AR platform in 6.5 Creedmore or .308..Help

nwgahunter

Guys and Gals,
I have $1000 to spend on an AR platform. I am interested in 6.5 Creedmore or .308. It really doesn't matter to me. The reason for those calibers is the practicality for hunting deer with them and ammo availability.

I know .308 will be more available but Creedmore seems to be more available than ever as well.

I need suggestions for manufacturer as well. Thanks in advance. Links to specific rifle would be a major plus please.

Last edited:

jcd465

Another suggestion

Palmetto state has a 7mm08 in the AR10 platform. It is very accurate and ammo is easy to find.

Last edited:

jmoser

.308 will do everything you can ask for and ammo is always available. No telling if the Creedmore will stay so popular or if it will wind up like many of the WSM/WSSM calibers that were all the rage. 40+ years of proven ammo availability is a good argument for the 7.62 !!

nwgahunter

Palmetto state has a 7mm08 in the AR10 platform. It is very accurate and ammo is easy to find.

That is definitely a thought. I have 2 7mm-08 bolt guns and that caliber is my absolute favorite. I did read that many of the PSA-10 parts are not standard and you have to get them from PSA. That concerns me a bit

nwgahunter

.308 will do everything you can ask for and ammo is always available. No telling if the Creedmore will stay so popular or if it will wind up like many of the WSM/WSSM calibers that were all the rage. 40+ years of proven ammo availability is a good argument for the 7.62 !!

Absolutely true. .308 is my favorite caliber right behind the 7mm-08.

jcd465

You are correct about the parts for the ar10 by palmetto. You have to buy their lower and upper parts. Not a big deal if you can catch them in stock. I am trying a ar10 in 7mm08 for my deer gun this year.

doomtrpr_z71

Stay away from PSA, get a profab lower and a profab upper from aimsurplus in 308, throw in a larue mbt trigger and have a killer 308 for less than $850. If you want a nicer rail and a 16 in barrel, get the guntec mlok railed upper and a ballistic advantage barrel from aim and it'll still run you less than 1k. The MBT trigger is a killer deal since they will knock nearly $100 if you use the Ive got time option.

RamblinWreck

I have the DPMS GII Hunter in .308. I've killed many pigs and 3 deer so far with it, the last two deer last Sat evening. I modified it for my use: cut barrel to 18" and threaded for suppressor, Geissele trigger, adj gas block, and MI rail tube. I love the light weight and power of the platform. Later I plan to have a 7-08 barrel made for it. My pig hunting buddy liked my GII so much he went and bought one. He shoots his bone stock, and does very well with it. It comes with a 2-stage trigger that isn't bad.

nwgahunter

I have the DPMS GII Hunter in .308. I've killed many pigs and 3 deer so far with it, the last two deer last Sat evening. I modified it for my use: cut barrel to 18" and threaded for suppressor, Geissele trigger, adj gas block, and MI rail tube. I love the light weight and power of the platform. Later I plan to have a 7-08 barrel made for it. My pig hunting buddy liked my GII so much he went and bought one. He shoots his bone stock, and does very well with it. It comes with a 2-stage trigger that isn't bad.

You sold me on it. I was looking at the 308L but looked at the G2308L and I LIKE, I will have one coming tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning the G2. I didn;t even know that existed.

nwgahunter

After doing some more research I found that the Remington R-25 G2 is essentially the same as the G2308L from DPMS camo'ed out and a different stock and forearm. It weighs just a little bit less as well.

What is even better is that they make it in 7mm-08. I am still going to get the DPMS but I thought that was interesting.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you decide on a 308 here is a great scope for it.

gt40

PS: Below is what I did with my 5.56 and one of these scopes for a 5.56 and the rings I use with it.

Attachments

• 308 scope .jpg
    308 scope .jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 306
  • upgraded colt .jpg
    upgraded colt .jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 261