Awesome hunt this evening in Walton County

jason308

I had an awesome hunt this evening and never even touched the trigger!!! At about 6:30 a spike came out about 150 yards from my stand and made his way into the food plot (which some BioLogic has actually survived the drought....). The shot doesn't even cross my mind. Then about 6:33 another spike comes out about 60 yards from my stand and makes his way into the food plot towards the other buck. They look at each other for a while and slowly approach each other. Then they begin to butt heads, and then to spar. They sparred for at least 15 minutes, and then went back to feeding and then sparred for a few more minutes. All the while, they look toward the woodline every few minutes and I am thinking HOSS IS ON THE WAY!!! He didn't show, but it was still amazing. Then at 7:10 they make there way back into the woods, and shooting light is just about gone. A couple of minutes later I hear a racket in the brush, and see a deer step into the plot. I looked through the scope (binos wouldn't gather enough light) and see it is the same spike. Right behind him is his sparring buddy. They proceed to feed again, and spar a little more. I had to wait until it was DARK and they had just left the plot before I got out of the stand, which turned out to be about 7:30. I reckon some of the best hunts can be ones where you never even touch the trigger. It feels good to let them walk, even though you could have shot them countless times, cause who knows what they'll be in a few years. I have about 3 minutes of sparring footage which I will post as soon as I figure out how to get it on the computer and on here (it may be a while). Sorry some of the pics are blurry, I have to figure out how to keep them clear when I post them, and they were all taken at about 100 yards. Enjoy.

Attachments

• spike1.JPG
    spike1.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 277

jason308

Here are some more pics.....

Attachments

• spike2.JPG
    spike2.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 147
  • spike3.JPG
    spike3.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 130
  • spike4.JPG
    spike4.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 128

chickenhunter

Sometimes by not pulling the trigger we learn more. Had you shot the 1st spike right away just think of what you would have missed. Great decision, cool pics

Thunder

Awesome!!!

Jason,

That's what it's all about!!! :clap:

Awesome hunt for you and great pics to boot! Forget the blur in the pic, the memory won't be. :D

jason308

Thanks...

AND NEXT TIME I AM TAKING MY TRIPOD TO THE STAND WITH ME!!!!! :banginghe

kevincox

Those bucks could potentially be B&C bucks in 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 yrs. It is possible. Great pics!

Handgunner

You've seen more than most will ever see!

Congrats on a good hunt. It's not all about the kill. :)

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Cool!!!
Some of my best memorys have nothing to do with the kill.

carabrook

Gone But Not Forgotten
great pictures, love to see them even when it isnt trigger pulling time and you captured some stuff that trigger happy folks never get to see, great job

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Very cool!

Sounds like you had a great afternoon in the stand Jason!

Thanks for sharing!

Mac

Enjoyable afternoon, that is what it is all about.

gacowboy

GONetwork Member
Awesome pictures and hunt!

Jason You are exactly right, some of my best hunts and memories did not involve pulling the trigger or releasing an arrow.

Maybe you will see the 'ole mossy horned buck next time! Good Luck!

:flag: