B.F. Grant Quota hunt

Around the year 2001 I hunted the then 4 day quota hunt on B.F. Grant and killed
a really nice buck that scored 132 with a final net score of 124 5/8. GON gave me a half page picture with my buck. It was #8 all time at the time it was taken - a very proud moment for me as it was the biggest buck of my life at that time. I am disappointed that the quota hunts for this year are only 3 days with the final day being on a Sunday. Being religious, Sundays are spent at church meetings. That leaves me only 2 days of hunting. The 4 day hunts of yesteryear seemed like they started on Wednesday and went through Saturday. The main reason B.F. Grant has big bucks is because of the limited time to hunt them which is a real plus. We used to have only two bow weekends to hunt (public) then the two quota hunts during November. It worked out fine as my buck showed. But to cut the quota hunts down to only 3 days with religious people only getting to hunt 2 of those days is a little much, right? The quota hunts only allow 300 hunters over 11,000 acres. I sincerely believe the herd would not be adversly affected having the extra days of long ago.

Wanderlust

Around the year 2001 I hunted the then 4 day quota hunt on B.F. Grant and killed
a really nice buck that scored 132 with a final net score of 124 5/8. GON gave me a half page picture with my buck. It was #8 all time at the time it was taken - a very proud moment for me as it was the biggest buck of my life at that time. I am disappointed that the quota hunts for this year are only 3 days with the final day being on a Sunday. Being religious, Sundays are spent at church meetings. That leaves me only 2 days of hunting. The 4 day hunts of yesteryear seemed like they started on Wednesday and went through Saturday. The main reason B.F. Grant has big bucks is because of the limited time to hunt them which is a real plus. We used to have only two bow weekends to hunt (public) then the two quota hunts during November. It worked out fine as my buck showed. But to cut the quota hunts down to only 3 days with religious people only getting to hunt 2 of those days is a little much, right? The quota hunts only allow 300 hunters over 11,000 acres. I sincerely believe the herd would not be adversly affected having the extra days of long ago.
Dnr lowered the quota due to the large amount of clear cutting.Screenshot_20220504-123532.png

BBond

Were getting more and more complaints each year and it was all due to less huntable space as there were more clearcuts moving hunters in closer proximity to each other.
Talked to the tech after this year's hunts and he said it was the first time he didn't have hunters complaining about too many hunters.

Also the quotas are Thursday-Saturday.

Were getting more and more complaints each year and it was all due to less huntable space as there were more clearcuts moving hunters in closer proximity to each other.
Talked to the tech after this year's hunts and he said it was the first time he didn't have hunters complaining about too many hunters.

Also the quotas are Thursday-Saturday.
The first hunt is November 4-6. That's Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

BBond

The first hunt is November 4-6. That's Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Nope that was the dates last year. If you’re looking at the regulation booklet it is only good through turkey season. The new booklets come out the end of July or early August.

That hunt will be Nov 3-5 this fall.

Whit90

The quota # change was the right move. The antler restriction change was a bad move. The cutting sucks, but I don't worry about it too much.

If I were you @glenn buckner, I'd be spending that one Sunday in the stand being silent, talking to God. Heck, bring your bible to the tree. There nothing better than being in the woods witnessing what God has created, especially in the early morning.

humblehunter22

The quota # change was the right move. The antler restriction change was a bad move. The cutting sucks, but I don't worry about it too much.

If I were you @glenn buckner, I'd be spending that one Sunday in the stand being silent, talking to God. Heck, bring your bible to the tree. There nothing better than being in the woods witnessing what God has created, especially in the early morning.

Post up on the freshest piece of cutt out there & wait out the guys pushing into the "timbered" sections to bump the deer into the sections of cutt. Go in before sunrise, pack you a sack lunch, take a stand you are most comfortable spending most if not all day in hunting out of or a ground blind as well. But I would plan on having my keester firmly planted for the entire day of each day of the hunt in the fresh sections of cutt, with a tuned up rifle ready for a long shot, & a good piece of glass to scan the areas in the distance.

BASS1FUN

They’ve got a lot of thick pines to lay in but they’re hitting the ground if they walk out in a 2 year old cut, I had a nice one on camera (close to 140) that I think made it, they need to go back to the October archery hunts its to hot in September even though I killed a good one in 2011 that was featured in this year’s September GON. Chiggers ate me up getting him out of there.

Last edited:

dusty200001

if you fall unholy by missing one Sunday of church by being it what god created then you need to be there. You got same opportunity as everyone else. I’d prefer sunday as it’s one less day I have to miss from work. I done a quota hunt this year I had to miss during work week, it is what it is I picked the hunt.