ATF Decides Solvent Traps are Supressors

GunnSmokeer

If ATF came up with a rule that said that it's illegal to buy a "solvent trap" (which we all know is a 99% complete silencer kit) without registering it on a Form 1 and paying the NFA tax, that's fine, if that was all they did. I could go along with that.

But the effect of ATF declaring that these "fuel filters" and "solvent traps" are suppressors or suppressor parts is that they can't be sold to anybody. The manufacturer would have to be an SOT Class II dealer and FFL holding vendor to sell them. So, these $39 - $99 dollar kits would simply not be available anymore. If any company decided to comply with the NFA per ATF's regs to legally build them and sell them as silencer parts kits, they'd cost $400-$900 just like any other lower-end suppressor.

GunnSmokeer

I'd love to buy a $50 "solvent filter" that I could register on a Form 1 and build into a working .223 / 5.56mm suppressor with only a Ryobi cordless drill and a bench vise. For a total investment of $250 (make that $295 after I get passport sized photos and fingerprinting) it would still be worth it.

But not if the kit itself costs $400 and then I have to add another $250 on top of that.

rosewood

They like turning law abiding citizens into criminals with a memo. Meanwhile ignoring the borders and cities that are rampant with crime.
If they want to reduce crime in this country, stop the illegals coming across the border, especially those of the hardened criminal variety.

Enforce existing laws, no need to create new ones.

Rosewood

Last edited:

rosewood

My solvent trap isn't illegal, it is un-documented.

rosewood

Isn't the idea of the solvent trap is it isn't a suppressor until you complete it? So you can buy one, apply to have it registered, then finish it to save on money? Did the suppressor companies bribe the ATF to keep the prices inflated?

Rosewood

georgia_home

Maglights I guess too. Just need some endcaps… some of those ???freeze plug??? Thingies…

we’re all just criminals waiting to be made. Reference my sig line.

Lilly001

A Mountain Dew bottle is just a bottle until you duct tape it to the barrel of your .22?
They are splitting gnat hairs IMHO.

rosewood

What if we tell them the Russians are coming thru Mexico?

Reactions: Dub