Best Hog Dog Breed

Jim Boyd

Read this thread with interest.

Back in the 70’s, I had a small female pit, brindle and maybe 35 lbs - her name was Dixie.

Great house and yard dog but unfortunately, in my youth - I allowed and even encouraged some people aggression in her. My fault all the way. Loved us but she was not trustworthy around strangers in certain circumstances.

She had some food aggression also. I could take a T bone steak from her (simply by asking for it) but it was not wise for others to try.

She knew, inherently, how to catch hogs - she had never seen one in her life and the first one she saw - she did not say much, just feinted in a few times (gauging pig speed, I think) then grabbed an ear / side of face and rolled hard. Pig went down (maybe only a 75 lb pig) and as long as it held still, she just laid there and rested. When it did not hold still, she cranked up the hurt.

I am approaching retirement and trying to decide on whether or not to get a dog. It is a big responsibility and we like to travel.

If I get one, it will be an APBT or a Staffordshire Terrier. I prefer a female and I prefer smaller to bigger. I largely would want a simple companion and a dog that would track a wounded deer.

Dixie was the smartest dog I ever saw and had a high drive to please. If you could get her to understand what you wanted, she did it.

All if this to say that a smart pit based dog might be a good house / hunt dog.

Bodine

As one ;who has had Ridgebacks for over 50 years, I can tell you a pure ridgeback is not catch dog. They were bred for their ability to run along horseback for long distances and chase down and hold game at bay. Not only lions but plains game as well. They are not vocal in the chase or when holding at bay.
Their survival as a breed was due to the fact that they held game at bay and did not try to catch it, rather hold it at bay.
Loyal to owners and family they are top notch guard dogs, and trust no one they are not familiar with , especially males.
Very intelligent, need an active life, but still make good house dogs, with proper exercise. Short haired and shed lightly, they are not good homes for fleas and ticks.
Years ago I had one that would retrieve a duck, dude would not chase a ball or stick. They are different and take a while to understand.

I used to hog hunt with dogs down here in Fl when I was in my younger years. You'll alway's have one dog that is your buddy that you take every where you go. If you're only gonna have one dog and want it to last I wouldn't want a catch dog. I'd go for a real gritty bay dog that would catch small hogs and stop the big ones. You're gonna need at least two dogs if you get serious about it. Black Mouth curs are hard to beat when you get a good one.