Bass Pro, hand gun ammo behind the counter?

bobbyboy

Hello to all GON members especially the lifers in which I truly enjoy reading and learning from.

Dropped in at Bass Pro today, ( I usually go every so often) like to shop and look around , purchased a UpLuLA mag loader , ( for some reason , you cannot purchase online)

was looking at ammo, found a sign stating all Hand gun ammo behind the counter, asked the cashier on the way out, might be because of limiting :unsure:, not sure though curious.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I was in the Gville Fl store Thur & IIRC, looked at some 9mm on a shelf. Reckon it's an individual store policy?
Was gonna buy some 308 ammo until I saw the price. Regular old 150 grain box of 20? $34.99! Negative.

GregoryB.

Cabelas Ft Mill SC and Bass Pro Concord NC it’s out on the floor. Some of the more expensive self defence ammo is in a locked glass case.

Dub

@bobbyboy congrats on the MagLulla Upula. (y)

It'll make short order of magazine loading. Easy on arthritis, easy regardless how cold it is outside, etc.

Fast, too.

rosewood

Early in the plandemic, Academy kept theirs behind the counter. But lately, when at either BPS or Academy, everything is on the shelf on the floor. Only thing they are hiding is Primers if and when they show up.

Maybe that BPS has issues with ammo walking out?? The local Academy started putting those theft alarm sensors on about all of their ammo boxes, makes it harder to stack them.

Rosewood

krizia829

Hello to all GON members especially the lifers in which I truly enjoy reading and learning from.

Dropped in at Bass Pro today, ( I usually go every so often) like to shop and look around , purchased a UpLuLA mag loader , ( for some reason , you cannot purchase online)

was looking at ammo, found a sign stating all Hand gun ammo behind the counter, asked the cashier on the way out, might be because of limiting :unsure:, not sure though curious.

Hello! Well, I worked behind the gun counter at my local bass pro for 7 years and we stocked handgun ammo behind the counter due to several reasons.

- limited space for inventory
- limited stock available
- purchase limit
- issues with customers stealing / swapping ammo from the boxes to pay less.

We hated having to do this. It was an inconvenience to the customers but it was SOP. The layout for all stores are different, therefore it may look different in Macon, vs where I worked in Miami, for example. Our bass pro is connected to a large mall so we had lots of items being stolen, ammo being a huge hit for us. Also, let's be real.. The cashier's at the store other than the gun counter don't know anything about ammo so customers take advantage of it..

We did have some handgun ammo on the shelves but they were the cheap Tula ammo and other random ammo that no one ever really looked at. If we had a big sale, then we'd have an end cap filled with the fmj's but that was about it and it was always in view of the employees.

whitetailfreak

No ammo behind the counter at Bass Pro Chattanooga. 24 linear feet for customers to self serve.

bobbyboy

@bobbyboy congrats on the MagLulla Upula. (y)

It'll make short order of magazine loading. Easy on arthritis, easy regardless how cold it is outside, etc.

Fast, too.
Hello! Well, I worked behind the gun counter at my local bass pro for 7 years and we stocked handgun ammo behind the counter due to several reasons.

- limited space for inventory
- limited stock available
- purchase limit
- issues with customers stealing / swapping ammo from the boxes to pay less.

We hated having to do this. It was an inconvenience to the customers but it was SOP. The layout for all stores are different, therefore it may look different in Macon, vs where I worked in Miami, for example. Our bass pro is connected to a large mall so we had lots of items being stolen, ammo being a huge hit for us. Also, let's be real.. The cashier's at the store other than the gun counter don't know anything about ammo so customers take advantage of it..

We did have some handgun ammo on the shelves but they were the cheap Tula ammo and other random ammo that no one ever really looked at. If we had a big sale, then we'd have an end cap filled with the fmj's but that was about it and it was always in view of the employees.
\yup, the one up here is connected to a mall also, makes sense,

furtaker

If I owned a gun store there is no way I would keep ammo out on the sales floor. Can't tell you how many times I've gone in Academy and seen boxes with some rounds missing and loose cartridges laying around.

People are both stupid and sorry.

Adam5

What I was at Bass Pro in Lawrenceville a few weeks ago it was all out on the sales floor. Cabelas (owned by Bass Pro) in Acworth is the same way.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
What I was at Bass Pro in Lawrenceville a few weeks ago it was all out on the sales floor. Cabelas (owned by Bass Pro) in Acworth is the same way.
They must have recently changed it, then. I was there on 3/31 and saw handgun ammo behind the counter with everything else on the shelves. It was definitely all on the shelves pre-pandemic. Reckon that gives me an excuse to swing by there again.

whitetailfreak

There have been no policy changes company wide. If a particular store is keeping handgun ammo behind the counter it is a decision that store's leadership has made in a move to protect the store's assets.

jdgator

I have heard low-life people will go in their carry pistol empty, load their pistol from ammo sitting around, and leave without buying anything. It puts the store in a really difficult position.

bobbyboy

yup, behind the gun counter, sign posted on the shelf, who knows what was going on, this was just less that 2 weeks ago,

never thought people would be doing the things I have read here, stealing the ammo, loading the mags, always learning something