Beagle puppy urinating constantly

Mako22

BANNED
Ok first let me say that I have house broken many puppies over the years and know how to crate train a dog with success. I have a 4 month old male beagle pup that we walk at least every hour and even though he urinates outside sometimes he will go on the floor in the house 2 or three more times after being walked. I have no clue how he can hold that much liquid in his body to begin with. In the morning when we first take him out he urinates for a long time and empties his bladder but the rest of the day when walked he seems to be more marking his territory when walked instead of really emptying his bladder out. He has had all four of his initial puppy vet visits and I doubt he has any kind of infection. Im thinking its a training issue. Any advice?

GoldDot40

Are you indeed using the crate to train him? Sounds like he needs more time in the crate until he can control/hold it longer.

georgia357

Probably not as it seems like the dr. would have caught it, but could he be diabetic?

specialk

Did the vet xray him......sounds like bladder stones.....

Dbender

He's just not trained. He's either in the crate or outside until he figures it out. At 4 mos he's distracted by everything outside and needs more frequent trips outside. If he's going in the crate you need a smaller crate.

Mako22

BANNED
He's just not trained. He's either in the crate or outside until he figures it out. At 4 mos he's distracted by everything outside and needs more frequent trips outside. If he's going in the crate you need a smaller crate.
He doesn't go in the crate anymore but keeps going in the house. Since I posted this we have intensified the crate time and walking outside time.

transfixer

I know it doesn't seem fair to the pup, but when they're that young I've always left them in the crate unless I was directly playing with them, or taking them outside, I've never been able to let them roam around the house when that young, they'll end up relieving themselves every time.

Hillbilly stalker

If he is 4 months old and marking his territory already.......he's' not gonna be a good candidate for an inside dog. Big difference in marking and urinating to relieve himself.

Mako22

BANNED
If he is 4 months old and marking his territory already.......he's' not gonna be a good candidate for an inside dog. Big difference in marking and urinating to relieve himself.
He comes from some top line rabbit dog stock so he's got an itch to roam. I'm keeping on a lease whenever he's outside.

Dbender

Some of those top dogs are only bred for running rabbits. They'll pee, poop in the box, eat poop and everything else. Might take a little extra attention to straighten him out. At 4 mos he still doesn't have enough bladder control to be able to roam the house. It's like a little kid, play right up until time to pee and then don't have enough time to make it to the bathroom. A little more time and patience he'll be fine.

Oldstick

My in-laws had a full grown bull dog mix that was friendly and good around the kids. He was an outside dog and good thing because he couldn't control his bladder. Every time you pet him or he got excited for any reason, he would start dribbling on the patio. So it is possible it is just the dog's nature.