Best affordable .223 ammo or bullet type for hogs...

lampern

Ok. I’ll assume you googled it. I’m just going by what the man in Green Pants told me a few years back.

I’ll stick with my SPs. If you ever some to Ga, you can go with Green Tips..

No it was debated on here at one time.

Hogs are not regulated as game animals in Georgia. Neither are coyotes or armadillos.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I never said military ammo was the best but plenty of hogs have been and are killed with it.
And five times that many are crippled up and wounded.

Lilly001

The problem with most soft point .223 ammo is that it is made for small game/varmits.
They are made for rapid expansion and that is not what you want for hogs, or deer, unless you do head shots exclusively.
Several manufacturers do make deer specific rounds. They are usually soft point 60-65 grain bullets.
I read that Winchester makes a 69 grain that has a modified bullet for use in the slower twist barrels.

davel

Appreciate the advice but on small to medium hogs we need something that expands rapidly. SP, polymer, or something similar. Not familiar with hollow points for an AR. I have used them with my 22 and they work well. All of our shots are under 100yds on hogs.

davel

We do head and neck shots exclusively. Bonded bullets go right through them without much damage.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Possibly but I don't think most people care when it comes to hogs
I do. Nothing deserves a horrible, lingering, suffering death. You probably wouldn't want your kid or family member to stumble into one of those blood-mean wounded hogs that some irresponsible idiot shot that's hiding under a bush in the woods, either.

Lilly001

We do head and neck shots exclusively. Bonded bullets go right through them without much damage.
For exclusively head and neck shots any soft or hollow point should do.
Just match up the bullet weight to your guns barrel twist.
Ammoseek should have a plethora of choices.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

FlipKing

So will a big rock, but I ain't hunting with one when there are much, much better options. I have personally found hogs to be much harder to kill than deer.
I've recovered every hog I've hit with a green tip. Also it really depends on the goal. Harvesting the animal for meat or eradicating an invasive species.

Robust Redhorse

Hogs are not game animals, you can shoot them (on private property) with anything you want.

If you care about recovering the parasite and disease-ridden varmints, you can use Remington Hog Hammer or Winchester Razor Bore or just the cheapest ammo you can find loaded with 62g expanding bullets (55g expanding cheap ammo is made for prairie dogs).

sleepr71

I’ve killed them with HP,SP,FMJ…even BT “Varmint” ammo.you name it…I’ve killed them with it. The most affordable,and RELIABLE performance comes from SP Ammo. I’ve killed way over 100 & agree..they are tougher than a Deer. I would avoid FMJ,because of the chance of ricochet..and having to use multiple shots..equals NO cost savings on Ammo ;)