Best affordable .223 ammo or bullet type for hogs...

davel

We have been using the Remington Deer Season XP .223 in 64gr and they have been deadly on small to medium sized hogs. The problem is they now want over $35 a box...some almost $40. I'm sorry but that is ridiculous for a .223 round for hogs. What do you recommend as a cost effective alternative? I read soft point bullets work well but will a standard 55gr be enough? Would hollow points be better in 55gr? Will hollow points shoot well under 100yds from an AR?
Thanks for the advice!

trial&error

All AR's are not 5.56 yes same size, and will work. May fail at some point especially shooting by the thousands of rounds.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'll look at the green tips. Thanks
Green tips are military armor-piercing rounds, and won't expand. I don't know about GA, but they are illegal to hunt with in many states. Go with softpoints.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
GA Arms used to sell bulk packs of 55gr SP Ammo. It worked out much cheaper for me,but I haven’t bought any in years. I wonder if they still offer them?
I have had good results with those. I have a bunch of them now that I bought at their booth at a gun show a couple years ago.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I got a box of 68 gr BTHP with Hornady bullets at Cabela’s in Acworth for like $10 ….because they had them! Brown box. They look like 556 with the burnt finish on the brass, but says they are 223 with 2900mvfps

lampern

Military green tip (SS109) bullets fragment and will kill a hog

Winchester sells them in the stores and online

MidwayUSA sells the Israeli version

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Military green tip (SS109) bullets fragment and will kill a hog

Winchester sells them in the stores and online

MidwayUSA sells the Israeli version
So will a big rock, but I ain't hunting with one when there are much, much better options. I have personally found hogs to be much harder to kill than deer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Latest posts