Best Hog Dog Breed

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer 🐖
I tried this with a boxer/ great dane mix. She started out good but as she got older and "lived" with me, the closer she stayed by. Good squirrel dog and deer pointer but she wont get much farther out of my sight than a couple hundred yards. I've got her on hogs and she'll chase em out and come right back. I had her in cut gear also and it handicaps her agility majorly, I guys that's why you see the bay dogs in just collars or short Stryker vests. Screenshot_20200825-184804_Messages.jpg

Thread starter #23
I tried this with a boxer/ great dane mix. She started out good but as she got older and "lived" with me, the closer she stayed by. Good squirrel dog and deer pointer but she wont get much farther out of my sight than a couple hundred yards. I've got her on hogs and she'll chase em out and come right back. I had her in cut gear also and it handicaps her agility majorly, I guys that's why you see the bay dogs in just collars or short Stryker vests.
Another reason I love this community. Saving me thousands of dollars and a failed hog dog/pet experiment.

She sure is a good lookin pup. Did she get on hog scent OK and help guide you to the general area?

Pig Predator

Another reason I love this community. Saving me thousands of dollars and a failed hog dog/pet experiment.

She sure is a good lookin pup. Did she get on hog scent OK and help guide you to the general area?
Not guide me to hog scent but just recognize game trails and scent. She's pointed at turkeys too. When she sees it.. whatever it is, she just freezes up and stares. If it moves, she'll chase it for a bit and come right back. She doesn't ever report with the exception if bears.

Get you a couple beagles. They make great pets, and are fun to rabbit hunt with. And rabbits are delicious. And don't kill dogs.

Pig Predator

I'm not the one to be giving advice on the hunting dog subject as I didnt listen to advice given to me by hog dog hunters. You dont have to starve them nearly to death but they certainly can't live with you and give you sugars....

Thread starter #27
I'm not the one to be giving advice on the hunting dog subject as I didnt listen to advice given to me by hog dog hunters. You dont have to starve them nearly to death but they certainly can't live with you and give you sugars....
I definitely hear ya. Guess what you're saying is a truly good hog dog is gonna need a tough temperament and laser focus on chasing hogs as much as possible. Or put another way, having a part-time hog dog isn't likely gonna pan out well.

I definitely hear ya. Guess what you're saying is a truly good hog dog is gonna need a tough temperament and laser focus on chasing hogs as much as possible. Or put another way, having a part-time hog dog isn't likely gonna pan out well.
I spent most of my life keeping hunting dogs. Bear hounds, coon hounds, beagles, squirrel dogs. I have also had pet dogs most of that time. The two do not usually overlap.

I second the squirrel dog advice. I have enjoyed this dog more than any of them. Great around people and children and will loose his mind trying to get a squirrel! 38F5D57F-69D0-45EC-B053-EE28135CF982.jpeg 19288B35-32A4-470E-AA3F-451B0FF3EFA8.jpeg

I’ve seen good coon and bear dogs live in the house and even sleep in the bed with kids. Dogs are capable of being pets and turning the switch on when they get it the woods. Some argue that it hurts their hunting ability. I don’t know that it can be proven one way or the other.

I do believe that labs and bird dog breeds are best suited for this. Hounds, beagles, and curs can also make good pets and hunting dogs. My main concern about hog hunting the family pet is that hog dogs as a rule run a much higher risk of injury than other types of hunting dogs. You would need to decide if that is something you are you family are willing to deal with. If having a pet/hunting dog is your goal I wouldn’t be afraid to try it with any other type of dog.

hrstille

Depends on what type of bay dog your looking for. Black mouth's usually don't bark much on track, they usually wind hogs vs using ground scent & they can be funny about running with other dogs. Catahoula's are usually gritty, tight baying dogs which is good & bad. Hounds bark on track the entire time but are usually slow moving dogs. Bird/bulldogs are a crap shoot on catching or baying. All depends on the pack you want & who you hunt with. Some like silent dogs & some like barking dogs. Some like grit & others don't want cut up dogs. They all have their place & you can build a good pack by using some of each. Training & hunting the dogs will make or break them. We run ours in a 5 acre woods pen in the off season & they really pays off.