Are Wireless Trail Cameras Fair Chase?

Hunting is supposed to be a challenge. Nowadays you can “bowhunt” with a crossbow removing the need for a lot of practice or having to draw the bow undetected.
You can bait the deer removing the need to find feeding areas.
And you can have trail cameras tell you which deer is using the area and when.
At what point is any of that a challenge? I guess it is possible that some are so bad at hunting that even with all the corner cutting they are still having trouble killing deer and it remains a challenge for them?
Cue the “ why Ima best hunter own my leese, I just like cameras” sure ,sure you do

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The next time I'm sitting with my grown son, with a camera, I'll be sure to not tell him when I see a deer coming. Because I am faster than a cellular camera.

I'll even put some batteries in my pocket so I'm electronic. lol

Make sure they are Energizers. You don’t want to go to sleep on him.?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Fair chase went out the window with baiting. Cameras don't attract deer.
I guess today anyone can argue anything !
I see cameras as patterned activities of a deer. Is it attracting no. But I know he is there on a regular route in daylite due to the pictures.
Someone will argue that was not scouting and taking the chance you picked the right spot.

I could care less either way.
Just pointing out how I see everyone reacting today with this internet that was not used not to long ago.

Looks like someone will find fault.

I’m a happy hunter & happy for anyone getting out hunting.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Trail cameras are like naked selfies. It was no fun staring at tracks, rubs, and scrapes as big as the hood of a dump truck. lol

She ain't calling on the rotary phone anymore.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
We should throw everything we use to kill deer away. It should only be legal to make your on bow and arrowhead to use , or a spear ! And no I don’t have a cell cam , the only reason is I enjoy going to the woods about once a week and checking my cams ! And pour out some more corn ?

XIronheadX

We should throw everything we use to kill deer away. It should only be legal to make your on bow and arrowhead to use , or a spear ! And no I don’t have a cell cam , the only reason is I enjoy going to the woods about once a week and checking my cams ! And pour out some more corn ?
I enjoy cell cams, trail cams, walking through the woods for hours on end, and especially helping produce and manage wildlife. Planting food. Native browse. And taking pictures.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

I’m thinking about making my own bow (bows). Maybe arrows next. 1st I might better just get a store bought long bow to start with. ?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Years ago before I got a tractor I would use a Roto tiller. Did great down in the woods plots.
I also mixed oats with corn and had hogs root the oats in getting the corn.

XIronheadX

A cell cam will never prevent me from going to the woods. But, when I can't be there, I'm still enjoying the woods. I'm not anxious until the next time I check trail cams or scout. The fruit of the labor is enjoyed on a screen. With the video clips, and the sound of the rain, the bird sounds, poults, fawns, deer walking around, I find great peace at home.

antharper

Staff member
I enjoy cell cams, trail cams, walking through the woods for hours on end, and especially helping produce and manage wildlife. Planting food. Native browse. And taking pictures.
All of this is above killing a deer , but I do enjoy a freezer full of meat

XIronheadX

The biggest thing cameras have taught me is the big deer disappear into the darkness when the velvet leaves. They come to the light again just before the rut kicks off. And it may be days before one shows back up again the same area. The 2nd rut is more easily patterned for visits. And it may require you sit there a few days. Out of all the cameras over the years, I've yet to find a buck on a routine, daily or time wise. But, there's one stand that has produced 4 years in a row on Thanksgiving morning.

antharper

Staff member
Years ago before I got a tractor I would use a Roto tiller. Did great down in the woods plots.
I also mixed oats with corn and had hogs root the oats in getting the corn.
I did that a couple years ago and the hogs ate all the other seeds also , looked like it had been sifted

antharper

Staff member
The biggest thing cameras have taught me is the big deer disappear into the darkness when the velvet leaves. They come to the light again just before the rut kicks off. And it may be days before one shows back up again the same area. The 2nd rut is more easily patterned for visits. And it may require you sit there a few days. Out of all the cameras over the years, I've yet to find a buck on a routine, daily or time wise. But, there's one stand that has produced 4 years in a row on Thanksgiving morning.
I know where you’ll be November 26th