR, probably suppressed as suggested or a fixed stock compact I can cut down to 11 LOP that he will likely only use a year or two. Lots of great info and I appreciate it.

Tight Lines

I like it. I made my kids “qualify” to be able to hunt as the shooter. They ended up being the shooter at least a year ahead of where I thought they would be able, but they had shot many a BB and .22 before attempting a larger rifle.

The qualifier was to hit a 50 yard target properly (tight group) out of the ground blind, on a chair, using only the window as a prop.
Yeah same...mine were shooting standing .22s at 50 yards, and ARs prone out to 300-400 yards before deer hunting. Deer rifles at 100-200 off a bench, and then targets from a ground blind on their own.

So far, they haven't whiffed...other than the first 2 shots my son took early on with my rifle which he could not handle but wanted to try...clean misses both... :)

ChidJ

@o2bfishin If you put in a for a suppressor now, it will be ready by next season.

An AR is fine but as you said you'd prefer a bolt gun, there are many bolt actions that take an AR stock or can be made to and can be adjusted just as short. One that comes to mind that might be kid friendly and comes in a "mini action" might be the CZ Trail. One of the older model Mossberg MVPs would work too

<CZ link, not sure why it says "stackpath"

But really, do yourself a favor and get a suppressor

kayaksteve

I’m a big fan of starting kids or people in general on single shots. It’s safe, accurate and very simple to operate in the moment. I wouldn’t mind finding one for myself sometime.

Dub

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Several have recommended youth bolt guns and that was my initial preference as well, the issue is the shortest LOP is 12.25 (Vanguard compact) and it's still too long for him. That is what lead me down the AR inquiry not knowing much about them other than the LOP would fit and they come in a couple of calibers good for deer. Basically I'm down to the AR, probably suppressed as suggested or a fixed stock compact I can cut down to 11 LOP that he will likely only use a year or two. Lots of great info and I appreciate it.

Was looking around.....figured for sure this one would be a good option, but, it only gets down to 11".

Image 52.jpeg

o2bfishin

Was looking around.....figured for sure this one would be a good option, but, it only gets down to 11".

View attachment 1272889

I've looked at that one and thought it was 12-13. Tried out an AR today in 300 blackout and it fit him perfectly. Just want a little more oomph. Bear Creek has a right side pull 6.5 in stock, I'm about to get it on the way

B. White

My opinion doesn't mean much, but I like the extra few hundred lbs of energy from a Grendel vs blackout. I have a blackout, but haven't had much desire to hunt with it if I can use the Grendel. Deer are not hard to kill, but I like as much room for error as I can get with a young hunter.

GeorgiaBob

I have only two suggestions. One you already mentioned and others have endorsed. Do get a round that has plenty of kinetic energy with nominal kick (300 Blackout would be a good choice but there are others). Bunch of folk have already offered good advice on that subject, and I would only add that a common caliber with a variety of loads and bullet weights means that you can start "light" for the young shooter and that hunter, when grown, can still find a good working round..

And more important - IMHO - with an AR for a younger shooter, get an 18" or 20" barrel instead of the carbine length 16". Place either a suppressor can or an effective flash suppressor. That extra barrel length adds muzzle velocity without significant increase in recoil, which will mean better accuracy and more success for a young hunter. A good flash suppressor (or a silencer) will keep the rifle from bucking as much in smaller hands and improve control.

Reactions: Dub

furtaker

No, it's not. The .350's report, is a bit more of a "whoosh" than a "crack" if that makes sense.

Maybe way off base, but I attribute that to the bore size being larger, with roughly the same charge behind it.
In my experience, larger bores aren't as harsh with muzzle blast.

Small bores burning a healthy dose of powder are the worst.

Dub

You can do the 6.5 creedmoor in the AR-15 platform also. I like that round for young hunters.

Wow....didn't realize they'd stuffed them into the AR-15.

I wonder what, if any, compromises were made to move from the AR-10 and reconfigure an AR-15 for it. :huh:

wm742

Wow....didn't realize they'd stuffed them into the AR-15.

I wonder what, if any, compromises were made to move from the AR-10 and reconfigure an AR-15 for it. :huh:
IDK Buddy of mine was on the fence about .350 and 6.5 creedmoor for his. Then he realized how close a cartridge the 6.5 was to the .260 he already hunted with.
So my knowledge is second hand. I did do a quick search(20 sec) and found ar-15 parts for 6.5 creedmoor

Latest posts